PDA

View Full Version : crank case cover busting...

blk05_450r
04-29-2007, 06:18 PM
is it a bad crank bearing that would cause the crank case cover (right side) to crack open....not once, but twice, right on the back side by the kick start....bought a new cover, gaskets, bearings, etc.... the first time, and after one ride, it's cracked again....any help please ???

Sjorge450R
04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by blk05_450r
is it a bad crank bearing that would cause the crank case cover (right side) to crack open....not once, but twice, right on the back side by the kick start....bought a new cover, gaskets, bearings, etc.... the first time, and after one ride, it's cracked again....any help please ???

one question. Do yougive it gas when you are kicking it?

kazpr
04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by blk05_450r

There is a part update from honda on this. I had a friend who replaced 4 side covers before there was a new replacement part. Contact your dealer.

TMSmx47
04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I never heard of this replacement part?!?! I have had the same problem. First time maybe I hit the gas and it caused it, but the second time no way! I did alot of reasearch on this problem and have found out that its most commenly caused by a really bad lean condition! Which after looking into it, that was exactly what it was. Also while its apart now, look at your kicker IDLER GEAR, make sure none of the teeth are chipped off, new thrust washers are replaced that go on the gear between your KICKER SPINDLE and IDLER GEAR.. And lastly, give a real good inspection of the inner case along that small bearing that the KICKER SPINDLE rides in. Very commen to crack there also after second or third time of this happening. Once thats all good, check your plug to see how bad your lean condition is(if any) but most commen problem.

desratt
04-29-2007, 09:06 PM
i have also replaced 4 of these.. and after sleep less nights I have come to the conclusion that it is.. the ignition timing firing before top dead center when kicking it over...and throwing it backwards.

if you give it gas when kicking it the throttle position sensor knows this and tells the cdi to advance the timing.. also after market cdi's will advance the timing..

I haven't had it happen on my 06 kicker yet..

although it will kick back on me every now and then.

Big Red Menace
04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda service rep told me that multiple cover failures might be caused by gears that aren't machined concentric. Every one that we've replaced the kicker gears hasn't had a repeat failure. Might want to try that.

kazpr
04-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Ya u have to replace something new. I tried to get a hold of my friend the kicker spindle/gear sounds close. The bike of my friends was not from a lean condition as it was on the dyno the day before the first case broke.

desratt
04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
mine actually runs rich on the pilot. I have to hold the hot start lever even when it is cold.