PDA

View Full Version : a-arm help! look! pics inside

SET THE STAGE
04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
okay, so i just bought this 300ex with 400/250r suspension. it's got some sort of aftermarket arms (i'm thinking old janssen ones because it has a janssen sticker on the rear fenders and i don't see anything else from them on it)

anyways, they like aren't lined up with the shock right. i'm thinking they're either on the wrong side or just bent, here's some pics.
http://i18.tinypic.com/43ont44.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/4fxi1dd.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/44rwq4m.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4gpp8vk.jpg

i'm almost positive it has nothing to do with the shock relocator bracket because the mount is exactly even with the stock mount, it's just the shock sitting at a weird angle and the especially on the arms down there which worries me that it might break the shaft if it keeps being ridden like that.

400exrider707
04-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the arms might be on the wrong side of the quad.

300exOH
04-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the arms might be on the wrong side of the quad.

I would have to agree with ^^

Switch the left and right a arms and it should be right. The a arms should angle slightly forward and not toward the rear of the quad.

300exOH
04-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Also don't forget to put a nut on the lower shock mount bolt:eek2:

After looking closer at the pics I'm sure they are on the wrong side...the metal tab on the upper a arms should be in the rear to hold the brake lines

SET THE STAGE
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Also don't forget to put a nut on the lower shock mount bolt:eek2:

After looking closer at the pics I'm sure they are on the wrong side...the metal tab on the upper a arms should be in the rear to hold the brake lines

OH I KNOW! i can't believe the kid i bought it off of rode it without that nut! i'm going to a hardware store today or tomorrow to get one

i'm pretty sure you guys are right about them being backwards. my brother also pointed out the brake line tab, too. i'll switch them around later and see.

300exOH
04-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by SET THE STAGE
OH I KNOW! i can't believe the kid i bought it off of rode it without that nut! i'm going to a hardware store today or tomorrow to get one

i'm pretty sure you guys are right about them being backwards. my brother also pointed out the brake line tab, too. i'll switch them around later and see.

I'm not sure which is worse riding it with no nut on the lower shock bolt or riding with the arms on backwards. lol With the angle of the tie rods and the arms on wrong I would think it would handle/steer like crap. I would switch the arms around and put some blue locktite on the bolts before anything else. Might be a good idea to check out the shock and a arm bushings to make sure everything is okay after being rode that way too.

400exrider707
04-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I'm not sure which is worse riding it with no nut on the lower shock bolt or riding with the arms on backwards. lol With the angle of the tie rods and the arms on wrong I would think it would handle/steer like crap. I would switch the arms around and put some blue locktite on the bolts before anything else. Might be a good idea to check out the shock and a arm bushings to make sure everything is okay after being rode that way too.

Yeah the shock bushings are probably garbage at this point.

SET THE STAGE
04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
case solved, i did some searching and realized they looked like the standard shock +2 laegers that are like 850 bucks brand new. went out and compared the laegers to mine and i noticed that he painted them black over some silver vein powdercoat... then i looked at the "back" bottom arm and there was a laeger sticker on it :rolleyes:

i bought this quad for 1000 dollars, too. i don't think this kid realized what he had haha

#22blaster240
04-27-2007, 08:22 PM
DID YOU PUT THOSE SHOCKS THAT STIFF, I CAN;T GET MINE PAST THE 10 LITTLE SLOT?

blasterandy
04-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Before you ride it again go over it with a fine tooth comb and check it completly out for missing bolts. Knowing what he's done wrong so far make sure he didn't put a dirt bike wheel on the back or drop the cam in the air box. :) :D.
but seriously check things out before you buy them.

SET THE STAGE
04-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by blasterandy
Before you ride it again go over it with a fine tooth comb and check it completly out for missing bolts. Knowing what he's done wrong so far make sure he didn't put a dirt bike wheel on the back or drop the cam in the air box. :) :D.
but seriously check things out before you buy them.

i'm fine with what i bought, it's missing odds and ends, but the front end alone is worth more than what i paid for the whole thing.

i've noticed he's missing a little bolt on one of the engine mounts, the subframe is welded together back where the grab bar bolts up, little tiny cracks here and there (a new frame is in the works, just got to save up), he's got two different offset wheels so i'm just buying stock fronts, etc.

but for 1125 i think i got a good deal.

blasterandy
04-28-2007, 06:48 PM
1125$, no doubt a good deal. As long as it gets the job done. rite :cool: