PDA

View Full Version : 250r engine year questions...

800screws
04-28-2007, 08:28 AM
looking to buy a 330r esr engine and i have a couple of questions.
first it's supposed to have a cr250 ignition system. if u take off the stator cover, would it be easy to see the mounting plate?
also the cases are grey. i figure it's an 86 or 87. since it has a 330r kit on it, if it was one of these years it wouldn't have a spacer plate under the cylinder, right? what size carb is usually run with the 330r's for mx- 38 or 39mm? if i did down the road decide to swap to 88-89 cases, would everything just swap over? lastly, is esr reed cages the only ones with a built in spacer?

thanks for your help.

250Renvy
04-28-2007, 04:00 PM
I can't answer all the questions but, the cr ignition question - yes, if you take off the cover, the mounting plate should be easy to see, or overall it should be easy to tell by the wiring.

Grey cases can mean one of two things -
1. it's an 86-87 bottom end. If it's an 86 it wouldn't have the spacer plate, if it's an 87 it would, unless running an 86 crank/short rod.
2. it's an 88-89 bottom end that had the cases replaced with 86-87 cases. People do this because the 87 cases come complete with bearings and the only difference is the color. If that's the case just paint them.

LathersR
04-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Well I'll give you some help.. first off I have a completely re-done bottom end to top end CT Pro-X 330 Big Bore.. Fresh crank 0 hours not even broke in, all new bearings/seals, crank bearings, spacer plate, 27cc race dome, the whole bottom is fresh, mx ported by CT FOR SALE.. top and bottom or separate.... 10 hours on piston. It flies.. But anyways.. The recommended carb for MX is a 38mm A/S usually not a 39mm unless you go with a 350. The ESR cage is the only one of my knowledge with a built-in cage/spacer. I wouldn't recommend it though because when you put reeds in, sometimes you need to go to a thinner or wider reed spacer for mx/dune/trails/etc... The best reed cage I have ran and seen run are the V Force, and Duncan Pyramid Cages.

You will see the mounting plate no problem if you know what the stock 250r one looks like. Take off the flywheel if need be. Also you need the ESR apapter to mount the CR ignition

A 86 motor requires a spacer plate for big bore engines if you run a long rod 87-89 crank... there's isn't a huge difference running a long rod but I think it's better/safer. I personally run it.

800screws
04-29-2007, 11:53 AM
thanks for the info. u can shoot me a PM on how much u want for the engine, but i think i have a deal going through that's almost impossible to beat.