PDA

View Full Version : Getting Gurus

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 06:17 PM
We could use some imput .We have never had an insulator stay half black and white so were a little stumped on this one .

The main looks good, the pilot looks good.. But the needle seems to go richer, but when you do it blubbers and falls on its face badly.

We are using a borrowed 52mm cylinder until ours is SUPPOSED to show up any day now and had to have a custom head cut for it so my Son could get some seat time in,poor kid hasnt had any seat time and has a race in less than 2 weeks. :(

We we dont see some positive results in the next month, we may be getting completely out of the sport. My Husband has completly had it ,tired and burned out at this point.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296566

newnick
04-29-2007, 07:30 PM
I got the yellow color also with the c12.
The color on one side of the plug and white on the other may be because the plug hasn't been run long enough to color both sides yet. The times I run something other than c12 I don't see the yellow color. From all I've read about reading plugs, it's the smoke ring down deep on the insulator that tells you how your jetted on the main. I try to get crisp response from idle through to the main without the blubber. The hardest part for me is the pilot. Try some vp110 mixed with pump gas, I've been using it this year on the Eton and it seams to be running better.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
We just used the last of the C12 today,so another fuel idea we are up for .
Ill have to findout about this other fuel I was reccomened by my Daughters motor builder. He said it was 1/2 the price of c12 and was a 110 Octane I think. Ill make sure and find out .
It is a newer plug so maybe thats the case.
So why would it color literally 1/2 and 1/2? Its literally right down the middle . I know my 300ex usedto be like that and it never diid color up the same as the other side did so we just left it.
Im a bagof nerves with all the hell we have been threw since Jan. and want NOTHING to go wrong for my Boys sake this time.

newnick
04-30-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm no expert, just like you I try to do what I can to keep it all together.
The dark side of the plug is probably facing the exhaust. I have seen the half and half coloration on our motor but I don't consider it something to worry about.

LT80
04-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Your motor builder cannot advise you?

Compression dictates octane. A 50/50 mix of 110 and 92 octane pumo gas should come in about 105 octane, which is where I would want it.
Do you space the spark plug so the electrode gap is pointing toward the exhaust?

FYI: I use the plug color as a "sort of" thing.
I've found that different oils color different, regardless of jetting.

QuadJunkies
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by LT80
Your motor builder cannot advise you?

Never said the builder could not advise. ;) He is very knowleable, just a busy man..
We have a builder for Kelseys, but my Hubby will do mainly everything on Brandons ,maybe a little from her builder as well.
It is the wk. end and I wanted to get some imput until we went threw it with him.

VP C110? We dont carry a fuel like that here?? They make a 110?

LT80-
Our specs are c12 108 and 91 pump gas makes it 100 octane(99.5 I think )
We cant get 93 octane here either so we run 91.
The math is def. correct but thats not our mix-We get that part ;)

He rode it long enough to put color on both sides, he went threw 3/4 of a tank of gas.

QuadJunkies
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM
BTW... Did I mention for the 1st time in a long time it ran GREAT!:D :macho
It was nice to see him ride a whole day for a change!
Hes pretty rusty but being up and running is a great start! :)

newnick
04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
If it ran great, you must be doin something right. VP 110 is what we're using mixed with Reg. pump gas, 87 octane.