PDA

View Full Version : rockerbox bolts stripped, head gasket blowing, oil everywere!!!!

airman88
04-25-2007, 08:30 AM
i am having trouble with my 03 416 motor. i have about 3 or 4 stripped bolts it the rockerbox and 2 are the long ones, i just drilled them out and helicoiled them and they are already pulling out and leaking oil all over the place. is there any way i can fix them without buying a new head? also ive put about 3 head gaskets in the dang thing and they start leaking after about a week of riding, should i switch to the heavy duty head studs or is there somthing else i could do to stop the damn thing from leaking oil all over the place??? the motor is bored to an 87mm with 10.8:1 comp.

400exrider707
04-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by airman88
i am having trouble with my 03 416 motor. i have about 3 or 4 stripped bolts it the rockerbox and 2 are the long ones, i just drilled them out and helicoiled them and they are already pulling out and leaking oil all over the place. is there any way i can fix them without buying a new head? also ive put about 3 head gaskets in the dang thing and they start leaking after about a week of riding, should i switch to the heavy duty head studs or is there somthing else i could do to stop the damn thing from leaking oil all over the place??? the motor is bored to an 87mm with 10.8:1 comp.

What head gaskets are you using?

airman88
04-25-2007, 08:48 AM
i bought them from the honda dealer so im guessing OEM???

400exrider707
04-25-2007, 10:30 AM
i bought them from the honda dealer so im guessing OEM???

Your guessing OEM, did the package say anything on it? OEM, or cometic are the only way to go IMO. My dealer sells a whole array of gaskets, as they are a parts unlimited distributor.

airman88
04-25-2007, 02:32 PM
the dealer didnt have any top end kits so the cut onpen a complete and gave me all the gaskets i need so i didnt get a package with the i saw the pakage it was green and black it might have bee versch or whatever if the make gaskets but im not sure

400exrider707
04-26-2007, 09:01 AM
the dealer didnt have any top end kits so the cut onpen a complete and gave me all the gaskets i need so i didnt get a package with the i saw the pakage it was green and black it might have bee versch or whatever if the make gaskets but im not sure

Yes vesrah is usually in a green and black box, and those are usually quality gaskets, I guess I would try replacing it once more with a cometic, and then if it does it again, heavy duty studs are in your future. You could just skip the gasket and go straight for the studs, but for $20, I would rather try another gasket.