PDA

View Full Version : Overfilled oil

Dune Surfer
10-12-2002, 09:48 PM
What happens if you overfill the oil?

Houser Cannondale
10-12-2002, 10:23 PM
the oil will foam up in the crank case and it will run hot. not good.

exriderdude
10-12-2002, 10:25 PM
well... i dont know what exactly will happen, but i know it will run like crap:D

ridesa02400EX
10-12-2002, 10:26 PM
the oil will foam up and get bubbly and it will not only rin hot but it wont lubricate as good so drain some of the oil until it is the right amount

400exdad
10-12-2002, 10:28 PM
I replyed in your post on your smoking 416. Do you think you have overfilled your oil? By draining the filter, the tank and the gearbox, the EX should hold 2 qts. Too much oil in the crankcase will cause excessive oil to get past the rings. Maybe thats all it is... I hope so. Good Luck

EX Stud
10-12-2002, 10:38 PM
Actually, i filled my oil tank all the way up till it overflowed on purpose!!

This guy i know won the National TT and he graduated from my HIgh School. He told me to fill it all the way up because he said the oil pump only pumps so much oil at once, so filling it up as much as possible means there is more oil to pull from but not more in your engine....

More oil = more power

He said also he bought one of those bigger aluminum oil tanks. HE said people get those to fill em all the way up.

I did miine and it hasn't messed up yet!!

Guy400
10-13-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by EX Stud

This guy i know won the National TT and he graduated from my HIgh School. He told me to fill it all the way up because he said the oil pump only pumps so much oil at once, so filling it up as much as possible means there is more oil to pull from but not more in your engine....

More oil = more power

He said also he bought one of those bigger aluminum oil tanks. HE said people get those to fill em all the way up.

I did miine and it hasn't messed up yet!! Overfilling is not a good idea. When the cranks spining at whatever RPM it's building pressure inside the crankcase. With the proper oil level the excess pressure is allowed to bleed out the crankcase vent tube in the form of just air. When you overfill your oil and the pressure builds you'll start to get oil coming out that vent tube. Most of the time that vent tube isn't big enough to bleed off the pressure fast enough and oil will begin to be forced past the rings causing severe smoking. Also, more oil does not mean more HP. If anything, slightly low oil=HP. Nearly all drag racers run their cars a little low on oil to gain some HP. They run enough for the pump pick up to grab oil and lubricate the engine but they run it low enough that the counterweights on the crank don't splash in the oil too much. The oil will slow the crank down and cause the engine to work harder to maintain that RPM level. Ever try to run underwater? Notice how hard it is and you're not really going anywhere? It's the same principle...

10-13-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by EX Stud

More oil = more power

I did miine and it hasn't messed up yet!!

ur lucky if u didnt screw anything up yet .

Houser Cannondale
10-13-2002, 09:15 AM
running too much oil is not a good idea. just fill it up to the full mark on the dipstick and forget it.

Sick0
10-13-2002, 09:38 AM
I know what guys said was true in wet slump engines, but is that still true in dry slump engines where all the oil is in a oil tank.

Houser Cannondale
10-13-2002, 10:25 AM
somewhat, if you way overfill the engine theres bound to be more oil iin the crankcase. all that extra oil sloshing around just causes extra heat. your better off with a little less or the right amount. bigger oil tanks are ok because it has room for the extra oil its not just crammed in there.

Sick0
10-13-2002, 10:29 AM
ok

L.Vegas400
10-13-2002, 03:15 PM
last time i changed my oil, i was fill it back up, 1.75 qts into the fill, the tank overflowed. i then realized i needed to run it for a bit to circulate the oil. you should have seen the look on my face when the tank started overflowing before i even had 2 qts in it.:eek:

Sick0
10-13-2002, 03:44 PM
The same things happen to me.

eldoexrider01
10-13-2002, 07:50 PM
ive heard it will overpressure your oil and blow seals :confused:

EX Stud
10-13-2002, 09:42 PM
I belived him because he has two 400EX's and both have about 15 grand in them a piece...!!!

I don't see why he would want to mess it up....

Lorduss
10-14-2002, 02:36 AM
im sorry, but could someone here explane to me the logic behind why your engine would overheat from having to much oil ?

"somewhat, if you way overfill the engine theres bound to be more oil iin the crankcase. all that extra oil sloshing around just causes extra heat. your better off with a little less or the right amount. bigger oil tanks are ok because it has room for the extra oil its not just crammed in there."

im sorry, but this guys NOT a mechanic,
i cant find any logic behind what your saying.

just having more oil in your crankcase doesnt cause more heat, theres no logic behind why,

Now, if you over fill your oil, You do create more pressure within your crankcase.

This could mean a number of things, it could cause oil to be forced up around the rings, it could somehow cause the oil pump to malfuntion *just taking wild guesses here* or maby the extra pressure causes a leak in a seal causing a permente oil leak, causing the engine to run dry of oil and overheat maby.

but a engine will NOT overheat from just having extra oil in the crankcase sloshing around, its supposed to slosh around, lubercating parts and absorbing some of there heat. then taking that heat to the sump.

you have to fill us in or otherwise your just BSing your self. what you said made no sense.

this is what i know about engines, if you over fill your oil a little, your engine well just spit it out, no problems, if you realy overdo it, your gonna create more pressure in your oil system, i think the most likley thing to happen is your engine pushing the oil around the rings of your piston and burning it out. it probbly wont cause any real damange, but the least you can do is try filling it to the proper point, a little extra oil doesnt do any thing for you.