PDA

View Full Version : APEX ? looking to purchase new pros/cons

TRX450RACER174
04-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey guys i have been looking at one of these for my son he is 6 and rides a lt80 right now mostly stock. Any feedback as far as pros or cons i am really interested in purchasing one of these. He is a beginner in racing has been riding since he was 3 i just want to get him something out of the box i don't have to do much to thanks.

77racerdad
04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
the 3 apex mxr 90 that has ran the race with us did not make it to the end had to push them back. WE run a 05 polaris 90 with pipe & clutch mod. they all pulled holeshot .and pulled some on us we normally are right their with others. they have good brakes & good feel to the suspension.one dad let me & my boy ride it. just one thing bad is the tranny. I want to get one but if i do i will do the tranny saver and the bearing upgrade

TRX450RACER174
04-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank for the reply i just don't know if i should buy one of these or race out his lt80, I kinda want to have a race only bike so he can still ride at other places on his lt80.

miniquad
04-28-2007, 02:20 PM
The APEX trans is the same as the Polaris and DRR they all use the same bearings and gears. The Apex usually has a more agressive rider on them not to mention these bikes are getting run harder and faster than most. It really depends on the rider and how they ride. There are some good fixes for these transmissions we had a bushing installed in ours by East Coast Performance and have had no problems since.

77racerdad
04-30-2007, 08:45 AM
does the apex have reverse gears like the 05 polaris that we run they have more bearings & more gears and yes their are good fixes one of the apex of the 3 got the tranny saver on for the race and made all of the race his mom & dad was so happy after 4 repairs in two weeks.

WOLFPACK
05-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by miniquad
The APEX trans is the same as the Polaris and DRR they all use the same bearings and gears. The Apex usually has a more agressive rider on them not to mention these bikes are getting run harder and faster than most. It really depends on the rider and how they ride. There are some good fixes for these transmissions we had a bushing installed in ours by East Coast Performance and have had no problems since. Same gears and bearings that is true. But the problem is not in the gears or the bearings. We believe we have figured out the problem and will let you all know soon after we finish some more testing.

WOLFPACK
05-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Thank for the reply i just don't know if i should buy one of these or race out his lt80, I kinda want to have a race only bike so he can still ride at other places on his lt80. Take a look into the DRR.

77racerdad
05-07-2007, 10:46 AM
IS that the fix cool :blah: :blah: :blah: :macho :macho

drr5
05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
i took a long look at both bikes and there are pros and cons for both but epending on the size of your rider it can make a differance, if hes small id go with the drr there platform is a little shorter then the apex, the apex although a good bike is much longer and seems more suitable for a tall or larger rider, but my prefrence is the drx .

drr wizard
05-11-2007, 07:19 AM
before buying talk to several apex owners , alot of them I know are not happy with apex. check out the drr's and talk to some of the DRR owners . most of the owners will be honest and you will be glad you got the first hand info. Most dealers are honest but they are biased and they are trying to sell you something.

drr wizard

ProMX90
05-11-2007, 11:57 AM
The DRX still needs a lot of aftermarket parts to catch up to the Apex...Tires, wheels, pipe, clutch, carb, kill lanyard, rear axle, rear foot break. I'd take the Apex any day unless I had a much smaller kid, the Apex is a bit bigger.

TRX450RACER174
05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
That's what i want to stay away from i kinda want something almost turn key without buying used. He already rides a lt80 that i am going to get him started on but i would like to jump him up to the next level on something alittle more state of the art.

bulldogfallon
05-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by ProMX90
The DRX still needs a lot of aftermarket parts to catch up to the Apex...Tires, wheels, pipe, clutch, carb, kill lanyard, rear axle, rear foot break. I'd take the Apex any day unless I had a much smaller kid, the Apex is a bit bigger.

You are not 100% accurate with this post....The new 2007 DRX90s are coming upgraded with bigger carbs, performance manifolds, new exhaust, tethered kill and at 44" wide a arms with wider rear axle and a longer swingarm.

Plus they are about $1,000 less?

The DRX90s need a little tweaking to run stronger (nothing that takes more than an afternoon to install) to run with and ahead of the Apex minis.

If you can't change rollers, torque spring and clutch springs then you shouldn't be racing an Apex)..these changes along with a higher PSI head and the race is on.

DRR Foot brake kits are also here and available...

Our DRX90s run just fine with the Apex class.....

