PDA

View Full Version : YZF426 carb Q's

maddmatt02
04-28-2007, 03:20 AM
ok, I have a YZF 246 39mil FCR carb on its way here, a buddy of mine has a 07 YFZ 450 that he converted to twist throttle and I can have his thumb throttle/cable for 20 bucks. I would like to go pick it up before the carb gets here(lives an hour+ away and works late so not many times available to go meet him and get it) so I dont have to wait to install once I get it.

since the YFZ has this carb also, this cable will work right, now the carb looks like it has 2 cables like my street bike did, one pulls it open, one pulls it closed, do I have to do anything special if Im only using one cable to pull it? just tap the other cable hole and plug it?

also I have a 460BB stroker, P&P, hot cams stg 2, no airbox at all, FMF powerbomb/powercore4, K&N/outerwears and was wondering where I should start at with jetting? I ride mainly always at sea level in relatively cool temps, maybe 60's to 80's but usually with a cool breeze coming off the water. although somtimes in the desert in mexico around 80-high 90's so I might have to adjust again when I take it down there.

another question is before, with all the mods listed minus carb/airbox eliminator
my gf's K&N'd/DRD piped/jetted 04YFZ with -1T up front always has a bike or 2 in about middle of 5th gear, me running -1T up front also, with these 2 mods should I beat her(weve switched riders and it aint just my riding, results are identical with either rider, we both race and we both know what were doing)

I am going to be running 15/36 at first because I put it to that for the flat track on 18" tamers, and wanna see how it pulls out in the dunes on 21 geckos cuz I want to be able to flat out haul *** out in the open. Ill have the other sprockets available to throw em back on for a few races though for bragging rights. I might decide to leave that gearing anyways though cuz I rarely get to do WOT high speed runs anyways with the people I ride with cuz they like the trails more. and I LOVE riding wheelies.

underpowered
04-28-2007, 08:33 AM
well for the carb, it whould work just fine with only a pull cable. the other cable on a bike is more to pull the throttle tube back around than to push the slid on teh carb back down.

now for you racing.

the ONLY thing that will make your bike faster is gearing. all teh mods you have will make it quicker, but the top speed of your bike is still the same as it was stock, it just gets there quicker. a YFZ should pull on you in 5th gear as they are faster stock than your 400. especially if you a -1 and she is +1 up front. she should be quite a bit faster on top end.

maddmatt02
04-28-2007, 10:17 AM
whoops, forgot how literal some people can be;) dont want to be faster(well of course top speed is cool), I want to be "quicker" than her YFZ, and its not like that, we are both down one in front.

I read in dirtwheels shootout of YFZ/450R that the YFZ topped out at 72 while the 450r 73, so if her bike did 72, which im assuming a yfz will have no problem pulling to the limiter in 5th, with her being down 1 tooth she is gonna be no higher than somewhere in the mid-upper 60's.

I read on atv connection a lot of people say a stock 400 would not pull to the limiter in 5th gear, but if you had the power to with stock tires/gears it would do very low 70's.

her bike still has 20" tires, I got 21's. so theres a bit of taller gearing on my side right there. Im hoping to eventually have the power to pull something like 15/36 with enough acceleration to
still beat her out of the hole and just keep pulling away the whole time, its gonna take some money of course, but hey, your girls bike cant be faster than yours, right:D

oh, and when her dad does her exhasut cam timing mod(I said I cant contribute to her beating me so I wouldnt do it.. lol) how much will she really gain, enough to take back the length or 2 I put on her and maybe add another one back on me?