PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar 250R Axle in a 400ex, Having some Problems, Need some help!

Butter
04-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey, I bought this Lonestar 250R axle off e-bay for $125. Awesome shape, no bends, cracks, anything. I found out after I bought it that I needed the hubs from a 250R, so a friend of mine still has a Laeger framed 250R, and a ton of extras, so he let me borrow the hubs so I could ride last weekend. No problems there, but now to the problem.

When I bought the bike, the guy told me he wrecked the stock brake rotor. Later he found out that a 300ex uses the same size rotor. Only difference is that a 400ex uses a 4-bolt hub, and a 300ex uses a 3-bolt hub. So he put the 300ex rotor on there, and happen to have a Lonestar Anti-Fade Hub for a 300ex, so he put that on as well. Now I researched the differences between a 400ex and 250R axle and some people say the whole rear brake assembly has to changed, and others say just the wheel hubs need to be changed. Now my problem is that the groove in the axle is too far away from the anti-fade hub. It has to be unscrewed too far to meet the snap ring on the axle, and only has a thread and a half to be tightened up on. I kept my eye on it last weekend, and it came loose right away, so every so often I would hand tighten it so nothing would come apart, and I could at least ride through the day. Any ideas on a solution, or what I could try to help the problem. Is the 300ex stuff causing the problem? I really can't afford another axle, otherwise I wouldn't even bother with this, and I can't afford to go buy everything for a 250R brake assembly either. Any easy, cheap fix? Only thing I thought of was have a machinist cut a new groove in the axle for the snap ring closer to the brakes, so the anti-fade wouldn't have to go as far, but not sure if anyone in my area can do this. Please, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

86250rrider
12-22-2007, 07:14 PM
i know this is an old thread ...but make a 1/2 inch spacer to go between the brake hub and circlip. thats what came on my 250r axle that was used on a 400ex. you also need a 250r brake hub or at least the splined inner part as the spline count is different.:D

86250rrider
12-23-2007, 02:01 PM
let me correct myself.... the 3 piece i have is a 250x/300ex one.the 400ex 3 piece will work,but not the hubs.:D