PDA

View Full Version : Vin Number

jrss13
04-28-2007, 05:18 PM
I just purchased a '99 400EX today that did not come with any title or anything. The seller wrote me a bill of sale, but I do not have any title. I was going to try to locate the VIN number to see if I could possibly fill out paperwork for a lost title...but I was not able to locate it. It says it is on the front left frame down tube when I searched online, but I was not able to locate it. Do I need to take off any plastics or anything to locate it? The frame has been powder coated, so I am wondering if it maybe was taken off?
If anyone has any pics of where it may be, it would be super helpful.
Thanks

MO-EX-RIDER
04-28-2007, 05:33 PM
upper cross bar in between the front shocks....if its been powdercoated it might be hard to see

hornetgod13
04-28-2007, 05:48 PM
You might have bought stolen quad.

Ruby Soho
04-28-2007, 05:52 PM
im not sure but look on the bumper mount bar

blasterandy
04-28-2007, 07:16 PM
If you cant see it take a picture with a very nice digital camera of the frame cross tube. Then go to photo shop and edit the saturation and contrast and it can help bring out the numbers. you can also take black grease and rub it on it then rub it off and sometimes that will bring it out.
but if it was p/c it would not have a sticker on it.

jrss13
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Ok, so I sanded down the powder coating and found the vin on the flat bar above the bumper mount. It actually seems to be a 2000, when I thought it was a 1999. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for how I can register this quad without the title. I have looked around on some sites and checked out the vin, and it does NOT match up to any stolen quads. I highly doubt it was stolen, however you never know.

Does anyone have any idea how to register this thing in NYS without proof of ownership other than a bill of sale from the individual I bought it from?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Valhalla
05-04-2007, 11:08 PM
im going through tthe same thing right now. the guy i bought my 400ex from built it from scratch using ebay parts. i had the vin and motor numbers ran through the AZ DMV and they say they come up clear, BUT they cant issue a title because of some bull**** that the original owner never titled it and he would have to do that before i can ( NJ didnt require him to). his quad was repoed and sold at auction where it was parted out on ebay. all i have is the auction paperwoek showing it was sold to the person that parted it out and bills of sale from that guy to the guy who rebuilt it and sold it to me.

the good news is that he used ALOT of brand new parts when building it and i'l bet i have the best looking stock 2004 model around and got it at a smokign price.

so, if any of you ahve a frame with clear title you wanna part with, let me know. i've given up on trackign down the original owner and am just riding it like it is.

oldschool73
05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I bought mine from a guy in North Carolina I think it was , They don't require quad registration their. Our state just required it to be a new registration and didn't even question reregistering it.

kwik02gixxer
05-05-2007, 07:21 PM
i just went through this today im in ohio all i had was a bill of sale toke it to the bmv they did a inspection on it and gave me a title for it

jrss13
05-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Sounds like not every state is as bad as New York. I think I'm out of luck without having a title. DMV basically told me I need to contact the last owner who had it registered...and unfortunately the guy I bought it for never registered it. Don't have any way to contact the person he bought it from.

Unless anyone has any suggestions, I think I'm out of luck.