PDA

View Full Version : 450R shocks vs. elka rec series

buster024
04-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I assume I'm not going to get any answers based on actual real experience having both, so what are your opinions between throwing on a new pair of 450R fronts shocks, or dropping another $175, and going with Elka recreation series?

underpowered
04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
the elkas will be MUCH better than the stock 450 shocks. teh 450r shockas are a cheap upgrade, but valving is wrong on them for a stock 400. the elkas are built for your bike, your weight and everything. they are built for YOU, where the 450 shocks are a generic shock. IMHO the elkas are well worth the extra money if you can afford it.

buster024
04-25-2007, 09:21 PM
That's what I figured as well. There's some R shocks on Ebay for $200 right now, but by the time they go, I'm sure they'll get at least $250 + shipping. You can get brand new rec. series for $465 including shipping. That's only $200 for what seems like a huge upgrade. :D

buster024
04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
If I had the rec series made based on stock arm width, could they be revalved to work on +1 arms? +2????

I'd like to go to a wider stance at some point in time, but I don't want to drop the dough for nice Elka's I wouldn't get to enjoy if I went wider.

underpowered
04-26-2007, 04:46 AM
yeah if you do go wider, you can always have teh elkas re-valved for whatever you want to do with them.

400eXr1d3rZ
04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Those are Elka's base shocks right? If you have the money I suggest you buy the 450r shocks and have them revalved for your weight, riding style, etc... They will be just as good as Elka's, probably better.

underpowered
04-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Those are Elka's base shocks right? If you have the money I suggest you buy the 450r shocks and have them revalved for your weight, riding style, etc... They will be just as good as Elka's, probably better.

why do you say this? just wondering your basis for it.

the elka is actually a shock MADE for his bike, not one adapted from another bike to work. i have ridden on stock 450 shocks, works, elka rec series, and axis. the stock 450 shocks were too stiff IMO, and need alot of work to be in the same range as an elka. the works were even better than stock 450 shocks.

zrpilot
04-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by underpowered

the elka is actually a shock MADE for his bike, not one adapted from another bike to work. i have ridden on stock 450 shocks, works, elka rec series, and axis. the stock 450 shocks were too stiff IMO, and need alot of work to be in the same range as an elka. the works were even better than stock 450 shocks.
I think what 400eXr1d3rZ is trying to say is the 450R shocks are a BETTER price vs. performance then the Elkas. Where can you find a FULLY adjustable shock with ressies for less than $600?

buster024
04-26-2007, 03:08 PM
I talked with Elka this morning (fantastic guys) and got a grocery list of recommendations from them. They (of course) felt their shock would hands down bust a 450r shock, especially on a 400. I also learned that the recreation series are not any less expensive than some of their non-resevoir style mx series. For $475, you can get a set of mx style valves, with preload and compression control. Later down the road, if you'd like rebound and a resevoir, you can send them back, and have a remote resevoir installed, and the valves adjusted for rebound. It costs another $450, but it may be nice for some people on a budget (like me) to be able to enjoy their Elkas for months while they save some more money to have resevoirs and rebound adjustment added. Plus, if you decide to go to a wider stance (+1 or +2) all you need is a $35 spring that can be field installed by the user, and you're ready to ride. The only time these won't work, is if you go with a long travel arm. In that case, you have to either buy new shocks completely, or have them fully reworked over. I'd highly recommend a call to their tech line if your ever interested in finding out more info on how your shocks work. That's the third time I've called, and Elka techs have always been great!!:D

400eXr1d3rZ
04-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by underpowered

You don't understand what I'm saying...fully adjustable shocks, with resiviours, you get those shocks revalved it's going to be a major difference than the baseline Elka shocks. Revalved stock 450r shocks are better than baseline Elkas, you might disagree, that's fine...I'm just trying to get you to understand what I'm saying. Once you get the 450r shocks REVALVED FOR YOUR WEIGHT, QUAD, AND RIDING STYLE they WILL be better than the Recreational Elka's.

buster024
04-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Once you get the 450r shocks REVALVED FOR YOUR WEIGHT, QUAD, AND RIDING STYLE they WILL be better than the Recreational Elka's.