Plus I know the DRR service and support is 2nd to none..

Not knocking the Apex brand here...Just trying to provide accurate and updated info on the DRR quads

TEXWS6
05-13-2007, 06:38 AM
I own both quads. A 2007 DRR and APEX 90. My daughter races mini class in the TQRA.

The DRR is her back up quad for a reason. Hands down, there is no comparison from what her and I both see or know about the performance of the two quads.

The Apex can be more of a pain sometimes, as you have issues with ignition, tranny, but once you get those things ironed out, the Apex is still the best quad. But it's been 20 years since I have messed with one of these little things, so I am partly to blame for the problems we have been having.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

thanks,

Kelly

bulldogfallon
05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
(TEXWS6) Is your DRR one of the early 07s or one of the one manufactured recently(last 2 months)? There are a ton of upgrades on the newer models

These upgrades have closed the gap between DRR and Apex. (many of the fetures seen on the DRX90 Ltd are now standard on all DRX quads)

Apex vs DRR "stock" is in favor of the Apex for sure, but give me the DRR (with all the recent 2007 upgrades) and a $1,000 to spend and I bet things will be a different story.

We have one of the "newer" 2007 DRX90s that runs in the Apex class and it runs right along with the stock Apex minis.

The older 2007 DRRs were not as competitive out of the box.

Either way it is good for everyone that these companies are pushing each other to be better....WE the consumer win in the end!!

I can tell you that DRR is not resting for a second and has some very big things coming soon......They are in this for the long haul...

DRR makes great quads, but has even better people supporting them.....I think that is even a bigger reason to support the DRR Nation.

Once I am not knocking Apex, just reinforcing my belief in the DRR product value and performance.

kenjolly
05-13-2007, 01:46 PM
we have a 07 drx 90 wc and run in a modified apex class. out of 8-10 quads our worst finish is 5th and the last 2 have been 2nd and 3rd. the only thing we have done SOFAR is jetting and clutch wieghts. We are very happy with the new quad and with a little more work we will finish even better. another thing, atleast 1 apex quad each race doesnt finish. do get me wrong we have had some growing pains too, but havent missed a race.

just my 2 cents if your try to pick anew quad.

also the support from DRR and their dist. is far better than any other.

TEXWS6
05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
(TEXWS6) Is your DRR one of the early 07s or one of the one manufactured recently(last 2 months)? There are a ton of upgrades on the newer models

These upgrades have closed the gap between DRR and Apex. (many of the fetures seen on the DRX90 Ltd are now standard on all DRX quads)

Apex vs DRR "stock" is in favor of the Apex for sure, but give me the DRR (with all the recent 2007 upgrades) and a $1,000 to spend and I bet things will be a different story.

We have one of the "newer" 2007 DRX90s that runs in the Apex class and it runs right along with the stock Apex minis.

The older 2007 DRRs were not as competitive out of the box.

Either way it is good for everyone that these companies are pushing each other to be better....WE the consumer win in the end!!

I can tell you that DRR is not resting for a second and has some very big things coming soon......They are in this for the long haul...

DRR makes great quads, but has even better people supporting them.....I think that is even a bigger reason to support the DRR Nation.

Once I am not knocking Apex, just reinforcing my belief in the DRR product value and performance.

I do have one of the earlier ac drr's. I feel that the newer ones might do better, but she's still whooping up on kids that have been riding for years (her 5th race ever is this weekend) on DRR's as well as other makes with her Apex Pro.

The Apex's pretty much rule the roost, consistently grabbing 3-4 of the top 6 finishes in our mini class. This is a class that allows NO modifications other than bolt on suspension, so it's a really good measure of how well a mini quad compares right off the showroom floor!

thanks,

Kelly

Livin4Real
05-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Hey guys i have been looking at one of these for my son he is 6 and rides a lt80 right now mostly stock. Any feedback as far as pros or cons i am really interested in purchasing one of these. He is a beginner in racing has been riding since he was 3 i just want to get him something out of the box i don't have to do much to thanks.

If you have the funds and are serious about racing get him a cobra 50. Since he is only 6 he is not old enough for running a 90 in sanctioned racing and the cobra 50 will hang with stock 90's no problem.

ProMX90
05-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Apex just added AC style nerfs, a new bumper, and the brass bushing/case saver from the factory. They're really pushing this thing.

ecmini1
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
In a few months they will also have the slipper sprocket installed aswell.