PDA

View Full Version : Broken shifter shaft

kcalexan83
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Has anyone else had this problemand how did you fix it. It broke right in the small part of the shaft where the bolt goes to hold the shifter on between the two sets of splines. I think what happend was I came down crooked off of a jump and my foot came down on the shifter when I was tryin to save it. I rode like a half a lap after the bad landing and went to down shift and the shifter went down below the net of my nerf bar. I gonna have my dad weld the shifter to the shaft because I dont want to open my engine up yet and I dont have the money right now to replace the whole shaft. I guess if it doesnt work out the most Im really out is a stock shifter. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

JOEX
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
It's not uncommon to break there...:ermm: Becareful welding it though, there's a seal in the case that could be damaged by the heat and cause oil leakage.

Replacing the shaft isn't real difficult for the mechanically inclined.

kcalexan83
04-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Ya my dad and I could do it its just that I dont have the money for it right now and I dont really want to open the engine yet. I bought it brand new in July and the warranty ran out in Jan if they would have even covered it. We think he can get it welded pretty quick and Ill be on water duty as soon as he is ready for it. Lol. Im not 100 percent sure what all it takes to replace the shaft. Any help would be appreciated later on down the road.

JOEX
04-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by kcalexan83
Ya my dad and I could do it its just that I dont have the money for it right now and I dont really want to open the engine yet. I bought it brand new in July and the warranty ran out in Jan if they would have even covered it. We think he can get it welded pretty quick and Ill be on water duty as soon as he is ready for it. Lol. Im not 100 percent sure what all it takes to replace the shaft. Any help would be appreciated later on down the road.
I replaced mine with a Clymer manual and a little help from here:)

Good luck with the repair hope it works for you:)

underpowered
04-30-2007, 07:13 AM
happened to me last year. i welded it on, just placed a cool wet rag around the shaft on the case to help with the heat.

then it broke again, so i replaced it. not that bad of a job if you are mechanically inclined. like joex said. i did it all without a manual, but if you are unfamiliar with the motor i would suggest gettin one.