PDA

View Full Version : Ever say you've had enough?

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I think someone has put a little VOODOO hex on our garage this year,it has been a very rough and tough season . We have went to having all our quads running great to all of them not ! I wish I could say it was all due to errors on our end but actually they were not.
Regardless, trying to maintain both of us working two full time jobs and then side work we both do,25-30 hours a week in the garage,part money flying out the door like hotcakes,and to end with the results of being no closer than you were the month before gets very old quickly...

My Husband is thinking on selling out . He tried to put his up for sale once here and I deleted it :o lol
Everyday it seems like its something breaking or not running or parts that dont show up that are promisied ,overnight shipped. ect ..
Do you ever get the same feeling like just giving up and saying to hell with it all? He works so hard and is such a great mechanic, but so little time and soooooo much invested,it almost makes us wonder if its really worth it anymore :ermm:
Just wondered if ya'll feel like this at times . I love this sport but Im wondering if it might be time to call it quits..This would be pretty tough on my kids, but maybe lessen the load and stress if we just moved on to something else. :(

my88r
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
no keep rideing you will miss it to much. theres always problems but once there fixed its a good feeling. if you love rideing it just part of.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by my88r
no keep rideing you will miss it to much. theres always problems but once there fixed its a good feeling. if you love rideing it just part of.
Thats just it though..We rarely ever had problems until now .WE spend more time on the garage than riding so the fun it def. not there right now for at least a couple of us. lol\

I dunno WTF is up with this year,almost makes me wonder if these are signs telling us this for a reason. :huh

x.system
04-29-2007, 07:48 PM
If it were easy everyone would be doing it ;) Hang in there it will all work out.

I actually can't wait until my kids get into racing if they ever do then I can stop and focus on them.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by x.system
If it were easy everyone would be doing it ;) Hang in there it will all work out.

I actually can't wait until my kids get into racing if they ever do then I can stop and focus on them.
I never once said it was easy. Seriously you dont know the half of it..!! :p
I think alot of you would hit the floor if you heard some of my horror stories and Im sure there are many would have shared the same. When you spend more time fixing than riding,thats when I think we have to step back and evaluate things a little more.I cant even seem to get parts shipped to me that should have been here already, order more parts... they dont show either!!Simple things seem to have now become complicating . :(
Were trying to hang in there, but Im tellin ya, were about to give up .

rollie
04-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Your gonna have good times and your gonna have bad times, thats just racing.

haha i got that from cale downen from beating the odds but its true

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I know that. We have had both. But thats just it... We havnet raced this year much,actually my kids have only hit acouple this whole year and my ole man non at all.
Thats just it though... only one rider in my house has actually even got to RACE this year but one other time due to so many complications that cant seem to come together. I know what happens when you race, we have been threw all this for 5 years now. But never, ever have all 4 of us had issues all at the same time :scary:
The kids quads is the toughest to maintain, he spends so much time on theres that he himself never ever gets to ride his at all anymore.
his now is having troubles today. Just shut down after getting ready to hit the trails. He wants to fix it and sell it. I may do the same with mine and just keep the kids.

Im having a pitty party for myself today hoping that maybe it will make me feel better! lol:p

JOEX
04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Lemme know when you put your stuff up for sale....

So I can delete the posts:D

Hang in there Tina, I know you and your family really enjoy this hobby:) Maybe next race everyone will be on the podium;)

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Lemme know when you put your stuff up for sale....

So I can delete the posts:D

Hang in there Tina, I know you and your family really enjoy this hobby:) Maybe next race everyone will be on the podium;)

LOL
Thank you Joe. ;)
It really hurts me seeing my family so sad lately :( Kelsey has had some good times this year, but even with herswe had big obstacles and alot of money to get there.
Thats not what this was supposed to be about .

JOEX
04-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
LOL
Thank you Joe. ;)
It really hurts me seeing my family so sad lately :( Kelsey has had some good times this year, but even with herswe had big obstacles and alot of money to get there.
Thats not what this was supposed to be about .
I know it's difficult but try not to make it about the money. It's often rare to have a family together in a single hobby. Maybe scale back if you have to but don't give it up too quick.... some things are priceless:)

wilkin250r
04-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Scale it back? Has that EVER worked?

I feel for you, Tina. It's rough, especially when you buckle down and decide to spend the money, and the parts don't arrive in time. Now you're out the money and STILL can't race. It's the worst of both worlds.

I vow, if my daughter ever gets into racing, I'm never moving above the beginner class, with a basically stock machine. Once you go foward and get a taste, you can never go back. At that point, it's either keep shelling out the big bucks, or give it up altogether.

