PDA

View Full Version : Moto 440 MOD ideas

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:00 PM
I need some ideas on what to do to my moto to make it better than it already is...thanks for the help.

Moto

Pappy
10-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by MotoRacer
I need some ideas on what to do to my moto to make it better than it already is...thanks for the help.

Moto

ummm...isnt that the point of buying a moto...its done:confused:

10-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Buy the Lonestar seat latch. It is a real good product. Mayby radiator screen if you ride in some soupy area.

10-12-2002, 06:08 PM
take them d@mn headlights out, and put your number plates on.

Pappy
10-12-2002, 06:08 PM
the screen is a good idea.....i want one for my dale....where do you get them?

10-12-2002, 06:09 PM
Heel Gaurds = Gay

Get a nice new AC Bumper

Bean
10-12-2002, 06:10 PM
yea, kinda takes the fun out of it, not bein able to mod much

stickers, grips, and seatlatch, arms, axel, shocks are all possibles

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:12 PM
haha..i took those lights off, and put the delete covers on, along with the front number plate.

Pappy
10-12-2002, 06:12 PM
haha.....i bought prm rear grab bar....and skids but aint put them on yet..maybe tomarrow:rolleyes: i sure like the low ride look of the ssd elkas tho:D

10-12-2002, 06:14 PM
Nac's has many things for them, but thier website sucks. Nac's if you are reading this make your website better. R.I.S. Designs makes the Radiator Louvers. They are $115. Look pretty cool. Check the new Nac's ad in DirtWheels. It has tons of stuff.

10-12-2002, 06:17 PM
I spoke too soon MotoRacer. Nac's even has polished and billet clutch covers, flywheel covers, and sprocket guards.

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:17 PM
yeah, i just ordered some shock covers from them...what do you think of a plus 3 walsh front end and axis shocks? would it make it any better, or is it a waste?

Pappy
10-12-2002, 06:18 PM
thats gonna be more then a lil mod....lol but would be an improvement over the stock moto set up.

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:20 PM
yeah..kind of a big mods, but there isn't much to do..would it be a BIG difference? with that kind of money to spend, there has to be some huge changes..(not that the moto needs it though) hehe.

10-12-2002, 06:20 PM
There are a couple of ravin homo's on here who would want to crucify me for saying this, but the way it comes is really good. Just take it slow and make adjustments. I have a good tip for ya. Buy two 1/4 inch spacers, and put them behind the hubs. It makes it a true 50 inches in the rear. It makes a difference.

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:22 PM
I was just thinking about making it wider, because i just got home fron the track, and I flipped it twice in a corner..granted I am still getting used to how to move on the new bike, but, i figured a +3 might help, along with the lowered ride height of axis...how can i lower the moto with the stock shocks, without loosing travel?

Pappy
10-12-2002, 06:24 PM
i dunno...if i had the cash for that front end...i might just spend it somewhere else. i think if you wanted all that after market stuff...i would have bought a cannibal and saved some cash from the start....lol

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:27 PM
lol...I love everything on the moto...things i wanna change are the radiator shrouds, i wanna get front beadlock rims, front bumper, and then the only other think i was considering was the front end...not sure on it though.

OG350
10-12-2002, 06:32 PM
Nice Lexus in the pic MotoRacer

10-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Ya, you can lower the shocks. I doubt you are using all of the travel the shocks have anyway.

racerx573
10-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Get the Walsh Subframe kit and aluminum tank so you can use 250R plastics/seat! Get some new shiny Maier 250R plastics then. It makes it feel so much better, feels just like riding an R!, get rid of the front end and get a walsh or pro-trax. Throw away the ohlins and get some axis. And you got one bad@ss mofo

10-12-2002, 06:36 PM
I was born on third base.....:confused:

Pappy
10-12-2002, 06:38 PM
hey jason...any pics of that set up with the r plastic?

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:38 PM
wow man your good...didn't even know that the car was in the pic..thanks..hehe..i want to keep it looking like a cannondale...I am DEFINITLY thinking about that walsh front end with axis shocks...what is better for lower ride? axis or pep zps? How much can i get for my arms and shocks on the moto now?

OG350
10-12-2002, 06:40 PM
wow man your good...didn't even know that the car was in the pic..thanks..hehe..i want to keep it looking like a cannondale...I am DEFINITLY thinking about that walsh front end with axis shocks...what is better for lower ride? axis or pep zps? How much can i get for my arms and shocks on the moto now? About 1k sell it back to the dealer and they'll give u the cash for it and they'll put your old front end stuff in there inventory.

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:42 PM
400ex127...there is a thread on this forum..i can't remember where i saw it though..it had a few pictures of Canney's with black fullbore plastic..looked pretty sweet..

Pappy
10-12-2002, 06:43 PM
yeah im keepin the cdale look...just wonderin what it looked like....ill go look for it thanks!!

racerx573
10-12-2002, 06:45 PM
You could probly get a lot for the front end, lots of Cannibal and Speed owners looking for them. The reason I mentioned the R set up is that one of the guys who races here bought Mike Walsh's Dale (the one in the latest ATV Sport). The axis would definitely be your best bet. Kenny, I will get pics of the Dale this weekend if Justin brings the dale. I know the subframe and tank kit are in the $1000 rang + cost of R plastic (Maier $250+ Full Bore close to $500).

Actually...motoracer, If I were you. I would sell the moto and get a Speed or Cannibal, (I believe Walsh's was a Cannibal). Then just upgrade the suspension, etc... But either way, it will still be badass. Get some headlight covers or the Quad Tech carbon hood....just my $0.02

10-12-2002, 06:55 PM
uhhh i dont think u can go ne wider ....the moto is already 50 inches wide.... u need to learn how to corner on it before u waste money its not the quads fault it flipped.. my quad is 46 inches wide and ive never flipped it in the corner... the only mods i see for a moto would maybe be some better shocks and graphics , a mud screen soem hand guards and radiator shrouds.... dont go and buy a speed cuz ud just be spending more money to make it as good as urs is

10-12-2002, 06:57 PM
oh yeah, do u ahev your rear axle extended all the way out? they would help if u did, it looks like u have it all the way in

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:57 PM
how do some people have +3 front ends though if you can't go any wider?

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 06:58 PM
i haven't adjusted anything, so it might be.

Pappy
10-12-2002, 07:00 PM
ride the sucka!!!!! take the money you were gonna spend and by beer and make room in the house for trophies.....lol

sorry...the boredom has set in:huh

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 07:02 PM
lol! :)

10-12-2002, 07:02 PM
because thier goin +3 on cannibals which are much narrower than your quad, everyone wants to be at about 50 incehs and u r stock, look at your rear alxe if the spacers are on the alxe against the back of your hub its adjusted all the way wide, if the adjuster are behind the axle nut u can go much wider

racerx573
10-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Well if you bought a Cannibal $6995, then axis shocks $1350 fronts, $900** rear, Walsh A-arms (around $900*), front holeshot MX ($110/pair), rear beadlocks w/ tires ($300**), HMF pipe ($300**), RPM ($469**)or LSR ($350**) You would have one badass machine a lot better than a moto for around the same price! I dunno bout you, but Id rather have that than a moto!, And my preference Id get the R plastic kit ($1500**)

(all prices are approximate, remember you can always find used beadlocks)

10-12-2002, 07:08 PM
hmm,.....that would be a waste! his quad is pretty mucht hat good now...the only diff is ud have a bunch of names on it......that quad is better than most of us will ever need, he needs to work on his cornering before he worries about the quad.... id check into the axle adjustment though

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 07:08 PM
nah def not...not that the cannibal is a bad bike, but a moto will eat one alive...you won't know it, until u ride and race one.

Pappy
10-12-2002, 07:10 PM
nah def not...not that the cannibal is a bad bike, but a moto will eat one alive...you won't know it, until u ride and race one.

well.....i hope to find that out for myself.....updated mapping and exhaust will put the cannibal right beside the moto.;)

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 07:15 PM
o yeah...i mean if u put the time and money into a cannibal, then you can step rite up by the moto...but if u just put a map and exhaust on it, the moto will still beat it...flyin into a sharp corner, or hittin a 90 ft double...moto will still take top spot, unless u put lots of money into it to equal it to a moto...for example, linkless swingarm, longtravel shocks all around, exhaust, mapping, a-arms, axle, etc etc...lots of money has to be put into a cannibal or speed to make it stand next to the moto on the track.

racerx573
10-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Just my opinion, thats all... Ive ridden both a moto, and a speed. the speed had moto mapping and an HMF pipe, it also had an LSR axle, LSR +3 a-arms (long travels), TCS shocks, douglas wheels (rear locks) w/ holeshot MX. Personally I wouldve rather had the speed. I didnt like the ohlins shocks on the moto.

The guy who has walsh's bought it for $10K, Id take it over a moto any day!

Bean
10-12-2002, 07:17 PM
all u hav to do to get a cannible to moto motor status is bump the revs, mod the mappin, and ur done

racerx573
10-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Well said Bean.

Pappy
10-12-2002, 07:18 PM
o yeah...i mean if u put the time and money into a cannibal, then you can step rite up by the moto...but if u just put a map and exhaust on it, the moto will still beat it...flyin into a sharp corner, or hittin a 90 ft double...moto will still take top spot, unless u put lots of money into it to equal it to a moto...for example, linkless swingarm, longtravel shocks all around, exhaust, mapping, a-arms, axle, etc etc...lots of money has to be put into a cannibal or speed to make it stand next to the moto on the track.

ummm......i think a good rider will stay right with it....seen it happen on other quads. dont give the rider any credit.....you will get your arse handed to you more times then not.

10-12-2002, 07:19 PM
you could build a cannibal to be as good or better than your moto for about the same price maybe a tad more

racerx573
10-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Well, my friend is a dale test rider, and rides stock cannibals and speeds, and other prototype quads....I watch him win the open 4 stroke class from start to finish here in D5. on a bone stock cannibal (w/ 300+ hours on it). He smoked some FAST riders on FAST quads....one was a 500EX, a laegers 425X, 440EX, and numerous others....i think the dales in general are fast, and you (Kenny) ARE right, the rider does make all the difference, for I have seen it with my own 2 eyes!

MotoRacer
10-12-2002, 07:23 PM
the rider makes the bike perform well..im just talking equal riders on the 2 different bikes.

I was thinking about doing a cannibal up into a race quad..but think of how many things u would have to get..all that i mentioned before, and then little things..braided brake lines, rear wave brake, tag bars, kill switch, number plates..etc..etcc..lot of stuff has to go on it. things like handlebars don't effect how the quad does on the track..im just talking to th kind of money that has to go into a cannibal to make it a moto.
More money than a moto already is...or...why would they even sell a moto?

racerx573
10-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Well youve got the bike...now the rider must come into play. Thats like the pros,.....all theyre machines are basically even, its all above the neck and below the belt from there, if ya know what I mean..

racerx573
10-12-2002, 07:26 PM
PS. I dont think the wave rotors would make you a lot faster....;)

Pappy
10-12-2002, 07:27 PM
no fight here guys...lol i am just sayin....dont think cuz you have the baddest quad it will always win. i have seen basically stock 400ex stomp on modded 250r's . why sell the moto? so the buyer doesnt have to do anything to it. i got the cannibal because i dont really race no more. if i did...maybe the moto or speed would get the nod. and if yer ridin skills arent great...dont be surprised to get passed by some hot shot on a 300ex:eek:

racerx573
10-12-2002, 07:32 PM
I aint tryin to start no fights, lol. Ah come on, you know you wanna race still! See ya at wolfmann's??

cdalejef
10-12-2002, 07:39 PM
I was never a big fan of Ohlins till I got my Blaze. The only thing I didn't like about them was they didn't sag. I installed a MacDaddy kit on the rear and came up with my own MacDaddy kit for the front using Elka parts. Now this thing handles like my R with the long travel setup. This is a much cheaper way to lower your Moto without spending a fortune, and will handle just as good as the high dollar shocks. I have pics of this setup at the shop.
Martin from Elka is comming down to the shop on friday to see for himself this setup so they can put kits together and sell them. He's very excited about it!
I have to give credit to Rowlrag, it was his idea!

MotoRacer
10-13-2002, 05:09 AM
awesome jeff..please post pictures if you can, so i can get an idea on how to do this. thanks!.

Moto

10-13-2002, 07:16 AM
Better brakes certainly will make you faster. You can come into a turn faster because you can slow down faster for it. Some people do nothing but talk smack all day. Talk shi7 and swallow spit and notheing else. I assure the brakes on the Moto are much better than the setup on the Cannibal

Bean
10-13-2002, 07:38 AM
i would take a cannible modded out over a moto for one reason, the red plastic rocks!

but some people think that the moto motor is god, it is the EXACT same as the speed, blaze and cannible, cept the blaze is geared down, the cannible only has a 10,000rev limit, and they all hav diff mappin, fix the mappin, and u hav a moto motor right there, BTW, wave roters dont make u go faster, or brake better really, they look cool, and help the brakes last longer cause they cool the pads down, JMO

Guy400
10-13-2002, 07:45 AM
It all boils down to preference. You'd be hard pressed to match mod for mod building up a Cannibal and still be at the same monetary value of the Moto. The Moto is actually priced pretty low for all you get. But, some mods on the Moto aren't for everyone and a lot of people are loyal to certain companies when it comes to exhaust, chassis, etc. There are some mods on a Moto that I wouldn't need such as the tether kill, the wav-loc rotors, etc. Not that these mods are worthless but I just don't need them or want to pay for them. While I was impressed with the quality of the Moto a-arms I don't know if they're the same quality as Walsh's. If I was going to invest in long travel shocks I'd probably not choose the Moto's Ohlins either. They use the smaller, 1/2" shaft and only a single rate spring with a ZPS spring on top. I'd choose another shock company with 9/16" shafts and multi-rate springs. But, there's a lot of ways to skin a cat, choose which one's best for you.

cdalejef
10-13-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Bean
but some people think that the moto motor is god, it is the EXACT same as the speed, blaze and cannible, cept the blaze is geared down, the cannible only has a 10,000rev limit, and they all hav diff mappin, fix the mappin, and u hav a moto motor right there, BTW, wave roters dont make u go faster, or brake better really, they look cool, and help the brakes last longer cause they cool the pads down, JMO The Blaze, Cannibal and Speed have the same gearing. The Moto has a smaller rear sprocket due to the 18" tires.

racerx573
10-13-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by justfine
Better brakes certainly will make you faster. You can come into a turn faster because you can slow down faster for it.

So if I go out and get some wave rotors for my R, its gonna me make me significantly faster?? The only difference in Moto and Cannibal/Speed brakes is the rotors....The wave rotors are just lighter, and clean easier...

10-13-2002, 03:57 PM
so did u look at yer axle and see if its adjusted or not?

330exracer122
10-13-2002, 04:19 PM
**** yea kenny i kicked a cdale *** yesterday.

MotoRacer
10-13-2002, 04:25 PM
I loooked at my axle..it is all the way out..just gotta learn how to take the corners better on the new machine.

400exRacerX
10-13-2002, 04:26 PM
Dude, if your gonna put a arms, axle, and shocks on it,,,,, then what was the point of dishing the 12,500 out for the moto?? You could have just bought a speed and did the a arms, axle and shocks and spent less money and have a better quad.

mrusk
10-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Some peoples parents have more money than they have brains. There is nothing special about the wave rotors. I could have gotten wave rotors for the same price as regular ones, and guess what i got the regular ones.

There is nothing special about the Moto. I think they are over priced. I would never buy one but i do like the concept of them. I just like to build my own bikes.

If i wanted a cannondale i would buy a canniable have it remaped and ad Herrman Long travel aarms 725, PEP ZPS SHOCKS 1800, tag bars 60, rpm axle 370, hiper rims and razr mxs 800, braided brake lines 100, ac pro pegs 180, ac bumper 60.

I added that stuff up in my head and its around 4200. you can get a new canniable for 6500
6500+4200 = 10700 and you got a bike that will SMOKE your moto and will be better in every asspect.

MotoRacer, if you flipped your moto 2 times in the corners you oviously have more bike than skill.

matt

MotoRacer
10-13-2002, 05:54 PM
umm..not really big guy..i don't wanna start a fight on here or anything..i want to have everyone on here as a friend..but, it was the first time on the moto, and as soon as i got there i flipped it..2 hours later i was clearing 90 ft doubles..just a matter of time till i get used to it.

Moto

Nausty
10-13-2002, 07:14 PM
got any pics of this so called 90 foot double? Is this like your first quad? I think you should leave it stock and learn the bike now before you go changing stuff my self. I do just fine with my machine. Heck I had 2 races this weekend on a blown rear shock. heres how it went: saturday night heat, I got the holeshot and held the lead for 3 laps until my tire popped off the bead(3rd or 4th time this has happened, I need beadlocks for the size of rims I got) so then I come back in the main with a blow rear shocks and rock hard tires and win it with ease.

Sunday: heat 1.. I get the holeshot, (again blown rear shock, rock hard tires). I was racing against a full roll/axis/ and sparks I think it was 440 or 416 and 2 other full race 250rs. Again I won on a almost stock quad other than shocks, exhaust and tires for performance items.

main: 3rd place on holeshot, I would of had the holeshot but I couldn't get lined up on the grooves because some other quad riders were in there spot and me and a guy next to me were already touching tires before we left. I beat him out of the gate and he was riding my rear end and I basicly I left the gate good but just had bad luck. Me and a guy got tied up as I was fighting for second as we collided on a jump and my front tire got caught in between his rear tire and his peg. Anyways the rest of the feild had about a lap of lead and I ended up fighting my way to 6th out of 10 or 12 riders. All of the quads were 400ex, raptors, with most of them modded some fully modded. (all of this with a blown rear shock and ROCK hard tires)

SKILL and BALLS is what you need not a quad thats worth 16,000 bucks. i've jumped 70ft on a stock shocked 400ex, and pry around 80ft+ on mine. Basicly what I can find. I am for sure going for a 90ft triple this weekend. I'm tired of thinking about it and I know I can do it. Ah n/m my rear shock is off anyways I won't be able to ride for a few weeks tell I get it fixed.

EDIT: i reread some of that, I don't mean to flame and I know they are in bad grammer but i'm really tired right, now and i've had a really long 3 days and I don't feel like rereading all of it and correcting it.

mrusk
10-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Motoracer in another post u said that you went to Jack Frost. I have been to frost several times and there are not 90 foot doubles there. The biggest is like 65 feet.

matt

10-13-2002, 11:56 PM
dude, you look like a douche bag. You talk too much smack. You are right though. The Moto is no good. It will never win any races,and I wish I was as smart as a piece of white-trash like yourself. Thanks for letting me be on this site with you, and ya my parents got more money than I got sense, and I am sure you would not have a piece of crap like the Moto. Thanks for your guidance. I got that note form my Mom. Can I hang out with you now?

redrider808
10-14-2002, 12:56 AM
hey motoracer the quad is fine all you have to do is mover the clip up on the front shocks.this will lower you moto. as for the shocks just play with them to get them tuned keep track of what you did i spent a week just testing and tuning them. (but im a freak about my stuff) im #220 and they work fine. don't spend money on something if there not broke . as for you fliping it that happins.
every one has fliped a quad . once or twice
to fix that you can switch the rear tires to cut turf tammers thats what i did but i ride a sandy track and have had good luck with cut TT but the hard pack tracks i run hole shots. just my set up
and cut them fenders

MotoRacer
10-14-2002, 12:51 PM
thanks for all of the advice guyz...as for jack frost..they just re-did a quad track all the way in the back, and the furthest jump in the back is a 90ft table top...i will get pictures next time i go up..thanks for all of everyones help.

Moto

10-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Hey guys, Notice how this is a mod thread for Moto440's and Nausty is giving us his life story....Dude is an ego-maniac......lol:D

Nausty
10-14-2002, 04:10 PM
lol maybe, I just wanted to tell everyone how my weekend went though.

trx400ex
10-14-2002, 04:15 PM
i bet if they gave him a stock Speed he would win the Pro championship next year..:eek:....on a blown rear shock :confused:

Guy400
10-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
i bet if they gave him a stock Speed he would win the Pro championship next year..:eek:....on a blown rear shock :confused: How'd you know? Did you call Miss Cleo?:D

I always see piped 400's holeshooting highly modified EX's, R's and Raptor's, don't you?

trx400ex
10-14-2002, 04:25 PM
Miss Cleo has the ansas to all ya questions...

maybe if i blow my tires off the bead i can win races with ease....dont forget the rock hard tires:blah

RideRed04
10-14-2002, 04:41 PM
snickers are the greatest candy bars ever made, especially the ice cream ones.

lil400exman
10-17-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 400ex127

ummm......i think a good rider will bang right with it....i have seen it happen on other quads. give the rider credit.....you will get the racers arse handed to you more times than a muther if not.

dang 400ex127 you scare me soetimes.......:blah

YamaWarr0121
10-17-2002, 01:21 PM
thanks for all of the advice guyz...as for jack frost..they just re-did a quad track all the way in the back, and the furthest jump in the back is a 90ft table top...i will get pictures next time i go up..thanks for all of everyones help.

Moto

alright, so the quad track all the way in the back near the woods, behind the dirtbikes mx track? if ur talkin bout that one theres no bigger jump than about 35 foot 40 at longest, i cleared it on my warrior, you gotta mean the expert sx track where theres some decent 60 foot doubles i did on a speed the weekend i went up...? maybe thats wut ur talkin bout? cuz i can do everyjump on everytrack there and i didtn jump 90 feet just lettin u kno

boococky
10-30-2002, 06:55 PM
i work at traxx and theres nothing close to 90 feet in the whole park