Just for arguments sake though, after you've gone through the hassle of finding, bidding on, and getting them shipped to you....then turning around and paying to have them completey redone to fit your body and bike (sort of, still not designed specifically for the 400), then modifying your bike to fit them, I can't imagine your not that much better off financially from getting a set of mx (non rebound or resevoir) Elkas. Non rebound or resevoir mx style Elkas have to be better than 450r shocks.
Speaking of the resevoir, isn't that just an oil/fluid blow-off point? Does it really have anything to do with rebound or compression? Don't know...just asking!

I wondered if this was going to be a debated topic or not....guess I found out!

400eXr1d3rZ
04-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by buster024
Just for arguments sake though, after you've gone through the hassle of finding, bidding on, and getting them shipped to you....then turning around and paying to have them completey redone to fit your body and bike (sort of, still not designed specifically for the 400), then modifying your bike to fit them, I can't imagine your not that much better off financially from getting a set of mx (non rebound or resevoir) Elkas. Non rebound or resevoir mx style Elkas have to be better than 450r shocks.
Speaking of the resevoir, isn't that just an oil/fluid blow-off point? Does it really have anything to do with rebound or compression? Don't know...just asking!

I wondered if this was going to be a debated topic or not....guess I found out!

Recreational Elka's aren't made for MX, it isn't hard to find 450r shocks. The only modification you need to do is grind 1/8 of an inch off the top of the shock, sometimes you don't even have to do that.

And if you decide to get extended a-arms then you would have to get the Elka rec's revlaved anyway, which would cost the same as getting the stock 450r shocks revalved. If you just buy stock 450r shocks and don't get them relvaved until you get extended a-arms that will be fine, stock 450r shocks work great (to a certain extent) with stock length a-arms. Do it right the first time.

Rancher2005
04-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I recently purchased a set for my 400 and I can say that without a doubt it has been the best 200 I have spent. They handle excellent and are working great so far without revalving. (I am about 260 lbs) Keep in mind the potential of these shocks. Fully Adjustable , Resevoirs . I think that alone in terms of elkas would be well over 800. They can be converted to dual rates (maybe triples?) and valved for your weight ,experience, riding style. I backed the preload all the way off. My compression is set soft and rebound is on full return. On my old ex shocks I would take one particluar turn in 4th gear and I would scare the hell out of myself b/c it would push in the corner and then bicycle like crazy. I couldn't kick the rear end around enough to stay flat in the turn. Now with the 450 shocks I can take that same turn faster with ease. The front tires stay put and it keeps the back end from rolling too. At a later time I will send them out to get them dialed in for me, but for now I have absolutely no regrets.

Hondahoo2
04-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Valving is huge, but did you notice the Elka Recs come with Triple Rate springs too.

buster024
04-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Recreational Elka's aren't made for MX, it isn't hard to find 450r shocks. The only modification you need to do is grind 1/8 of an inch off the top of the shock, sometimes you don't even have to do that.

Sorry, my last post had to do with their MX series, not the Rec series. Their MX series are as inexpensive (w/o res or rebound) as the rec series. I agree the 450r shocks would do better in a real mx situation, if you had them redone.
Also, I assume you meant if you went long travel you'd have to have them changed, not just widened. You can widen your bike, and not have to revalve, just respring. If you go LT, your right...you do have to have them all adjusted so it wouldn't make sense. I don't think I plan on going LT, just maybe a +1 kit, so I wouldn't have to worry about ever sending them in.

;)

jrm03
04-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Watch Bare Performance's website. They have great deals with rebates on Elka Rec's, I got mine for $381. A very very good upgrade. They suit the needs of the trail riders perfectly and perform great. Money well spent. The rec's can be valved for MX, just not the most suitable choice.

buster024
04-27-2007, 02:00 PM
does anyone know the approx cost on having the R shocks revalved and dialed in for a particular rider/bike/style?

400eXr1d3rZ
04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by buster024
does anyone know the approx cost on having the R shocks revalved and dialed in for a particular rider/bike/style?

Go to the C&D Racing section of the forums, and get a price quote.