PDA

View Full Version : 450r creek version

chris46250r
04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I hate to even ask this cause I'm gonna get flamed but here goes. As you can see from the bottom I've got to dang many things to ride sitting in the garage. I have a 450r that I do not ride much anymore. Mainly because I dont like it, I'd rather ride the 250r. Heres the deal, the bunch of idiots that I ride with normally go to the creek on Sunday's. I take the 350x and have a blast but I'd rather be on something with a little more power. We get into some pretty deep water also. Heres my question, has anybody got their 450r with full exhaust and HRC cam to run good with the airbox lid on? I know its going to kill some of the power I just want it to run "right" I guess I should say. I will probally run some type of snorkel from the air box to up under the hood since the air intake is so low on it. I would rather have a 400ex but cant seem to find a buyer for the 450. If anyone has done this or something similar tell me about it.

400exrider707
04-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
I hate to even ask this cause I'm gonna get flamed but here goes. As you can see from the bottom I've got to dang many things to ride sitting in the garage. I have a 450r that I do not ride much anymore. Mainly because I dont like it, I'd rather ride the 250r. Heres the deal, the bunch of idiots that I ride with normally go to the creek on Sunday's. I take the 350x and have a blast but I'd rather be on something with a little more power. We get into some pretty deep water also. Heres my question, has anybody got their 450r with full exhaust and HRC cam to run good with the airbox lid on? I know its going to kill some of the power I just want it to run "right" I guess I should say. I will probally run some type of snorkel from the air box to up under the hood since the air intake is so low on it. I would rather have a 400ex but cant seem to find a buyer for the 450. If anyone has done this or something similar tell me about it.

It can certainly be made to run good like that, but you will have to mess with the jetting. What are you currently running for jetting. Why do you hate your 450R? You say the intake is low, but your re-routing it to under the hood? That probably wont even raise it up higher at all, and will just make less power. Sounds like you need a utility.

chris46250r
04-24-2007, 11:46 AM
I know I'll have to rejet, just wondering if anybody else has tried this to kinda give me a starting point on the jetting. Up under the hood is higher than straight out of the front of the airbox like the stock snorkel is. I DO NOT want to ride a utility. I've been riding a 250r four wheeler since 1986 and I just like the feel of it better than the 450.

400exrider707
04-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I know I'll have to rejet, just wondering if anybody else has tried this to kinda give me a starting point on the jetting. Up under the hood is higher than straight out of the front of the airbox like the stock snorkel is. I DO NOT want to ride a utility. I've been riding a 250r four wheeler since 1986 and I just like the feel of it better than the 450.

Well the 450R was designed to be at home on fast trails and the track to an extent, not going through water up to the handlebars. Full exhaust a cam and the lid on is a tough one, not many people are going to have that setup. I would try a 160 main to start with, move the needle clip down one position and maybe bump the pilot up one spot. I think this is still going to be rich all over, but its a starting point, and its safer to be rich. Also the intake is not straight out the air box, it comes up to the bottom of the gas tank. I would think that would be ideal, because if you put it under the hood its going to be hitting the water first, where under the seat you have a lot of splash prevention. Just a thought.

chris46250r
04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks, but it seems you are just guessing. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this or something similar. Splashing is not what I'm worried about. Have you ever ridden in deep water? I really dont care what the 450r was designed for. I'll design it to be what I want it to be. This has turned out to be exactly like I thought it would be. I wish that I would have never asked.

400exrider707
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks, but it seems you are just guessing. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this or something similar. Splashing is not what I'm worried about. Have you ever ridden in deep water? I really dont care what the 450r was designed for. I'll design it to be what I want it to be. This has turned out to be exactly like I thought it would be. I wish that I would have never asked.

Yes my jetting is a guess. No one on here can tell you exactly what it needs to be. I gave you an educated starting point, from what I have tested, as well as what others on here have tried, if you dont want to try it fine with me, just trying to help you out. Have I ridden in deep water? Not on my R, it only gets the track. I wasn't sure if the splashing was what you were concerned with, or if you were in fact riding in deep water. It wasn't clear, sorry. You can certainly rig something up to get the intake higher, are you going to do something to make the exhaust higher too? You could also adjust your suspension to make it sit at max ride height, and you could also slap on bigger tires.

TWILES
04-24-2007, 02:58 PM

I feel your pain. Chances are you won't make the 450R a creek bike no matter what. I bought one and hated it too untill I rode it where its ment to be ridden and it shined BUT those places are rare in western KY. The 450R's were designed to be opened up not closed off more than they are stock. However they aren't really any less "creek ready" than any other Honda. I'd say that if you wanted a sport quad to ride in a creek you'ed be better off with a Warrior.

chris46250r
04-25-2007, 05:18 AM
No Yammie's for me, I'd rather just swim down the creek.

chris46250r
04-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Yes my jetting is a guess. No one on here can tell you exactly what it needs to be. I gave you an educated starting point, from what I have tested, as well as what others on here have tried, if you dont want to try it fine with me, just trying to help you out. Have I ridden in deep water? Not on my R, it only gets the track. I wasn't sure if the splashing was what you were concerned with, or if you were in fact riding in deep water. It wasn't clear, sorry. You can certainly rig something up to get the intake higher, are you going to do something to make the exhaust higher too? You could also adjust your suspension to make it sit at max ride height, and you could also slap on bigger tires.

I wasn't wanting you or anyone else to tell me exactly how to jet it. I simply asked the question has anybody tried to get theirs to run with the lid on after having a cam and exhaust.

TWILES
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
You can get it to run fine with the lid on the airbox. If you have the HRC needle just drop your main jet untill it stops flooding out. Example, if you have a 180 in it with the lid off, you will probably be safe starting with a 170 ( I think ). The cam just lets a little more gas in and changes the cam "timing" from stock and the pipe just lets it out a little easier. Putting the lid on the airbox would dramaticlly change the amount of air going in so you would need to drop the main jet since it wouldn't have to compensate for the extra air. I don't know why you think it wouldn't run right.

chris46250r
04-25-2007, 08:50 AM
I just didnt know if it could get enough air with the lid on.

Jem450ER
04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
just to let you know i tried to re-route my intake too. I tried a 90 degree elbow over the hole with a new hose ran under my gas tank...didn't work, you can't, AT ALL! change the size of the stock hole in your lid or run a hose...All it did was kill the bike because it didn't have the air it needed. I could hear it sucking in air at 100 mph and it ran real ruff so i ripped it all off and she ran normal agian.

TWILES
04-25-2007, 09:06 AM
It will get plenty of air. Gas runs a motor, not the air. Taking the lid off just alows for more gas since more air can come it. You'll notice less power but it will run fine. I'm not engine builder and have know idea how much fuel it actually takes for one to run but I have seen some mean 250R's built up with the air so restricted that I don't see how they even ran but they would climb hills you could walk up in 3rd gear.

TWILES
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Jem450ER
just to let you know i tried to re-route my intake too. I tried a 90 degree elbow over the hole with a new hose ran under my gas tank...didn't work, you can't, AT ALL! change the size of the stock hole in your lid or run a hose...All it did was kill the bike because it didn't have the air it needed. I could hear it sucking in air at 100 mph and it ran real ruff so i ripped it all off and she ran normal agian.

The airbox's are totally different on the 06/07's compared to the 04's.

400exrider707
04-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
You can get it to run fine with the lid on the airbox. If you have the HRC needle just drop your main jet untill it stops flooding out. Example, if you have a 180 in it with the lid off, you will probably be safe starting with a 170 ( I think ). The cam just lets a little more gas in and changes the cam "timing" from stock and the pipe just lets it out a little easier. Putting the lid on the airbox would dramaticlly change the amount of air going in so you would need to drop the main jet since it wouldn't have to compensate for the extra air. I don't know why you think it wouldn't run right.

170 would still be way to rich with the lid on. Most R's with no mods other than taking the lid off go to a 165 main from the stock 118, so putting the lid on is going to require a much smaller main.

pro-rider46
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
165 will be way to rich on a stock bike with no lid
i tried a 160 and still to rich then i went to a 140 and it seems to be running ok but i have a exhaust leak right now and when i get a new gasket it might change a little but the 160 is way to big

400exrider707
04-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
165 will be way to rich on a stock bike with no lid
i tried a 160 and still to rich then i went to a 140 and it seems to be running ok but i have a exhaust leak right now and when i get a new gasket it might change a little but the 160 is way to big

Well that would probably be a first for anyone on this site, plus how the heck can you jet it with the header loose:rolleyes: It's going to be WAAAAY off, what did your plug look like? It seems to run ok? What does that mean?