JOEX
04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Scaling back doesn't mean you can't proceed in the future;)

I belive you can move forward and get a taste and if you realize you're in over your head it's OK to step back and rethink things while staying in the sport:)

IMO scaling back for QJ could be keeping the racing more local rather than national for the time being;)

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Scaling back doesn't mean you can't proceed in the future;)

I belive you can move forward and get a taste and if you realize you're in over your head it's OK to step back and rethink things while staying in the sport:)

IMO scaling back for QJ could be keeping the racing more local rather than national for the time being;)

There is no more local racing at ALL. :(
Thats why we moved on to something out of the area where there was alot more riders for quads.

Hondadudeehhhh
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Well you and your husband could jsut call it quits for one another. That would cut down on cash and time on two quads. I pretty much got out of riding last year. The only time i really miss it is when we plan a trip up north and i have to scramble to find a bike or quad to barrow. Im sure after football is done i will want to get back into riding, i just dont have the time or money anymore with school and sports. If your kids want to keep riding dont take it away from them. I know watching isnt the best time but its better than seeing your kids be miserable. You and your husband could sell your gear, quads, ect. and get a jeep or something. That way you could still go offroading with your kids but still have a toy for you and troy to not only play with but possibly tow your kids quads. If you and troy decide to call it quits for financial and personal reasons thats fine, just let the kids stay with it if they want.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Once you go foward and get a taste, you can never go back. At that point, it's either keep shelling out the big bucks, or give it up altogether.

Boy you hit that dead on..
Im not sure I even know how to scale back. We are always on the go it seems ,thats all we know! :scary: :p lol
And unfortunatly, to keep competitive you have to move forward to a degree and now they are so hooked and are turning itno great lilttle riders.
At this point I would settle for things to just be moving.. LOL :o

Thats why we dont want to do any major motor work to the Troy or the kids quads, we have enough to just keep them up with the way they are now .

JOEX
04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
There is no more local racing at ALL. :(
Thats why we moved on to something out of the area where there was alot more riders for quads.
I didn't realize it was like that, I just remember reading about all the racing your family did, winning all the time too:D. Thought it was still going on locally for the most part:(

Keep your chip up, hopefully there's some racing developing for those of us in the NW:)

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
Well you and your husband could jsut call it quits for one another. That would cut down on cash and time on two quads. I pretty much got out of riding last year. The only time i really miss it is when we plan a trip up north and i have to scramble to find a bike or quad to barrow. Im sure after football is done i will want to get back into riding, i just dont have the time or money anymore with school and sports. If your kids want to keep riding dont take it away from them. I know watching isnt the best time but its better than seeing your kids be miserable. You and your husband could sell your gear, quads, ect. and get a jeep or something. That way you could still go offroading with your kids but still have a toy for you and troy to not only play with but possibly tow your kids quads. If you and troy decide to call it quits for financial and personal reasons thats fine, just let the kids stay with it if they want.
that may be what we do. Although its tough for the kids to train w/o one of us with a quad in case they get into a bad spot or need towed in the trails ect..
I would give my quad up for sale tomorrow if it meant keeping there happiness, I have no problem with that what so ever. I myself dont find time to ride as much either ,actually I have rode verylittle this year with so many projects now ,but I do like having it for a few laps to clear my head or to just be out with my family.I however do love being a part of the sport and always will . If I sell, I will have a hard time with it ,I love my quad but I will sell if I need to.
Lots to think about ,but keeping them involved is important and I think its a great way to keep kids off the streets and way from Gangs, drugs and all of todays pressures.

And if this damn gas prices keep going up, NONE of US will be able to afford to ride!!:mad:

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I didn't realize it was like that, I just remember reading about all the racing your family did, winning all the time too:D. Thought it was still going on locally for the most part:(

Keep your chip up, hopefully there's some racing developing for those of us in the NW:) Aside of WORCS series racing ,local racing took a big crapper this year. We seen this coming last year so thats why we spent all the last season getting prepared trying to figure out what we could do to keep them still involved and yet still competitive .
We havent raced local since last Fall,well... aside of a few like FT indoors winter season for Troy and a couple MX for Kelsey but thats about it for the year.

dober250R
04-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Everytime I have a catastrophic motor failure, I always ask myself if it's worth it. My transmission exploded on my 250R, so I parted that out. Bought a new 450.... Had to build it (new 450) to my MX specs, and after getting the motor dialed in, I threw a cam sprocket bolt and chewed up the valve cover. We're talking about idling, then taking a slow trip down the road in 3rd gear. Shavings everywhere. Now I have to take it all apart and clean them all out. I guess Red locktite isn't permanent enough!!!...... My motor has about 3 hours run time total on it :grr: :mad:

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by dober250R
Everytime I have a catastrophic motor failure, I always ask myself if it's worth it. My transmission exploded on my 250R, so I parted that out. Bought a new 450.... Had to build it (new 450) to my MX specs, and after getting the motor dialed in, I threw a cam sprocket bolt and chewed up the valve cover. We're talking about idling, then taking a slow trip down the road in 3rd gear. Shavings everywhere. Now I have to take it all apart and clean them all out. I guess Red locktite isn't permanent enough!!!...... My motor has about 3 hours run time total on it :grr: :mad:

eeew... Im sorry to hear that :eek2: :scary:
We went threw some rough times a few yearsago with out Predator. 3 Motors later, we stripped it down and parted it out.

