PDA

View Full Version : Damn head gaskets!! Blown / Leaking

02silverpile
04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Ok, so heres my story. Last year I blew a head gasket on my set up. I think it was a wiseco, not sure. Anyways, so I installed GT thunder head studs, and installed a new Numara head gasket (3 piece metal). I even added some copper tack to my current head gasket. i torqued the studs to about 45 ft/lbs. I ran it this weekend and about 2 hours later, I looked down and seen oil. Sure enough i rev it up and could see smoke coming out of the front left corner. This is the exact same place it blew last time. I have hade my head checked at a machine shop. I am within .002". Service limit is .004". My cyclinder is the same. What am I missing? Should I try a different gasket brand? Do I need a gasket? If I was to use honda bond, what type of clearances should I worry about running the New hot cams stage 2.I know the valves are closed at TDC, but I dont know when the valves start to open vs when the piston is coming up or down. I am getting tired of blowing / leaking gaskets, and help is great. Thanks.

Sparky_20
04-29-2007, 10:41 PM
go buy a cosmetic gasket and dont use any liquids or sealants. Torque the bolts down in sequence and you should be good to go.

Old Head
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Sparky_20
go buy a cosmetic gasket and dont use any liquids or sealants. Torque the bolts down in sequence and you should be good to go.

What he said, and while your in there get a stage 2 cam and take out the timing key.

RiderTRX400ex
04-30-2007, 04:50 PM
yea dont use any kind of gasket sealers or anything, make sure the gasket surface of the head and cylinder is completely clean, no oil. i assume the heavy duty head studs can take more torque, because i think for the factory head torque specs its 33 ft lbs