PDA

View Full Version : Need advise about purchasing...

redhead
10-12-2002, 05:12 PM
I'm thinking about buying a used 2000 400EX (totally stock) but I don't know much about these machines. I'm woundering what I should look for (problem wise) the next time I go look at it.
I don't want to buy one that needs alot of work so I was hopping you guys could tell me what (if any) common problems the 400EX had, anything at all!!!! If I make the purchase I won't have any money left over for repairs, so I want to be prepaired to negotiate.

Thank you very much!

Pappy
10-12-2002, 05:55 PM
i dont belive any 400 ex's have reoccuring problems. just like any used quad...look for frame cracks near the foot pegs and front shock mounts. other then that...take it for a ride ...and if ya buy it....post a pic:)

suck my pipe
10-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Check and see if it will go into neutral easy if it dosent the clutch may be a lil beat! um make shure no shocks are blown out you'll know if you ride it, it will just feal funny. um oh check the chain and sprocket out just to see if they are all eat up and worn ot cause there not very cheap, and one more if your realy clueless to what i just said find sombody who knows bought quads cause thell walk all over you if you dont know whats up and post pics if you buy it !!!! :devil

redhead
10-12-2002, 09:52 PM
So even if it looks and runs good, are there any problems I should plan on having to deal with in the future? Internal engine problems, fluid leaks, suspention problems, transmission problems, ect. ect.?

Thanks again

Pappy
10-12-2002, 10:16 PM
no more then any other used quad.....

RED121572
10-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Heres my 2 cts.

If its absolutely stock and very clean, chances are it was purchased and ridin by someone that rode it once a month.

Pull out on the rear tires on a try to wiggle the rear axle. By doing those two things, youll insure that the axle bearings are in good shape.

Good luck man!