PDA

View Full Version : Can't Say We Didnt See It Coming..

hetrick_racing9
04-27-2007, 03:56 PM
welp i just got off the phone with one of my pro-am buddies riders.. chris boothby and well he just informed me that there are only 3 pro riders at the atva national this weekend , as we all expected joe byrd,pat brown,and some other guy... there are only 9 pro-am riders so they are being forced to go into the pro class as fillers..

Give me your thaughts i guess its a good thing atva made that thing where ucan miss 3 races and not have u lose points... i am hopfully gunna be able to get on the phone with my other pal greg gee and see how it is goin at the wpsa...

i kinda feel bad for atva but they kinda dug their own hole..

One_Bad_400
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
wow... that sucks!!! wait!!! i wish i woulda entered! hahaha then i coulda placed in the pro class!!!! HAAHAHAAHAHA funny stuff funny stuff

Ty's400
04-27-2007, 04:13 PM
That's not too surprising. Just crazy to think. Heck some ProAm riders could place well in the pro class in the ATVA's, that would be sweet! Hopefully the amateur turn out is still strong, because I'm running the second half of ATVA starting next round at Redbud. Good info hetrick_racing9, keep us informed!

esr250r86
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Is everybody at the wpsa series?

hsr
04-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Although the new excitement of the WPSA with espn coverage and all, can you really see this series being around in 10 or 20 years down the road?? Hopefully that has been enough of an eye opener to the ATVA to get things turned around...

D-7#61-450r
04-27-2007, 07:24 PM
I just talked with my buddy 171 and he said 3 pro's, like 9 pro am as stated. 5 open a. Possibly 260 riders alot of c class he said. practice started late because of rain and ended by 4:30. Very nice smooth track from low turnout.

hetrick_racing9
04-27-2007, 08:55 PM
yeah i am going to try and get a hold of john or greg tomm but ... from what i here the A class and so on still had a somewhat good turnout for atva...

Ralph
04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
heres the problems i see.

1. How will this affect the pro-am class? Someone going for the pro-am championship will now loose the chance because he is forced to run pro?

2. How long will WPSA be around? What if the whole series gets ****-canned because espn wants to fill up the timeslot with some other dumb programming? Will ATVA be able to hold out till then?

The positive thing is that competition is one of the biggest inspirations for improvement. It will make the ATVA MX series work that much harder to make up for their losses. We could see the sport advancing quickly because now that there is competition companys will have to do big things to stay ontop.

I think the sport is going to blow up pretty soon. In the past year it has already grown dramaticaly. Can-Am entered the market competively as well as kawasaki. Thats two big names who will pump more moeny into the sport. Along with that we may see Artic-Cat trying to keep up as well as polaris trying to get into the Motocross market.

As for the already big oem's. They are really pushing eachother. Suzuki releasing an efi quad. Kawsaki with their unique frame. This will just force honda and yamaha to set the bar even higher. Things are really going to get exciting!

Lets hope for the best and continue to show our support for the companys that support our sport.

Ty's400
04-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
heres the problems i see.

1. How will this affect the pro-am class? Someone going for the pro-am championship will now loose the chance because he is forced to run pro?

2. How long will WPSA be around? What if the whole series gets ****-canned because espn wants to fill up the timeslot with some other dumb programming? Will ATVA be able to hold out till then?

The positive thing is that competition is one of the biggest inspirations for improvement. It will make the ATVA MX series work that much harder to make up for their losses. We could see the sport advancing quickly because now that there is competition companys will have to do big things to stay ontop.

I think the sport is going to blow up pretty soon. In the past year it has already grown dramaticaly. Can-Am entered the market competively as well as kawasaki. Thats two big names who will pump more moeny into the sport. Along with that we may see Artic-Cat trying to keep up as well as polaris trying to get into the Motocross market.

As for the already big oem's. They are really pushing eachother. Suzuki releasing an efi quad. Kawsaki with their unique frame. This will just force honda and yamaha to set the bar even higher. Things are really going to get exciting!

Lets hope for the best and continue to show our support for the companys that support our sport.

Very well put! I agree. It would never happen, but wouldn't it be sweet if the WPSA and ATVA could join or put their effort into one.

Ralph
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
It wouldnt happen. I think what happend is that the ATVA thought the pros would not stop supporting them because the ATVA MX series has been around from the start. Ok so lesson learned, everybody needs to pay the morgage. I think next year we will see the two series running together with different race dates. I also predict the ATVA to up their pro purses as an incentive for the pros to run their series.

There is no reason that the two series cant run together. The bigger the sport gets the more talent we will see on race day. There will be plenty of pros to keep both series running strong.

The problem i see with the WPSA is that they seem to rely on ESPN. ESPN doesnt care about ATV's, they care about ratings. The atva on the other hand has their heart in racing, not just their money.

STEVENJANNA
04-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Why is it so hard for you people to understand how this works? ESPN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WPSA!!!!!!!! The WPSA buys 10, 1 hour slots from ESPN and they can do whatever they want with those 10 hours. They could show 1 hour slots of John Natalie cleaning his riding gear if they wanted. If you came up with the money you could buy the time slots and get yourself on TV.

Ralph
04-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
Why is it so hard for you people to understand how this works? ESPN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WPSA!!!!!!!! The WPSA buys 10, 1 hour slots from ESPN and they can do whatever they want with those 10 hours. They could show 1 hour slots of John Natalie cleaning his riding gear if they wanted. If you came up with the money you could buy the time slots and get yourself on TV.

