PDA

View Full Version : where to buy metal tubing?

One_Bad_400
04-27-2007, 11:59 AM
where can you buy metal tubing??! like to make a frame... that kinda tubing

54warrior
04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Well, I'd start by searching the yellow pages for your area. You want to find a place close to you so that you can go and get the stuff yourself. Your going to need more than you think you will. Plus you'll need a couple different sizes too.

Do you have a tubing bender? There is a difference between a tubing bender and a pipe bender. You need different dies, etc.

Do you have a tubing notcher? For proper fitment you should notch the tube instead of trying to cope it out with a grinder or band saw.

Do you have a welder? Tig preferably.

Don't expect great results from a "Harbor Freight" type bender either. You need something with a dial/guage on it to get precise bends for symmetry between both sides of the frame.

Most everything is made from 4130 Chromoly nowadays, and right fully so. You could get away with making a-arms out of some regular DOM seamless tube though.

Good Luck with your project, I hope it turns out well.

You may want to check this out:

www.tubeshark.com

One_Bad_400
04-27-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks alot! ya... this will be a few month project... workin on building a "buggy" type frame with ground clearance arms to go threw creeks and DEEP water... calling it an MTV hahaha mud terrain vehicle... lol

One_Bad_400
04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
after i get done building it i want to turn it into kinda like a search and rescue type thing... with lights all on it, ax / chain saw, chains / ropes, winch, paint it red and white.