We,meaing my family are liek the 4 musketeers- one for all and all for one!!
And if one doesnt ride, none of us does for the most part.No one even wants to as we each feel the other one is left out.

MY Daughter already said that if her Dad and best riding buddy fr sells, shes done also.

Lots to think about .

Ralph
04-30-2007, 12:53 AM
I know what its like. My bike has held together pretty well. But with college and other things i simply no longer have time to ride. In fact i cant even remember the last time i rode.

Money is an issue too. If i wanna ride this summer I'm gonna have to buy a new steering dampener, probably going to have to get the shocks rebuilt, break pads, and whatever else might be broken. Plus all the gas and riding fees that go along with it all.

Its been sitting in the shed for over a year now.

The only good thing is that the value of used 400ex's has dropped so much it pretty much cant loose anymore...:ermm:

Hopefully things will turn around soon and i will be able to buy a 450r or something in the future. It just doesnt fit into my priorities right now.

wvspeedfreak
04-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Tina,we are in the process of scaling down and we aren't into it half as big as you guys are :p

250rAL
04-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Why not just ride for fun? Use more reliable nearly stock machines and ride when YOU want to, not when a race schedule says you have to. Granted, I'm not that competitve, but I could never see the fun in keeping up with a busy race schedule. It seems almost like work.

Chino886
04-30-2007, 08:26 AM
QJ,

I know how you feel, I went threw the same thought process as you and your husband are going through now. I seized up the crank on 2/17 right after I set up the suspension and waited 2 mos for my a-arms to be completed. I debated for 2 weeks whether to rebuild or to part it out. I decided to rebuild and I have not looked back since. I am just about done and my eyes are on the prize. Sure I have missed a few races but when i kick it over for the first time...............I've WON!

Good luck to you and your fam! What ever decision you make, you know it will be the right one!

Cha cha cha chino!

:)

Quad18star
04-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet and take a break for a while . If you're always in the shop and spending money , you're not having fun anymore ... it's more of a PITA than anything else .

Like someone said , maybe just do trail riding , or pick up a new hobby .

It took my a LONG time before I decided to sell my YFZ and get out of the sport quad stuff , but I ended up buying a Yamaha Grizzly , and I swear it's the BEST thing I've ever done .

I was tired of spending money on performance bikes , only to be worried that something might break everytime I go out ( which usually happened) .... now I jump on the Grizz , add gas , check the oil and ride all day worry free . Best decision and investment I ever made !!!!

QuadJunkies
04-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreicate it.

When we 1st originally got into riding, it wasnt really anything todo with racing. At least,not at 1st ...
But I think I had interest in racing really even before we all got a quad.And once you try it .. OMG... YOUR HOOKED! Its such an addiction!Im sure its not like that for everyone, but I know it is for many ...

I could see if we had raced hard all year long ,yes-things are goign to break .Thats a given. But we havent really done much racing or riding this year.LILQJ is the only one hitting most this year and hers is running the best!:blah: :p
Mine is fine, Im just waiting on the RIGHT PISTON to show up at my door:rolleyes:

Troy and I have talked a little today and our main focus is the kids.We dont want to dissapoint them and we will just wait this out a littlelonger beforereally deciding . Lots to think about and I dont want ot make the wrong choice.
Looks like we will be headed to Cali. next week for Round 5 of WORCS .
Looks like Ill be borrowing a pit quad for myself again for this round :o

I appreciate everyone hearing me out. Talking with others who truly understand does help.

mx428
04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
I've "quit" riding probably atleast 5 times this year. As you might know the 07 CRF250's have a bad bogging problem, and we've spent countless hours and dollars trying to fix it, once that finally got straightened out we had lots of motor problems, I crashed and munched my Yoshi carbon fiber duals, and on and on and on. I think i might finally just say **** it and quit after this season.

mitch91
04-30-2007, 02:32 PM
IMO spend some money now, put new bearings in and ditch the cr85 motor, and toss a crf150r motor in there that has the cam problem sorted out, and you should not have many other problems, cheak every thing over and replace what you think needs to be so it dosent break and then break another part.

ny300exrider
04-30-2007, 03:53 PM
im done, got my quad sitting out front for sale as we speak. ive tried being a long island quad rider for as long as i could go....just too much of a hassle to even get out and ride. going to save my money for a nice vehicle and eventually get a street supermoto

my88r
04-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
im done, got my quad sitting out front for sale as we speak. ive tried being a long island quad rider for as long as i could go....just too much of a hassle to even get out and ride. going to save my money for a nice vehicle and eventually get a street supermoto

those supermotos are nice is there any land that is big enough to ride quads on long island

flht_db
04-30-2007, 04:58 PM
QJ,

I don't know if I could do what you do. Like you guys we have 4 quads also and we don't race like you do. We just started this year and I could see how hectic it will get, one wants to run harescrambles and the other MX. We'll do what we can but it will be mostly local. I could see where keeping 4 race quads going is stressfull.

But as suggested maybe lay back for a year, take long weekends or vacations to places you want to try riding. We went to Durhamtown Plantation in GA a couple weeks ago and had a blast. Everyone there thought we were nuts riding 13 + hours to ride there. But there is nothing like that here.

If racing works for us great if not we'll be doing weekend and vacations cause it's an awesome family sport.

Dennis

wilkin250r
04-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Looks like we will be headed to Cali. next week for Round 5 of WORCS .
Looks like Ill be borrowing a pit quad for myself again for this round :o

If you're willing to plan your route through Reno, Nevada, I'll see what I can do about letting you borrow mine.

04-30-2007, 09:58 PM
just look at my sig

QuadJunkies
04-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by mitch91
IMO spend some money now, put new bearings in and ditch the cr85 motor, and toss a crf150r motor in there that has the cam problem sorted out, and you should not have many other problems, cheak every thing over and replace what you think needs to be so it dosent break and then break another part.
That actually might be a possibitly next season.We have talked about it a little .
But right now we have really no reason to ditch it. ITs been running GREAT! Thehead has been quistionable since the beginning but other than that everything else had been good.(knock on wood! lol)
Ive heard mixed reviews on the 150.we will give Hetricks a call when and if were ready for that next season.
One thing thats nice about the ole 2 stroke is its not too expensive to fix.MY Sons new mini is whats giving us such a hard time :rolleyes: We THINK we have worked out the kinks-cross your fingers:scary: lol

QuadJunkies
04-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by flht_db
QJ,

I don't know if I could do what you do. Like you guys we have 4 quads also and we don't race like you do. We just started this year and I could see how hectic it will get

And then silly me goes and throw the race coverage in the mix too. :o :p LOL
I do enjoy that though.;)
wilkin250r~! I think we actually will be strolling threw there and I think wemay be staying overnight on the way home in Reno.
thank you for the ofer,thats VERY generous of you!
Ill let you know how things go. Sometimes I dont know until were there :p
We got 3 out of 4 quads running today with a simple fix. YAY!
Mine is all thats left.

QuadJunkies
05-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by mx428
I've "quit" riding probably atleast 5 times this year. As you might know the 07 CRF250's have a bad bogging problem, and we've spent countless hours and dollars trying to fix it, once that finally got straightened out we had lots of motor problems, I crashed and munched my Yoshi carbon fiber duals, and on and on and on. I think i might finally just say **** it and quit after this season.
I munched my Yoshi a few years back too when my rear shock was blown :ermm:
Im sorry to hear that :(
What I wanna know is how does all the companies sleep at night knowing they take everyones hard earned money and doesnt deliver what you pay for? I cant count how many parts and shipping Ive pd for to be pushed until the rug or forgot.. Im still waiting to get my refund on overnight Sat. shipping that never arrived on a Sat.:grr: That was not cheap!
Tht alone makes you not want to spend anything more than you have to

mephyst
05-01-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm still having second thoughts about returning back to riding full time next season or not... My story is a little different, instead of finances it's my personal health. I broke my back Thanksgiving and haven't felt completely comfortable on my quad yet. I'm 90% healed as of now...

I don't know, maybe I will lay off the quad for a season, possibly sell it and see how I feel on my 2 wheeler. Hmmm....

Sometimes I just think... is it really worth it?

After all this I'm thinking to myself again right now: "who am I kidding... I know I'll be back!" :p

QuadJunkies
05-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
I'm still having second thoughts about returning back to riding full time next season or not... My story is a little different, instead of finances it's my personal health. I broke my back Thanksgiving and haven't felt completely comfortable on my quad yet. I'm 90% healed as of now...

I don't know, maybe I will lay off the quad for a season, possibly sell it and see how I feel on my 2 wheeler. Hmmm....

Sometimes I just think... is it really worth it?

After all this I'm thinking to myself again right now: "who am I kidding... I know I'll be back!" :p

Speedy recovery! I know how back injuries can be.Mine still bothers me after 2 years:ermm: