PDA

View Full Version : 400 rebuild questions and sugestions

grapeape1000s
04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Hello and thanks for looking and any imput is greatly appreciated. To start its been a long time since ive owned a quad. I just picked up a basketcase 01400ex, this bike doesnt apear to ever be torn down before. Well, here is the laundry list of what i've found so far, cam chain and tensioner are shot, valves are shot. and the kicker. the conecting rod has tons of play at the wristpin and crank. the jug is off but i havent spit the case to check the crank. ive cleaned up all the parts jug up. I honed the jug. its got wear. my thougts are. should i put in a hot rods crank assy. punch the jug with an 11.1 piston and do my valve work? I want a reliable trail bike to play with. Instead of the whole crank, whats the chances of just getting a conecting rod? Could the crank be ok? Also where would be the best places to get parts. ive seen enough places online and my local dealership. who would you sugest? And am I on the right track to a healthy reliable bike. thanks in advance.

underpowered
04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
well for the price, it is almost as cheap to buy a whole crank as it is to buy a rod and have it installed so i would suggest buying the whole crank.

for the parts, i am a fan of helping the little guy, if you have a local independent shop i would buy from them, but if not C&D on the site is a great place for parts.

sounds to me like you are well on your way for a great bike, my bike in my sig has been very reliable and has been together for almost 4 years now with very few problems.

grapeape1000s
04-26-2007, 04:41 PM
thanks for the input, i will go with a crank.and. check out c&d