PDA

View Full Version : Bad Starter ? Im at a loss

Muddinguy
04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Ok well 1st of all im new to the board.. checked out a few ATV boards before deciding to join this one so hi everyone..

I got a 00' 400EX that is pissing me off ! :devil:
At the Dunes this weekend it just all out dies about sending me over the bars..I was running a set of whoops and came off of one and it quit. It would crank about a half revolution at a time.. im like ok i seized the engine.. w/e load it in the truck accept defeat and come back home.. Well get into it yesterday and messing with stuff engine ISNT seized cause i can pull the plug and it'll crank fine.. Now im ike WTF..:huh OK so i keep messing with stuff engine turns by hand just fine.. NOW the starter wont engage at all just getting a click from the selinoid.. Now i dont even get that. So my buddy who works for roush industries as a instrumentation tech comes over and gets into the wiring harness to find all kinda of hack worked wiring from pervious owner.. so hes got the harness out of the bike at work with him redoing that.. and the starter cranks when i put it directly to the battery.. but sparks like crazy.. and when we checked the starter.. the positive terminal is shorted out to the case.. :huh Now i know my sutff when it comes to cars. and i would asume ATV's are no different.. But the positive terminal isnt supposed to have conectivity to the case correct ?? :p

So im thinkin it's time to order a starter..
Any idea's on whats with the engine based on what ive told you ??

PS. ive attatched a picture of my quad..

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/Muddinguy/Quads/DSC01408.jpg

chopper400ex
04-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Did you try to cross the solenoid? That should till you if it is the battery.

Muddinguy
04-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Yes crossed the selenoid. nothing happened.. battery is good just replaced it month or so ago.. and if i touch the starter directly to the battery it turns just sparks a bunch from the connections..

chopper400ex
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
sounds like a starter to me.

Muddinguy
04-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Ok i ordered the starter, it should be here in a day or two.. also ordered a new motion pro clutch cable my stocker was getting stretched.
Any ideas on what killed the engine ???

REPOMAN
04-27-2007, 05:39 PM
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AWHILE BACK AND ENDED UP BUYING A NEW MOTOR. BUT THEN AGAIN I LIKE TO SPEND MONEY AND DIDNT WANT TO WAST TIME FIGURING THE PROBLEM OUT UNTIL WINTER WHEN I DONT WANT TO RIDE. I AM INTERESTED TO SEE WHAT YOU FIND OUT

Sparky_20
04-27-2007, 08:12 PM
sorry im a noob to riding but im assuming a "whoop" is a dune? You could have just had fuel starvation that made it die.

400eXr1d3rZ
04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Sparky_20
sorry im a noob to riding but im assuming a "whoop" is a dune? You could have just had fuel starvation that made it die.

Whoops are normally found on an MX track

They look like this

http://www.motoxschool.com/images/whoops5.jpg
http://www.leelikesbikes.com/wp-content/121206whoops.jpg

Muddinguy
04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
yea, preatty much that cept in a sand dunes enviroment..

Sparky_20
04-28-2007, 09:04 PM
excellent, cool pics btw