PDA

View Full Version : Stay on the go, stay in shape. What do you do?

mine
04-25-2007, 03:06 PM
What do all you guys do to stay in shape for riding. I go to gym almost every day for about two hours or so, but it is getting extremely boring.

I used to be 260 and now im 243, I was 238 two weeks ago but gym just doesnt interest me anymore. I have thaught about it, I want to get down to 180 lbs but i have to take it step by step and I want to do it the healthiest way possible.

I know if I dont go to gym or renew my membership i will have to do stuff around here to keep me busy. Walking,mnt. biking,walking the dog,b-ball etc, etc...

I will have to stay away from all the bad food, Ice cream,cake,cookies etc.. I'm going to try to stay far away from anything high in cholestrol,fat cal,fat,carbs,sugars,trans fat and sodium. I'm going to try to find food high in protein and dietary fiber such as chicken, fish (talapia),carrots to snack on, etc..

I'm done with fat loss suplements and protein shakes, I was just wondering what you guys eat and dont eat to stay in shape and what you guys do to kickstart your metabolism and burn calories.

Thanks for any input,

Mike

mxraptor149
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Mike,

I think if you get replies to this you're going to get a wide variety of responses. I would suggest searching the forums for "training" or something to that end and you'll get quite a few posts on the topic.

That said, my first reaction is to tell you not to stop going to the gym. If your routines are getting boring, mix them up. If you're doing a lot of benches or free weights for your chest, try a few weeks of chest exercises on machines and cables. Low reps on free weights will help make muscles bigger, but more reps on lighter weights on machines will make you more tone.

Second, add some things to compliment your routine. For example, if you're lifting weights at the gym to strengthen your legs, try riding your mountain bike at home to help build the stamina in your legs and use those muscles. If you're running on a treadmill or eliptacle for cardio, try swimming to compliment the endurance training and help strengthen your back.

Going to the gym keeps me strong. I don't lift to get big, I lift to strength train. If you stop going to the gym, your muscles will slowly atrophy if you are not replacing the gym with an adequate form of exercise, and if your muscles are less prepared you will suffer on the track.

I lift weights, swim, bike (and of course) ride my quad to train and stay in shape. By doing all four things, and not focusing on one too hard, it keeps the routine interesting and keeps me flexible, both physically and mentally.

As for diet, I'm not going to touch that subject because there are too many options and I'm not an expert. But there is one piece of advice I can give you on that: stop eating fast food and junk food!

KWAD GAWD
04-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Eat nothing but meats, veggies and fruits. Drink lots of water. No sugar, candy, chips, or deep friend foods, or ice cream snacks. No pop.
Mtn bike or jog at least 4 times a week. Stretch every day, lift light weights - high reps.

ZeroLogic
04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
BMX and eat healthy.

mine
04-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by mxraptor149
Mike,

I think if you get replies to this you're going to get a wide variety of responses. I would suggest searching the forums for "training" or something to that end and you'll get quite a few posts on the topic.

That said, my first reaction is to tell you not to stop going to the gym. If your routines are getting boring, mix them up. If you're doing a lot of benches or free weights for your chest, try a few weeks of chest exercises on machines and cables. Low reps on free weights will help make muscles bigger, but more reps on lighter weights on machines will make you more tone.

Second, add some things to compliment your routine. For example, if you're lifting weights at the gym to strengthen your legs, try riding your mountain bike at home to help build the stamina in your legs and use those muscles. If you're running on a treadmill or eliptacle for cardio, try swimming to compliment the endurance training and help strengthen your back.

Going to the gym keeps me strong. I don't lift to get big, I lift to strength train. If you stop going to the gym, your muscles will slowly atrophy if you are not replacing the gym with an adequate form of exercise, and if your muscles are less prepared you will suffer on the track.

I lift weights, swim, bike (and of course) ride my quad to train and stay in shape. By doing all four things, and not focusing on one too hard, it keeps the routine interesting and keeps me flexible, both physically and mentally.

As for diet, I'm not going to touch that subject because there are too many options and I'm not an expert. But there is one piece of advice I can give you on that: stop eating fast food and junk food!

Thanks Mxraptor,

I have not drinken soda in about 7 months, with all honesty it's gross, but, all to their own. I've givven up fried foods completely. I am trying to stick to baked and steamed foods.

I really am not looking for perfect abs or huge bis and tris. I just want to have the weight advantage and the endurance to go all out for a 20 minute moto.

Mc. Muffin
04-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Eat baked chicken and drink water for 1 month and I bet you will lose 15 pounds easy!
and BMX will defiantly help also

mine
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
^

Hammer trx450r
04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Running is great, if your a girl!!:devil:

Running lowers testosterone levels

Running will make your body burn muscle

If you dont want to loose size do explosive type running exercises

GPracer2500
04-26-2007, 03:29 PM
If there's a lake near you, pick up an older stand-up jet ski for cheap. Kawasaki JS550s can often be had for about $500.

I accidently lost 20lbs and toned up riding a stand-up. Plus, it's amazing fun.

TRX450RACER174
04-26-2007, 06:55 PM
I feel you i have been training for gp's 45min to 60min races. I started on the eliptical for 60min to try to gain the stamina to stand for 60min a race. I also hit light weights for my shoulders and arms and back. I started out at 242 and am down to 225 right now all i can say is keep it up and change it up either the time you go or your routine, it also helps if you have a partner makes the time go by faster, good luck and keep it up.