PDA

View Full Version : Athena Big Bore 06

HillbillyProud
04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I finally got my hands on my big bore kit and got it installed on my 06 ER. I bought the ER because of the electric start. Now it looks like the starter doesn't have enough muscle to turn the motor fast enough to start the bike.
It is a new battery and I checked the decompression lever adjustment. It is correct.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Honda really should have thought about leaving the kick starter on these as a backup if you loose your electric in any way you are stuck.

HillbillyProud
05-01-2007, 04:21 AM
I ordered all the parts to install a kick yesterday. Anyone with an ER that is thinking about this mod should take this into consideration.

I ended up setting the decomp lever down enough to get the starter to turn the motor however at that point I couldn't build enough compression to start the motor.

Big Red Menace
05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
My '06 ER was a 488 Ice Cube engine first then I add the stroker crank to make it a 522. I've learned that with a bigger engine the factory decomp settings don't really work on a big bore. Basically set your decomp with a compression gauge. I set mine to about 70psi cranking with the throttle wide open. If yours won't pull 60-70 psi then you have a different problem. Try that, works for me.

ramp rida 55
05-02-2007, 02:52 PM
yea get a kickstarter. the factory electric start can barely start the stock bike never mind with high compression or big bore

Big Red Menace
05-03-2007, 09:14 AM
When tuned properly the er's will start just fine. The kickers are far less finicky because the cranking pressure can be a much larger range.

pats2007450er
05-03-2007, 03:18 PM
honda needs to recall the e start.they are fcking junk.my 2007 is in the shop becausethe 0ne way bearing is going out and to get it fixed it's almost 350.00.the guy at the shop put a kick on his for 600.00 and now he has both.good luck:mad: