PDA

View Full Version : tecate 650?

Warrioreater400ex
10-22-2001, 05:39 PM
anybody see the spy photo of the new kawisaki quad, its in 4 wheel atv action. its a pic from behind, it has dual exhaust and the 650 v-twin engine (kinda like the prairie), they didnt have kawi plastic on it cuz its just a prototype, it had banshee front plastic and 400 ex rear plastic, its suppose to be a 2003 model.

i have ridden the prairie 650 and that engine in a sports quad would be pretty sweet!!

nakomis0
10-22-2001, 06:24 PM
We saw that a few months ago , had the pic posted.

Guy400
10-22-2001, 06:34 PM
I posted the pic a long time ago but here it is again. They were tryin' to be secretive about it but the thing came in on a big Kawy R&D truck.

400exRacerX
10-22-2001, 06:41 PM
yea i noticed that article in the new 4 wheel atv action mag. and remembered how long ago that guy660r posted that pic, we must have known about this quad for about 2 months. they did a good job camoing the quad with 400ex rear fenders and banshee front fenders but the truck gave it away.

10-22-2001, 07:20 PM
Isn't the v-twin engine heavy?

Tommy 17
10-22-2001, 07:44 PM
Where was the place at. i bet that quad will be better then the ****zuki.

redrider420
10-22-2001, 07:49 PM
I think if kawasaki puts the 650 automatic motor into a high performance chassis, it will create a new market for high performance automatic machines. yeah i know polaris already has automatic sport quads, but they're not HP. Honda could make a quad with the rincon engine. Yamaha could even make an automatic raptor or something. I don't have anything against polaris but the new quads would stomp the scramblers.

Guy400
10-22-2001, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
Where was the place at. i bet that quad will be better then the ****zuki. Kaw brought the bike out to California to test. Got news for ya, if it's better than the Suzuki it's going to be better than your precious 400EX. A little off topic but it gets so frustrating constantly reading posts from people that down other quads before they even ride them. I mean, I realize that this is a Honda board but how can a person make a value judgement against a quad that hasn't even been ridden yet? We can infer how a quad might or might not perform based on visual or technical information but the truth won't be told until the bike gets released to the public. Z400=lower, longer, just as wide, more power, copied 250R/400EX frame. Sure, reliability hasn't been tested but isn't it a little early to be calling it the "****zuki?" I'm also not going to crown it king yet, either. People can wind up looking real stupid because they talk the talk before they've walked the walk. It'll be interesting to hear the names for the new Polaris sport quad, hmm, probably something like "Poor-laris" What happens if it kicks the 400's butt? Wait, I know. "My 400 was $1000 cheaper than the Polaris sport quad so with the money I saved I can get a 440 kit and Works shocks and kill it at the track." Justify it how you may but you're still modding to keep up with a stock bike.

420, this Kaw had a manual transmission and from what I heard from the guy that took the pic they weren't able to establish whether or not it was a 5 or 6 speed. I would imagine that a 650 V-twin would weigh a little more but the torque that a V motor would produce would hopefully offset it.

AlaskaSpeed
10-22-2001, 08:51 PM
Guy660r,
Come on, you aren't really surprised about the ignorant talk and claims that go on here; are you??? This board is getting some of the same people that the "other" forum had. The funny thing is that I get the rules tossed at me when I try to quiet these idiots down. Go figure. Maybe we should try the olive branch of peace with the likes of Bin Laden too? Ridiculous. JIM

10-22-2001, 09:07 PM
People, who cares? Why does everyone have so much problem with variety? If the only sport quad was the 400ex we would all be bored. If you want a Raptor, buy it. Deal with the tippy handling and I would buy one. It looks great. If there was a 99 model (I know they wasn't one made back then) laying around for $4500, I would snatch it up. The Suzuki? I like it. It looks cool, and if I could get a Cannondale, I would. We all have our reasons for the bikes we ride, and that is what makes us all have fun together. The bottom line for me is, I like the Honda because I can get one for a decent price and still afford to trick it out. If I could do that with a Raptor, I would. I enjoy riding a 400ex. I don't care what you ride! If you have the attitude about helping everyone have as much fun as you do, then I would love to ride with you. I have a couple friends that are WAY better than me at MX, at least at some parts, but they help me learn things, and that makes them great in my book. If everyone was issued a 400ex at age 16, no one would enjoy having one. It's all about choice. And if all you want to do is putt around, who cares? You paid for it! STOP ALL THE GRIPING ABOUT OTHER BRANDS!! Leo, I suggest you start banning IPs at will. Keep things in their place. Sorry for the long post, but I was a member here WAY back near the beginning, and I love this site. There is no other site for 400ex riders, please don't mess this up and make everyone start all over again some place else.

Leo
10-22-2001, 09:59 PM
In regards to some of the 'trouble' that's been going happening on the board...

The hammer is about to fall on some of the folks who constantly make posts that would be considered bad, even by 'connection standards...

When the board was started it was focused around decent, human, intelligent conversations about EX's, maintenance, mods, etc..

So, if your only goal is to cause havoc, and your posts are consitently destructive, instead of constructive, better think about strapping your helmet on :D

[message not intended for anyone involved in this thread specifically, more of a general rant on my part :)]

Leo

crday98
10-22-2001, 11:51 PM
i agree with you 100% guy660r i deal with that kind of stuff at work too.this guy at work claims these new quads are junk and they haven't been released yet,and of course they will never touch his quad.:rolleyes: i love how everyone could bash things before they have any knowledge of them.this guy also claims he can destroy me on the track and his quad will destroy mine and on and on.he has never seen me ride nor has ever ridden my quad but he is better and has better:rolleyes: it is kind of funny because he comes in every monday and says he finished good at a race then as the week goes on and the more people he talks to,the more closer to first place he finished.there was a local cc race and he was bragging that he got 2nd place.it turns out he was in the 30 & over class with only 4 people in the class and the 1st place winner had to change a flat and still finished 6 laps ahead of him:D sorry,had to vent.:D

schism_rhs
10-23-2001, 04:53 AM
I'm not sure but deffinatley judging from that prototype pic, it looks like a normal sport quad doesn't look like it has the Kawi 600 in it, especial not automatic, and it just plain doesn't look like it has a 600cc engine, just doesn't look all that big

Guy400
10-23-2001, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by schism_rhs
it just plain doesn't look like it has a 600cc engine, just doesn't look all that big How can you even see the motor:huh The only reason we actually know what motor it was running was because of the people that were actually there and verified that it was a V-twin configuration. It's just being assumed that the V-twin was the 650 from the Prairie that's been tuned for a sport bike and it definitely had a manual transmission.

Dave310R
10-23-2001, 11:33 AM
Somebody told me that the Prairie 650 has a top end speed that pushes close to 70mph. Is that true ?? If so, how fast could you speculate that the hypothetical Tecate 650 would do ? 80 perhaps ? Any thoughts ?

10-23-2001, 01:20 PM
Supposedly, the Prairie 650 will beat a *stock* 400EX in a straight line drag...right up to top speed. So, shedding 50+ pounds, replacing the tranny with a sportier gear-set, and putting the classic name TECATE on the quad, results in a 400EX-eating, Raptor-swallowing, Z400-shredding zooter.

Hell of a return for Kawi to the Sport-quad-market !!!
Will it happen? TBD.

schism_rhs
10-23-2001, 01:26 PM
Well Kawi are deffinatley due for a an upgrade in their Sport oriented department, and the way the trend is going it looks like they will be, They just put out the 650 V-Twin. And are announcing a new Sport/Utility model with a 360 engine on their site. And to compete with the trend of 250 Class Sport utilitity like the Recon and Suzuki's new Ozark, they've upgraded the Bayou 220 and made a Bayou 250, which by all means does look like a nice bike, so all they need now is a boost in the sport department...which deffinatley looks like its coming !

JabberJaw
10-23-2001, 02:52 PM
Any new quad that is PAID for is an excellent quad!

"BLAHH"300!!
10-23-2001, 02:57 PM
- if all that is posted before is true-
then were about to get smoked out-
-
butt ??
if i read right-
- i understand it's still in the making but
it has an automatic tranny ?
why not a manuel clutch- automatic is kinda boring

oh yeah- i know what banshee means i know what a raptor is and mojave- but what is tecate-? what does that mean--
and it's pronounced- te-kah-ty right ??

