PDA

View Full Version : 400 to 416 ?'s

Honda#4
04-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Well fineally got word from my dealer that aparently I got dirt in my intake from not having a properly sealed air filter (damit) so now i'm faced with a rebuild and I got questions.

I was thinking of going with the 416cc Big Bore kit from Goldenwestcycle it comes with a JE piston running 11:1 comp and a Hotcam Stage 1 with the topend gaskets for $330

I've heard nothing but good things about running the 416 but do you need the extra reinforcement like a heavy duty cam chain and heavier valves with the valve springs? And what about running heavy duty head studs is it nessacery with running 11:1 .

Sorry for the long post, if there is anything else I missed please tell me.

zrpilot
04-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Cam Chain - Yes, cheap insrance

HD studs - Nice, but not have to have.

Valves and springs - I would have my head serviced by C&D and have them tell you what it needs. More then likely it will need seals, maybe guides and for sure a valve lap/grind.

Honda#4
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I asked Colby what I should all do so hopefully I get a quote back.
So is the CRF 450 Cam chain the one that works in a 400?

So for boring and honing of the cylinder and to service my head how much are we talking here.

j450rking
04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
well i would get the cam,piston and top end gaskets from c&d it will be cheaper!

and boring is like $75

Honda#4
04-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Would it just be better if I just sent my whole motor to C&D to get everything done for the top end.

awsomeaussies
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Would it just be better if I just sent my whole motor to C&D to get everything done for the top end.

You could, but it's really not that hard to take your top end off. I sent mine out to them last week. So it's pretty simple, besides a stupid bolt breaking inside the engine:mad: But just make sure you have a good manual.

Honda#4
04-25-2007, 10:57 AM
I want this done the right way the first time. I just want to get this done ASAP, I really dont have the time to mess with it right now due to working in the fields so i'm a very busy person. My local dealer is gonna charge me $400 to the boring and honing and the piston install, but as long as im in this stage I might as well go with a cam and a heavier cam chain and new valve seals.

vett_09
04-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I would recommend getting the HD studs, they're worth the money. You might get away with using stock studs, but the last thing you want from a newly rebuilt motor is an oil leak. It's not worth the trouble.

Rusty- Ranger
04-25-2007, 04:58 PM
hey, i have a 416 with wiseco 11:1 piston, works alot better, i have the hd studds in mine because they were pullin out with the stock piston. I know a guy that had a 440 with stock stuffs and never had any trobles.