PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with axle removeal

mopar 400
10-12-2002, 08:05 PM
alright here it is, after 4 beers, I get where the rear disc brake hub will not come off my axle. what are the tricks to getting this dam hub off? I have had nothing but problems with dam axle removal to day...... aghhhhhhh!!!!!! :confused:

redrider ex
10-12-2002, 08:38 PM
you do have the break caliper off right and do you have the chain off if so take a brass hammer and hit the end of the axle and it should come out . o yea you do have the big axle nut assembly and split ring off right.

exriderdude
10-12-2002, 09:04 PM
alright, this is what i did. take a block and put it up to your axle where the hub goes (on the rotor side), and take hammer to it. if you pound it enough it just eventually come off, or your axle will go through the block, like mine. i used a block so i didnt tear up my axle. good luck:macho

DMC mx400ex
10-12-2002, 09:16 PM
the actualy brake rotor is not supposed to come off, just unbolt the sprocket off, remove the locknut, and slide it out to the right when looking at the back of the bike...

buckeye400ex
10-12-2002, 10:08 PM
DMC Mx WRONG!!, the brake rotor does come off, the axle is meant to slide out to the left. Sometimes it requires a little tapping. I just did my bearing carrier today and I took a hammer to the brake rotor hub, lightly tapped it as I rotated the axle, tapping as I went, it came right off.

mopar 400
10-13-2002, 09:23 AM
thanks, for all the help any more suggestion i'm still haveing problems. it seems to be seized on there........:confused:

mopar 400
10-13-2002, 11:00 AM
All right.. Now I have beat on this axle with a hammer for hours, tried to use a puller system, and hit it a few times with a sledge.. I already broke part of the disc brake hub, one ear that holds the Disc snapped, and this thing still does not want to come off....

The one thing that I am not sure of is whether or not the threads for the lock nuts that go inside the Disc brake hub come off at the same time as the hub, or do I remove these first?
This is getting me really crazy, new axle and swingarm just sitting on the floor....

redrider ex
10-13-2002, 11:06 AM
did you remove the lock nut assembly thats beside the break rotor and did you remove the split ring thats under the big nut its a split ring that fits in a groove around the axle.?

mopar 400
10-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Yea I have the Lock Nut off. This is not my first time removing a axle, But this darn one does not want to budge... Now I have come to the conclusion it will not come off without excessive force, I have already made the axle trash, I hit the darn thing with a sledge to try and pop it out, I think I am just goin to cut the Fuc@# in half... I am really getting frustrated here.....

mopar 400
10-13-2002, 01:56 PM
bump

buckeye400ex
10-13-2002, 08:27 PM
DMC, young punks like you are why I don't frequent this forum very often. Go away!

Mopar, the axle nut goes in, the c clip is removed, the nut is backed off, the threaded part slides off first, it should not go "in the brake rotor hub", just butts up against it. Maybe the threaded piece is wedged up under the rotor hub. ?? Needs to come off before the brake rotor hub though.

It should take some firm taps with the hammer, but it should slide off. Good luck.

phatswinn
10-14-2002, 08:33 AM
drench it in thrust then again in a ahlf hour then wait for that to work in and take it off

mopar 400
10-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Well the threaded part for the lock nut and the brake disc holder are really wedged on there. I was able to get the threade part of, but it took a chissel and sledge. Now I have to replace this and the disc holder, since i snapped that yesterday... The problem was that there was so much rust that they were on there like they had been welded... Now to get the rest off... This is getting to be way to much of a project now... 3 days to remove an axle?? :confused:

10-14-2002, 10:36 AM
:( Wait till you have to remove the swingarm,,,keep that sledge handy and whatever you plan on cuttin the axle off with cuz you'll need it for the swingarm pivot bolt too.:(

mopar 400
10-14-2002, 11:11 AM
I know. I attempted this yesterday as well.. The swingarm bolt will spin, but it won't push out. I took a piece of 2x4 to it with the sledge yesterday before deciding it was not going to be done for the trip this weekend. I am so upset that I have to wait to put my new swingarm on...

10-14-2002, 02:19 PM
I"m taken mine to the quashop tomorrow,,me and jeff are cutting mine out,,no other options..it's seized,,ya might wanna go ahead and order you another pivot bolt..:(

mopar 400
10-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Well there was no way the brake disc holder was coming off, so I unded up taking a sawzall to the thing.. I cut it so that it was small enough to fit through the swingarm. I just left the axle in the bearing carrier, since they are both being thrown in the garbage, and slipped the whole thing through the swingarm. What a project. Took three days and countless tries to get this damn thing out.. Finally got it!!!!

DMC mx400ex
10-14-2002, 09:43 PM
ANY PICS? YOU GETTING A CARRIER?

mopar 400
10-15-2002, 01:18 AM
Sorry but I did not take any pics. I did get a new carrier, Herman racing, new Durablue lock nut, and have to replace the disc brake holder. When it is all put back together I will get some pics of it all done...

10-15-2002, 08:59 AM
Mopar,,,,,are all your fingers still intact????

and how many beers did it take to finish the project?

Today at the quadshop I'm gonna see if jeff wants to take some pics of my swingarm coming out,,so I can do a review..

mopar 400
10-15-2002, 06:56 PM
It was 24 beer job.......:p

10-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Well mopar I finally got my swingarm bolt out with the help of a plasma cutter at the quadshop...:eek: :eek: And no I'm not BS'n..:devil