PDA

View Full Version : HD head studs?

REDRIDDER
04-28-2007, 12:46 PM
How many of you are actually running the HD head studs and why?is it because of a gasket problem,just did it to be safe, IMO i think if your head is fairly flush or you have your haed decked you really don't need HD studs unless your threads are bad or are on their way to being bad, i know every ones going to say you need them but i want to hear for people that have big bores and don't have the studs,i really think that blowing your head gasket comes form having a slightly warped head or a cheap gasket,uneven torque specs.Im not saying that i wouldn't use them its just that if every thing is with in specs you should be fine,me personally i mic everything to a t,plus when you rebuild you engine check out your existing studs do they looked like they need to be replaced do the threads come out with the studs what compression ratio are you running. lets hear your opinion

400exrider707
04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Most run the heavy duty studs because the motor has problems handling anything over 11:1 compression. The extra heat breaks down the aluminum in the head and the studs start pulling the threads clean out. You will notice it if you start leaking around the head gasket area.

exrider008
04-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Most run the heavy duty studs because the motor has problems handling anything over 11:1 compression. The extra heat breaks down the aluminum in the head and the studs start pulling the threads clean out. You will notice it if you start leaking around the head gasket area.
exactly, I put HD studs in mine because the stock ones will rip right out with high comp pistons. i always say "do it right the first time" if ur going with higher compression then put the HD studs in because if u dont, when they rip out or you keep blowing out the base gasket you'll be saying i wish i put them in the first time.

gojk
04-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I blew the head gasket 3 times before I decided to just get the head studs put in. Haven't had a single problem since. It seems that the exhaust side head stud is almost always the first one to go.

redrideronly
05-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Everyone nailed this one on the head.. the increase compression is putting the stress on the threads and studs. Heavier duty bolts and studs and even helicoils definately help. Examine your gaskets I be they are not even blown... At least that was the deal with my bike. Gaskets were fine but the threads needed to be retapped with helicoils

thanks
RedRiderOnly
Ride it like you stole it!

Ruby Soho
05-09-2007, 06:17 AM
I put mine in because I blew 2 head gaskets. Read up on it and got the HD studs, and shes good. First gasket I blew was the Cometic MLS. Good gasket. When tourqing down the head we double and even triple checked each tourq on all the studs. The engine gets to hot and cant handle it, well the studs that is.

400exrider707
05-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Also as a note, if you try to tap it out youself, or if you install heli-coils, you will NOT be able to get the heavy duty head studs installed, and will need a new cylinder. Do it right the first time. If you are willing to pay the money for the power, you need to be able to pay the money to hold the power.

Ruby Soho
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Also as a note, if you try to tap it out youself, or if you install heli-coils, you will NOT be able to get the heavy duty head studs installed, and will need a new cylinder. Do it right the first time. If you are willing to pay the money for the power, you need to be able to pay the money to hold the power.

Couldn't have said it better myself.