Yes but WPSA still seems to make most of their money from advertising on tv. As soon as they feel that the seires isnt as profitable as they thought it might be then they will drop it in a heart beat.

pats2007450er
04-28-2007, 12:48 AM
who is the 3 pros that showed up

Dupontster
04-28-2007, 04:09 AM
I think Byrd Brown and Lawson. That sucks. I really liked the Birch Creek national and Even the Budds.

D-7#61-450r
04-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Brown, Byrd, Tate 202

Ralph
04-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Why is it so hard for you people to understand how this works? ESPN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WPSA!!!!!!!! The WPSA buys 10, 1 hour slots from ESPN and they can do whatever they want with those 10 hours.

Im not saying i know how it works. But are you sure that espn doesnt buy the episodes?

honduh440
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
quit being so negative....

u dont know anything

Ralph
04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
quit being so negative....

u dont know anything

haha, its not being negative. Its addressing a common concern of many people and giving my opinion on it.

Im not forcing you to read it so from now on you may want to look away, or go jump off a bridge.:)

More than half the things i said were positive

honduh440
04-28-2007, 12:46 PM
sorry to come across as if im saying your an idiot..... what im getting at is that these are factory teams they know what their doing we know nothing their is no concern

Ralph
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
sorry to come across as if im saying your an idiot..... what im getting at is that these are factory teams they know what their doing we know nothing their is no concern

Factory teams do whats best for their own team. Which then benefits the oem in selling more oems.

Company's don't always do whats best. Think back many years ago when we lost ATV racing. Things dont always work themselves out. Ofcourse all the oem's have interest to go to the WPSA; More exposure and higher purse money.

I dont believe that the companys, or high inflence people, cant make mistakes.

This is exactly why the atva is in trouble right now. It seems like they didnt think they should have to adjust their schedule with wpsa in mind.

honduh440
04-28-2007, 01:17 PM
i just talked to a friend down their he said their was well over 50 people in pro am and tons in every class

STEVENJANNA
04-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Im not saying i know how it works. But are you sure that espn doesnt buy the episodes?
Company "A" buys 10 1 hour slots for "X" amount of $$, they hire a production company and aquire sponsors. The sponsors pay "X" amount of $$ for so many minutes of "airtime". The success of the whole opperation depends on how much the sponsors profit from increased consumer sales. If the series becomes increasingly profitable over time, the $$ amount for sponsorship "airtime" will increase which will allow the promoters to increase exposure. Just like life the $$ does drive alot of ventures but, the People at the WPSA do have a genuine passion for this sport and before you jump the gun to judge them you should check them out.:D

jcv400ex
04-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Sorry, the factories are in ATV racing for one thing THEM!!!!!!!! DON'T EVER think that they care about ATV riders, because they don't. They seen an increase in interest, and are cashing in on it......

And everyone know's where I stand on this...I just hope the WPSA does stick around....

tamehart
04-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I am not biased on either series, but just to clarify....

8 pros were signed up to race and the top three put on one of the best races I have ever seen!!!

The event ran very smooth and the track crew kept the track in pristine condition. I enjoyed the weekend and heard many positive remarks as I milled around the pits.

Race Results and report will be posted sometime today

Ralph
04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Company "A" buys 10 1 hour slots for "X" amount of $$, they hire a production company and aquire sponsors. The sponsors pay "X" amount of $$ for so many minutes of "airtime". The success of the whole opperation depends on how much the sponsors profit from increased consumer sales. If the series becomes increasingly profitable over time, the $$ amount for sponsorship "airtime" will increase which will allow the promoters to increase exposure. Just like life the $$ does drive alot of ventures but, the People at the WPSA do have a genuine passion for this sport and before you jump the gun to judge them you should check them out.:D

That still doesnt prove it for me. Im not saying ur wrong but i could write out the same thing sayin espn buys so many episodes at x per epsiode and then espn gathers sponsors to pay for it via comercials.

Im just used to hearing "Comedy centrals buys 6 more episodes of southpark" etc...

im not trying to say ur wrong. Im asking HOW you know and if there is anything i can read to back it up.

hetrick_racing9
04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
3 main pros... a lot of pro-ams were used for filler is what i heard from my pro-am buddy that wus there racing...

diangelo#67
04-30-2007, 01:55 PM
pat brown
joe byrd
jeremy lawson
mike brown
justin brees
chris tait
justin bush
alex trotmen? s/p?

then there were like 10 pro-am guys that were also in a class

440racer66
04-30-2007, 07:28 PM
yea there wasnt many pros there but te three there put on a show it was the best battle i have ever seen they looked like bubba and ricky battles i raced and the track was verry well maintained

hetrick_racing9
05-01-2007, 06:12 AM
yeah your bound to get a good battle with 3 guys almost close to identical not havingt to worry about passing half a field ... it was a little more open and less pressure for all of them... that musta been nice for them im sure they didnt mind in a way...

gibson400ex
05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
if some may not know

wpsa runs the countrys biggest snowmobile association and now one of the countrys biggest atv association, so im guessing they will be staying around, so might want to get used to it, unless somthing dramatic happens, where they lose money, and by money i mean alot of it, they have some serious money

wpsa is where its at