PDA

View Full Version : Cooling the R

garrettagr
04-29-2007, 09:43 AM
alright, i just sunk a ton of money into my R motor and I want to make sure I keep it cool. I have seen some guys who run two radiators instead of the one oversided one. I saw it on the 425 PSI motor test quad. I would think that this would be easy and cheaper than a bigger rad. What do you think, and does the R water pump have enough flow to pass it through two radiators. Also do those inline coolers really work or are they just a gimmick. thanks

LathersR
04-29-2007, 09:51 AM
The inline coolers actually worked. I used to use a 21 fin, and a 6 fin/temp gauge. It worked even worked really great on my 330 in the blazin hot weather. If you run just the stock radiator on anything I would recommend those inline coolers. But I bought a 350 and decided to run a larger 3" oversize radiator.. cooler the motor the faster it will go and better it will run!

707trx250r
04-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I run the stock radiator with one inline cooler on my NPRD 350.
It never gets over 200 degrees. It usually runs about 150 but when I am doing some crawling and creek runs it gets a little warm. I have never had it over heat or boil over.
LAter
ADAM

RichM1983
04-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by garrettagr
alright, i just sunk a ton of money into my R motor and I want to make sure I keep it cool. I have seen some guys who run two radiators instead of the one oversided one. I saw it on the 425 PSI motor test quad. I would think that this would be easy and cheaper than a bigger rad. What do you think, and does the R water pump have enough flow to pass it through two radiators. Also do those inline coolers really work or are they just a gimmick. thanks

I want to know more about this 2 radiator setup myself. I have a spare that I could mount up to run 2.

wilkin250r
04-29-2007, 05:49 PM
I've done a lot of work in thermodynamics. Those inline coolers do NOT work.

They don't hurt, but they don't help nearly as much as they claim. They say 10-15 degrees, which is bull. If they worked that well, you could replace your entire radiator with 4 or 5 inline coolers, do you really think that's possible? At most, I would say the inline coolers help 1-2 degrees.

But the products like Engine Ice and Water Wetter DO work. I'll explain how.

Glycol (antifreeze) is a terrible coolant. It doesn't transfer heat very well. Just getting rid of the glycol will lower your temps by 5-10 degrees, but there is a catch.

Glycol isn't the only component in antifreeze, it also has corrosion inhibitors. If you run pure water, you'll lower your temps, but you will also rust and corrode, and eventually ruin your motor.

The solution: Water Wetter. It contains the corrosion inhibitors you need, but without the glycol. It also reduces surface tension of the water, which helps a LOT, and reduces temps another 5-10 degrees.

So Water Wetter, mixed with water, will lower your temps about 10-20 degrees. (average is about 15 degrees). The only drawback is freezing, because without that glycol, you have no protection against freezing. If your quad ever sees freezing temps in storage, you NEED to have some sort of antifreeze. Engine Ice is also a good product, and contains glycol, which helps protect from freezing, but will probably run about 5 degrees hotter than Water Wetter and water, simply because of the glycol.

Rich250RRacer
04-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I've done a lot of work in thermodynamics. Those inline coolers do NOT work.

They don't hurt, but they don't help nearly as much as they claim. They say 10-15 degrees, which is bull. If they worked that well, you could replace your entire radiator with 4 or 5 inline coolers, do you really think that's possible? At most, I would say the inline coolers help 1-2 degrees.

But the products like Engine Ice and Water Wetter DO work. I'll explain how.

Glycol (antifreeze) is a terrible coolant. It doesn't transfer heat very well. Just getting rid of the glycol will lower your temps by 5-10 degrees, but there is a catch.

Glycol isn't the only component in antifreeze, it also has corrosion inhibitors. If you run pure water, you'll lower your temps, but you will also rust and corrode, and eventually ruin your motor.

The solution: Water Wetter. It contains the corrosion inhibitors you need, but without the glycol. It also reduces surface tension of the water, which helps a LOT, and reduces temps another 5-10 degrees.

So Water Wetter, mixed with water, will lower your temps about 10-20 degrees. (average is about 15 degrees). The only drawback is freezing, because without that glycol, you have no protection against freezing. If your quad ever sees freezing temps in storage, you NEED to have some sort of antifreeze. Engine Ice is also a good product, and contains glycol, which helps protect from freezing, but will probably run about 5 degrees hotter than Water Wetter and water, simply because of the glycol.

I have to agree Wilkin, they don't really work, but the Pro-Design in-line cooler does help. It is restricted to slow down the flow back to the radiator, giving the coolant a little more time in the radiator.

RichM1983
04-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by garrettagr
I have seen some guys who run two radiators instead of the one oversided one. I saw it on the 425 PSI motor test quad. I would think that this would be easy and cheaper than a bigger rad. What do you think, and does the R water pump have enough flow to pass it through two radiators.

This is what Im most interested in. Anyone have any info on it?