PDA

View Full Version : ltr450oil seal ????

ProjectLTR450
04-25-2007, 05:18 PM
ok i have a problem here. my quad is leaking oil from behind the front sprocket. so i told the dealer and they gave me a seal for it. but the problem is i dont know how to take it out so i need some help thanks

asjr39
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
remove the intake pipe
remove etc sensor from the cylinder head
remove the thermostat cover and then the thermostat itself
remove the tappets and shims by finger or magnetic hand

I will stop there, cause by looking at my book it seems that it is a big job. If you would like I can try and email some pics from the manual.

LTR450_#67
04-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Actually I bet you could just take off the sprocket and then what the manual calls the crankcase plate (the plate with 2 screws that guard/hold the seal in) and the seal is right there. Be sure to have the area clean of dirt and debris. Since the seal is already bad you should be able to grab it with a needle nose pliers and a hook shaped pick. When you are doing this do not scratch the surface where the seal sits in or on the countershaft, especially the countershaft. When you get the old seal out make sure the garter spring is still on the inside of the seal, cuz if it's not there, odds are it's in the case and thats bad news.
NOW to install the new seal. Put grease on lip of the oil seal (Where it comes in contact and seals the countershaft.). Put it on the same direction the old one came out (garter spring to the inside of the case.). Slide it on the countershaft to the case and try to press it in with your thumbs a lil to get it started. Make sure the seal goes in as square as possible. If you need to tap it in. Use preferable a rubber mallet and a pipe that is a little smaller than the outer diameter of the seal. If you don't have a pipe available, try using the butt-end of a smaller screw driver with a square/flatish handle end (The butt-end being square/flat). DO NOT use anything sharp or pointed. That will instantly puncture and ruin the seal. Now using the handle of the screwdriver, make light taps to the outter edge and go in a circular motion/pattern around the seal and shaft til the outside part of the seal is flush with the case (looks like the old one did before you pulled it). Put the rest back together in the reverse order you did it.

Thats how would do it.

Aaron

ProjectLTR450
04-28-2007, 08:32 AM
How do I take that cover off thats over the seal? It looks like I have to take the swingarm off.

LTR450_#67
04-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah I overlooked the two 8mm bolts and the main swing arm pivot bolt. When you remove the swinger bolt it will/should want to fall down. It's a tight fit so be careful. Then take out the two 8mm bolts and the plate will come off.

While you're there try and grease the swinger bearings.

I know that was unexpected but it's better than pulling the engine and tearing it down......

hope that helps

later
Aaron