PDA

View Full Version : can moisture in the stator cover cause a no-run condition ?

86250rrider
04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
its either that or my stator is going bad. only happens after a little while into the ride,acting like it fouled a plug. then...no start. ive swapped coils,cdis,plugs on the spot with no luck. the last time i got towed home and it fired right up after a bit.this time after all that i pulled the stator cover off to find some water droplets in the cover.i left cover off and it fired instantly and i rode home without it and it ran great. by the way the stator was put on this winter. a 200 watt ricky stator unit i got on e-bay. is it that simple...condensation??? anyone run into this ? or is the stator overherating causing this ?? please help

86 Quad R
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
do you have a stock stator to try? is your stator cover leaking? the moisture doesnt smell of gas does it?

86250rrider
04-26-2007, 10:04 AM
no but i did have two backfires ...one in the last two rides. it happened under load and it acted like it was going to foul a plug then boom.can moisture do this? this motor runs very cool,race gas, 150 degrees tops. usually at 100-125 degrees on guage.am i possibly leaking at the seal letting gas into the stator?plug looks perfect and it rips hard!!! thanks

86 Quad R
04-26-2007, 10:23 AM
it very well could be leaking. insure that the entire area is freeof moisture and completely seal off the cover and try again. if moisture developes again, perform a leakdown test with the stator cover removed and focuss on that seal.

as for the wet stator issue, its hard to say. i've seen em run fine with a lil moisture in there then i've seem em run like chit or not at all.

86250rrider
04-26-2007, 10:26 AM
the cases must be split to get at that seal...huh? my worst nightmare if so.

86 Quad R
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
nope! ya can get it out with the engine in the quad :blah:

wilkin250r
04-26-2007, 04:29 PM
You know, it's tough to say. I've never examined the stator close enough, I don't know if it has any exposed electrical connections. If you get water into an electrical connection, it can conduct to ground instead of where it is supposed to go.

86250rrider
04-26-2007, 04:36 PM
im pretty sure the stator IS an exposed electrical connection.:D
i just want to ride it home under its own power again!!it seemed to run the best it has with cover off since the new neil port job.

wilkin250r
04-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Actually, for the most part it's NOT exposed. It's just a bunch of coils of wire, but all those wires are insulated. In reality, if that same insulation was taken all the way out to the CDI, the entire assembly could run just fine completely underwater. The only parts really vulnerable to moisture are the connections.

EXtreme-
04-26-2007, 06:17 PM
for what its worth, I had gotten some muddy water into my cover and it ruined the stator assembly. It wasnt alot of water, but enough to to the deed. Put in a used one from Dober (thanks dude) and it fired right up.