PDA

View Full Version : clutch failure question

kiesta00
04-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Today I rode my bike with the new clutch basket and new 22" paddles along with a new +6 swingarm...it was all good until after 1 minute of riding. I putted to the dragging hill, made a few warm up rips, the bike kept coming up even with the +6 swingarm, so I know the engine is making good power and the paddles are hooking up good.

Then all of a sudden it just quit pulling, and in every gear the rpms would just sky rocket to the limiter. I had to put around all day, didnt even get to race. The clutch pull seemed very easy after this happened. I have a brand new PE billet clutch basket, EBC dirtracer clutch which is obviously trashed, its not that old maybe 10 trips old. What would cause the clutch to just burn up and start slipping?

Also, I'm getting the clutch update kit, along with an oem inner hub, whats a good clutch kit/spring kit for bikes with very modded motors? I use 40W oil and change it every ride or two. Any suggestions on good oil to use? I was very pissed today when the clutch went out, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

clutch22
04-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I have an EBC clutch in mine, and i hate it... it burnt up fast... i hear that the tusk HD kits are good...and cheap.... but idk

I use Bel Ray Gear Saver oil ...

do a search on clutch setups in this forum.. its been talked about a lot.

koh0001
04-30-2007, 06:40 AM
STOCK fiber, and plates, barnett Heavy duty springs. I've tried all the cheep ones and they never last. Servicehonda.com you can get stock ones for $92.00.

86 Quad R
05-01-2007, 01:25 PM
has your center hub got any grooves in it? did you soak those new clutches? what "40w" oil are you using? was your clutch adjusted properly to begin with?

i've used EBC fibers and OEM steels/springs for years without a lick of trouble. :blah:

kiesta00
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Yes my hub has grooves in it, i'm going to order a new one. The oil is castrol HD 40W. I guess that clutch pack didn't like the abuse as much as some do. I'm going with oem fibers/steels and hd springs. thanks for the help

86 Quad R
05-01-2007, 03:22 PM
for future reference.... do not use oil that have friction modifiers in it. only use oil that is designed for wet clutch applications or those that dont have friction modifiers in it.

Scott-300ex
05-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Maybe your runnin it to hard cuz I'm sure your doin nothin but popin that clutch with a good amount of rpms. So if they make ceramic get one of them.

kiesta00
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I think I just need to cut the tranny 1-4 and get a lockup :D

I'll probably switch back to the honda transmission oil, how often do you guys change your synthetic oil?

86 Quad R
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
depends on how hard its run that particular weekend and if ya ride both days. i gather you do mostly sand dune riding/dragging. therefor, i'd change it atleast once a week or so. have ya ever considered running ATF as a lube?

also if you are serious about having a tranny cut i'd reccomend doing a 2-5 and be sure to have it cut as a "Dunable" otherwise you'll be pissing in the wind. :eek2:

let me know.... i have the hook up on a overide tranny builder.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
86, you think I should tell him about my clutch mod.
Neil

86 Quad R
05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
lol i dunno. may save him a another clutch build or three :devil:

kiesta00
05-02-2007, 02:58 PM
cmon guys dont leave me in the dark. May have to try that ATF , its some cheap stuff compared to honda tranny oil.

I didn't think 250r trannys could be cut in a dunable override, only regular 1-4 or 2-4??

Neil...whats your clutch mod??

86 Quad R
05-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by kiesta00
I didn't think 250r trannys could be cut in a dunable override, only regular 1-4 or 2-4?? Neil...whats your clutch mod??

maybe not..... could be that only banshee trannies can be done that way. i'll have to check kiest;)

edit::

i checked with my machinist and i stand corrected. the 250R tranny cant be cut as a dunable because there isnt enough room in the fork area to do so. he also told me that unless you are doing "ONLY" straight line running that it isnt worth the effort to cut the tranny. meaning that recreational riding will promote backlash on the tranny which isnt good.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Ok, here goes.

5 CR500 clutch springs
5 aluminum drain bolt washers, (likes on the 250R trans drain bolt)
1 400EX steel clutch plate.

Take one of the 250R steel clutch plates out on the clutch pack & replace it with the 400EX one.
(you can put 2 250R steel plates together, but the one 400EX is better)
Put one aluminum washer between each CR500 spring & spring bolt being sure the washer hole lines up the the inner basket stud.
Now, if your fiber plates need replacing just get what ever kind you can find cause it makes no difference if they are high priced or cheap brand.
I use a cheap set J&M Supply sells for 30.00.

May want to after you do the mod to get you a easy pull lever & new cable or either work those left hand clutch fingers.
Realy though, my daughters R is set up like this & her cable was about froze up & didnt have a problem with the lever.
Built her engine in 04 & those same plates are still in there today.
Neil

kiesta00
05-03-2007, 09:15 AM
you mean 5 springs and washers right??

So the 400ex plate is thicker, therefore compressing the springs just a little more for better holding capacity. Then adding the washers under the cr500 springs increses the spring's force even more.

Force(spring) = spring constant * distance compressed. More compression = more force on the clutch pack. I just bought a new clutch cable, so I should be ok. makes sense. Thanks Neil.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by kiesta00
you mean 5 springs and washers right??

So the 400ex plate is thicker, therefore compressing the springs just a little more for better holding capacity. Then adding the washers under the cr500 springs increses the spring's force even more.

Force(spring) = spring constant * distance compressed. More compression = more force on the clutch pack. I just bought a new clutch cable, so I should be ok. makes sense. Thanks Neil.

Yeah, I ment 5 springs & washers.
I guess I was in wishfull thinking land hopeing somebody one day would do a 250R clutch with 6 springs.
I went back & changed my post as well.

Looks like you have it figured out, more presure less slip, longer lasting clutch.
Neil

wilkin250r
05-05-2007, 02:06 PM
When you get the clutch apart, let us know what it looks like, I'm curious to know exactly how it failed.