PDA

View Full Version : Chain Problem

EXriderO2
04-29-2007, 09:17 PM
i have an 02 400ex and im having problems with keeping my chain tight, it seems like after everytime i ride i have to tighten it back up again. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

GPracer2500
04-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Could be that your chain and sprockets are completely worn out. Sometimes when they reach a certain level of "worn-out-ness" the start going down hill so fast it's nearly impossible to keep the chain properly tensioned.

Also, make sure your bearing carrier isn't moving.

EXriderO2
04-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Both sprockets and chain are brand new because i put lower gearing on it. i was told i have to get a new carrier or swingarm is this true?

Dill
04-30-2007, 08:11 AM
mark the carrier and swingarm with a small marker to make sure they are staying put. If they are, the chain is stretching, which almost always happens with new chains for a few rides.

EXriderO2
04-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Okay i can try that, well the chain and sprocket were new from the end of last summer and the chain was actually cut so i could take a few links out because it was way to long but it seems is though this just starting happening, also how tight should the 4 bolts be in the back? thanks for all the help guys

Barrymaxx
04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Make sure your carrier bearings arent shot.

svahle
04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Yep, check the carrier bearings. They can certainly be the cause of your problems. Put your quad up on a jack and check for any slack in carrier bearings. Try to wiggle the axle (up, down, forward, backward, left, right) and look for any play at all in the carrier bearings. I have heard of this causing a chain to loosen more than a few times. Might do a search for other ways to see if the carrier bearing are shot.

I don't know the torque specs for the bolts you referred to, but I make sure mine are pretty tight. I don't know if overtightening can affect bearing wear or not. I do know that if the axle nut is too tight it can cause the bearings to fail prematurely.

Good luck.

GPracer2500
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
The spec for the carrier pinch bolts are 15 ft/lbs.