Guy400
10-23-2001, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by EX-CITING 300
butt ??
if i read right-
- i understand it's still in the making but
it has an automatic tranny ?
why not a manuel clutch- automatic is kinda boring
Ahhhh!!!! I've said twice now in this thread that it definitely had a MANUAL transmission:confused:

10-23-2001, 04:18 PM
Tecate was a 3-wheeler and later 4-wheeler made by Kawasaki with 250 2-stroke engines in the eighties. Very fast, I hear, but some problems. Anyone have any more info?:D

MR. HONDA EX'S
10-23-2001, 04:58 PM
I'd love to have a 250 tecate 4. My cuz has a 86 250 tecate 3 wheeler, that thing will fly. He got it for $250 also. If and when kaw goes out with this new tecate 650, I'll have to check it out. I'm in the market for new quad ( I still have room in the shop) I'm going to also check the ltz 400 out too. What is the model yr of the 650?

canadian400ex
10-23-2001, 05:02 PM
I beleive the new kawi is supposed to be part of the 2003 line-up. I too am quite excited to see the thing in action!

"BLAHH"300!!
10-23-2001, 05:13 PM
i know about the tecate 4's what i was asking was

how do you pronounce the word i've only seen it written never said
is it- tek-eight---or---- te-cah-tey

tho' i didn't know they had a 3 wheeler of one before the 4wheel

look on e-bay they have a very super clean one on there right now- and one thats not so great- one just sold on there for like-
$1500.00 last month i like em'

max400EX
10-23-2001, 05:42 PM
teh-kah-tee. the old ones flat out hauled balls. The suspension was not good, and there were a few small flaws if i am correct. In a straight line it smoked the honda and LT 250's.

4punksdad
10-23-2001, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Alaska_400EX
Guy660r,
Come on, you aren't really surprised about the ignorant talk and claims that go on here; are you??? This board is getting some of the same people that the "other" forum had. The funny thing is that I get the rules tossed at me when I try to quiet these idiots down. Go figure. Maybe we should try the olive branch of peace with the likes of Bin Laden too? Ridiculous. JIM
I wonder why anyone would point out the rules to you jim????

4punksdad
10-23-2001, 06:15 PM
for those who asked about the tecate...........here is a picture of the tecate 3 wheeler. borrowed from www.3wheelerworld.com

10-23-2001, 06:42 PM
From what i remember...the stock Tecate 4 had more get up and go then the stock 250r in all years the Tecate 4 was made. The reason you don't see Tecate 4's at tracks is due to the Kawi's reliability problems at the time. If you can find one at a good price, buy it and restore the crap out of it.

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 07:30 AM
i dont like the way that trik looks- ugly-
but i do like the 4wheel tecate's

knighttime
10-24-2001, 07:56 AM
I have read that they were the fastest, best handling stock quad ever made, except for 1 little thing: the fact that the mofo's fell apart.:huh

Tommy 17
10-24-2001, 05:19 PM
guy i didn't mean to start nuttin but around here suzuki has always been ****zuki even at the races people talk like that, then thers whosasaki or kawi, yamaha is yammy just like raptors half the people haven't rode them buts its just the thing to do to call it rapturd just like somewhere else in america theres a bad name for honda and 400exs. sry when i said i bet the kawi will be better i ment like it will probably be faster being a 650 v-twin it looks like it will ok sry i posted it i don't want people flaming me i don't wanna get kicked off this site i stop here.

****edited by 3punksdad****
that wasn't a nice thing to say.
****end edit*****

leo i fully agree wit u and sry i caused this by sayin that.

"BLAHH"300!!
10-29-2001, 10:48 AM
a new kawasaki 650 v-twin prarie-
hummm... must the motor for the new tecate-
like in yamaha's new grizzly 660-

whats honda's largest motor- is it 400??

Green Goblin
07-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Old thread ! LOL didnt this secretive quad turn out to be the kawasaki kfx 700 ? lol ;)

Butters
07-27-2004, 10:18 PM
dam this thread is 3 years old.

remlapr
07-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Looks like Tommy used to be a little trouble maker LOL...

cheetah
07-28-2004, 09:57 AM
I have a tecate 4 sitting in the garage in pieces right now but have never got to ride it. I hope to turn it into one of the baddest tecates around. Just gotta get everything in order and my frame powdercoated. What do you all think, a 295, 310, or 330?:devil: