PDA

View Full Version : One heck of a weekend!

mopar 400
10-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Well this past week I went through some crazy stuff... I started the week ordering a whole new front end, axle, shocks, and various other parts to get my ride closer to completion. I ordered all my parts on Monday and had them ruched herer so I could work on the quad all weekend.

I have had nothiung but trouble... I got the whole front end put together, looks awesome, then start the rear. I had one **** of a time getting my lock nuts off, then to find the darn brake hub assembly is so rusted it wont come off the axle. My axle is siezed in the swingarm... I try to push, beat, pry, even set up a puller to work the axle out to no avail. Well three hours later I have a broken brake disc holder, axle that is beat to he1l and major headache...

So I decide to take the hubs and put them on the new axle to see how it will look.... This is a brand new Lonestar Axle right out of thebox, and has not even been on the ground.. Well one I fit one hub on and no problem looks awesome, so I try the other, Won't fit... I switch the hubs thinking this might work one fits the other doesn't. So now I am at a total loss.

So now I am just going to take the whole swingarm off since I can not get the old axle out. I have a new swingarm on its way anyhow.. Lets hope the rest of the day gets better..

Sorry so long just needed to vent.

DMC mx400ex
10-13-2002, 04:01 PM
lol buy a new carrier too...lol

4punksdad
10-13-2002, 05:41 PM
yeah..........I had a rough weekend too.:D

GT300
10-13-2002, 07:21 PM
Ya riding trails all weekend with friends must be tough on you.:)

Nausty
10-13-2002, 07:36 PM
i'm pretty wore out from the last 3 days, sept i've had a blast. All I did friday was ride, saturday, I rode at a practice track while my dads friend got his bike loaded up in our quad hauller to go racing , sunday I raced in the morning and the races got over at like 4 or 5 and I just got home a couple of hours ago.

The saturday heat I got the holeshot and was in the lead for about 3 laps with a lap to go to have my right tire break its bead to where it was completely empty and the other tire was almost flat.

so we got the tires back on the bead and are rock hard and I come back and whooped everyone in the main, got the holeshot, and left them in the dust and just showed off.

Sunday heat, got the holeshot and placed first, never got passed and never really let the guy behind me get close to me. (raced against stock 400's, raptors, and fully modded quads. pry 2 250r's, 2 440's one was a axis/roll 440). i was pretty happy.

Sunday main, got 3rd in the holeshot and went for second out of the 1st bend on a jump to have the guy next to me on a banshee go way slower off the jump then I did while I was on the very edge of the track and it ended up with my front tire caught inbetween his rear tire and his nerf, so that by the time we were off I was about to get lapped, I didn't give up and just got on it harder than ever and ended up in 6th at the end except for the banshee that I had got caught up with ended up crashing again so basicly I got around 3 more riders.

All of this on a almost stock quad other than tires, shocks and exhaust, performance wise. All on a completely blown rear shock and rock hard tires. Ah what a great weekend. Sept now i'm sore from rolling in the dirt after my crash.

10-14-2002, 07:59 AM
Mopar,,not to be the bearer of bad news..but wait till ya try getting that swingarm off... I tried getting mine off this weekend and after days of soakin it down with PBblaster, lots o beer, 3 lb and 10 lb sledgehammer and a busted up hand from missing the brass punch I give up, mines gonna have to be cut out,,:( :( Hope you have better luck..

Bean
10-14-2002, 11:19 AM
i guess im fortanate, my swingarm bolt, i pulled it out wit my hand, mabe u guys had yamaha bolts?

beerock
10-14-2002, 11:37 AM
the key to the swingarm bolt is to get GREASY.....

I apply grease from a pump directly on my finger and spread it evenly over the entire bolt AND SLEEVE.

I also pump grease in the sleeve itself and then I put the bolt in....

if you dont do that, other way to do it is use permatex antiseize on the bolt......

I had rebuilt my bike last year and changed the swingarm 1 month ago.... I had thought there was enough grease on the bolt when I put it together last year so i just shoved it together......

when i tok my bolt out last month I hit it with a hammer and it barely moved out. I knew right then and there that it was begining to seize up with the sleeve....I banged it a couple more times and it moved.....I took out the bolt and it has sporadic web like lookin rust spots on it.(the begining of seizeing)

So, I wont play that game no more.... lube up that bolt THOROUGHLY, or antiseize it.....or face the consequences...

:o :o

10-14-2002, 11:44 AM
OR,,,ask jeff at the quadshop what the real secret is to doing it and never worring about it again,,but I'm getting with him on this idea he's got. I"m seeing a possible patten that will ease the minds of all us weary guys with stuck pivot bolts..:huh It really is an inginious idea I think and could sell millions..:eek:

knighttime
10-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Rico
OR,,,ask jeff at the quadshop what the real secret is to doing it and never worring about it again,,but I'm getting with him on this idea he's got. I"m seeing a possible patten that will ease the minds of all us weary guys with stuck pivot bolts..:huh It really is an inginious idea I think and could sell millions..:eek:

:confused: :eek:

DMC mx400ex
10-14-2002, 11:52 AM
if i jsut pull it out will the swingarm drop? will the shocks oushing it apart make it hard to line the hole up again?, a week ago i pulled it out just a little cause i didnt want everything to drop

10-14-2002, 11:57 AM
You need to remove the rear shock, and everything in the way and support the swingarm so it doesn't just fall out...sorry to hear you DIDN'T run into a problem..I was hoping everyone could experience the fun of a stuck pivot bolt..:D

Bean
10-14-2002, 12:04 PM
no, i dont need to experence that, LOL, only thing i hav probs with with bolts is stripped threads, which is annoying as well

DEAL
10-14-2002, 12:22 PM
I took my bolt out 2 days ago , thank got i must have just got it in time because the pivoit bolt it looking pretty rusted, i just sanded it with fine sand paper and made a special mixture of never seize and grease and put that on it, i don't think i will have any trouble getting it out next time.

DMC mx400ex
10-14-2002, 12:28 PM
rico should i realy thake the shock off,,, i real dont feel lik doing alot of work....

10-14-2002, 12:36 PM
If you have the quad elevated,,you only have to remove 2 bolts,,real eazy.. or are ya just that lazy???:eek:

DMC mx400ex
10-14-2002, 12:39 PM
real realy lazy...burrr its cold out too. Um what abou the chain just let it hang?