PDA

View Full Version : Oil

Evader53
04-28-2007, 12:46 PM
I recently had our warriors serviced by our local yamaha dealer. They of course fill the quads with their yamalube stuff.

The guy there recommended to buy Rotella T heavy duty motor oil (15w-40) in place of buying atv oil. On the back of this container, it shows pictures of big stuff like trucks, tractors, etc... Is this stuff good to use in our warriors in place of atv engine oil?

Also, since there already is some yamalube oil in the engine, is it ok to add some different kind of oil and basically (mix) the two?

Thanks

If this oil is no good, could you suggest a better oil?

bolinger06
04-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Ive been Hearing of Amsoil alot but i'm not to sure where to get it at. I'll be doing an oil change in the next week and need to pick some up myself, just need to find out where they have it at.

Old Head
04-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Can only order amsoil from them or some one that is a dealer for them.http://www.amsoil.com/

Old Head
04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
make sure you get the one for wet clutches:D

05Z400rdr
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
you can also order from AMSOIL via phone at: 1-800-777-7094

Warlord
04-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Evader53
Is this stuff good to use in our warriors in place of atv engine oil?

No, it is not good to use. It is GREAT! The only thing you get by buying yamalube is a much lighter wallet.

madsteam
05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Does any body know if i can use car motor oil example castrol 10-40 how about synthetics thanks for any help

sico6suz450
05-31-2007, 02:52 PM
I would not use regular motor oil, the rotella is what i run in my bike just because it is readily available to me. regular oils have friction modifiers in them which arent good for atv/motorcycle engines.

jlraska
05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
if using the non synthetic you may want to change it more often. in my raptor i use rottela t 5-40 synthetic and change @ every 20-25 hours

jaypeeroe
07-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by jlraska
if using the non synthetic you may want to change it more often. in my raptor i use rottela t 5-40 synthetic and change @ every 20-25 hours

every 20-25????

i change my oil in my 450R every 3-5 hours depending on if those hours are race hours or trail riding.

jlraska
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
3-5 hours wasting your money

jaypeeroe
07-15-2009, 06:56 PM
i'd rather waste some money, than waste my motor.

oil is cheap.

i'm not talking about 3-5 hours of riding around a pasture.

mcgrath
07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
oil doesn't breakdown in 3-5 hours no matter how you ride. but the oil companies appreciate it.

z400mayhem
07-31-2009, 09:25 AM
I use Bel-Ray oils, its good stuff !

XcYFZRacer
08-01-2009, 09:49 AM
What you have to consider with oil changes is that in a 450 such as YFZ, LTR, KFX etc. is the RPM's are greater than a Warrior. How often do you run a warrior around with it bouncing off the rev limiter, I can only assume it is much less often than when racing a 450, at which it hits the limiter the biggest part of the time when racing. So changing oil in a 450 motor under racing conditions @ 3-5 hours is advised, as to where a warrior may only need changed @ 30-40 hours or maybe even longer. For what it is worth all 5 quads and 3 Bikes in our garage which all are 450cc we only use Lucas Pure Synthetic w/ K&N oil filters that stuff is awesome, and remember support those that support your sport.

ccdhowell
08-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by jlraska
3-5 hours wasting your money

I XC race my Raptor 700 and change the oil after each race weekend, about 6 - 8 hours on the oil. The oil is trashed after that period of racing. Next time you change oil take a small amount and send it in to an oil analysis lab and get them to check the oil for you, more than likely it will be junk. The engines with a shared sump with the transmission will wear oil much faster than those that aren't shared sump. The trans gears shear the oil very quickly if ran hard at all. My engine shears very good oil(Red Line Raceing 40wt) from a 40wt to a low 30wt oil in 6 hours or so. Fuel dilution is another problem with high strung ATV engines. There is much more blowby than many people would suspect. Oil is too cheap and too easy to change to guess. A used oil analysis from a lab is an inespensive way to know and not guess about the quality of the oil you are using. It will also tell you other things like if your intake is letting it too much dirt and if your jetting is too rich because it will show too much fuel in your oil. It can also detect a weeping head gasket becasue an oil analysis can detect small amounts of antifreeze chemical in the oil which could save you more costly repairs later if you catch it early. Different engines have different oil requirements. I say, start with whatever oil you like, run it and drain it a couple times then take a sample on the second drain and send it off for analyisis. You may be surprized at how fast the oil shears out of grade and becomes diluted with fuel.

bushbow
08-31-2009, 05:18 AM
So if I use "any" fully synthetic it will be a good choice? I have been gifted and older(85-89) 225 moto 4 yamaha that runs well and is used to putz around the yard and maybe haul a deer or two out of the woods. I changed the oil and cleaned the filter. Oil I used is fully synthetic 5w30 Valvoline. Seems to be running better: ie. smoother and quieter than it did with the old, trashed oil that was in it. Is there any problem with not using an ATV oil?

I chose the 5w30 because this machine will be running in colder, Michigan, winer conditions and I will change it to 10-40 in the spring based on advice I get here.

Thanks - Bob Urban

ccdhowell
08-31-2009, 08:33 AM
I would say that just about any syn oil will work great for you. Stay away from the oils with the energy conserving starburst symbol on them, they have friction modifiers than your clutch won't like. Other than than, you may find an odd oil or two that your engine doesn't like, but let the engine tell you what it likes, if it runs good and the clutch doesn't slip then you've found your oil.