View Full Version : new style EX plastics on an older EX

miles Machine
04-24-2007, 11:14 AM
how hard is it to put new style plastics on an older
ex??

THANX

medicdude
04-24-2007, 12:53 PM
one company on ebay has a kit to do it. includes headlight and everything.. like 400 something bucks though. personally i like the older ones better, the new ones look like a knockoff 450

Chin_Chilla
04-24-2007, 04:39 PM
It is an easy install. They use the same brackets and all. The only thing I'm not sure about is the lights, since I went with a scooped hood. Here is a pic of my 2002 400EX.

otsxo
04-24-2007, 05:10 PM
It's not hard. I bought the kit for my new used 400ex. It needed plastic anyway so I bought the kit listed on Ebay. For some unknown reason it doesn't include the tank side plastics. And you have to splice the wires for the headlight. Again, not hard at all. You can see some pictures of my rebuild here. Hopefully I'll finish it by the end of the week.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kotto25

miles Machine
04-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanx i dont plan on running the light tho so that will work out perfect for me

coryatver
04-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by otsxo
It's not hard. I bought the kit for my new used 400ex. It needed plastic anyway so I bought the kit listed on Ebay. For some unknown reason it doesn't include the tank side plastics. And you have to splice the wires for the headlight. Again, not hard at all. You can see some pictures of my rebuild here. Hopefully I'll finish it by the end of the week.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kotto25

Do you have to drill holes in the frame to mount the headlight? Also how did you splice the wires? My headlight has one plug but it is a female plug and It needs to be a male style to work with the old 400ex

coryatver
05-14-2007, 10:24 AM
can anyone help me out how you put the headlight on?

orangeEX
05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
get the headlight and make your own brackets or order the brackets off ebay... and wire your headlight to the old headlights plug its not hard to do just get the parts where you can see how it works and you'll figure it out
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pfccd6788b24f58ceaee8e3be5e96dfe5/e9840f3c.jpg

coryatver
05-14-2007, 03:04 PM
How does the bracket mount. What I want to know is if i have to drill holes in my frame. And I don't want to rig up some crap with my wire harness I want to do it the right way. Nice quad but do you have any pictures of like the headlight that actually can help me?

orangeEX
05-14-2007, 08:51 PM
"YOU HAVE TO REWIRE YOUR OLD PLUG TO YOUR NEW HEADLIGHT" thats not rigging up some "crap" . its called modifying. and no you don't drill holes you just need the stock 05-06 headlight bracket its not complicated!!! look at service honda microfiche and see how its mounted.

coryatver
05-15-2007, 08:25 AM
What is the best way to wire on the plug also can I buy that plug from somewhere so i don't have to cut up my old lights? OrangeEX have you actually done this or are you just guessing what to do? Becuase I found this picture somewhere and it looks like i will have to drill some holes. Also I have looked at the microfiche it doesn't show how it mounts to the old ex

otsxo
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Do you have to drill holes in the frame to mount the headlight? Also how did you splice the wires? My headlight has one plug but it is a female plug and It needs to be a male style to work with the old 400ex

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Yes, you have to drill a hole in the frame. It is really not a big deal at all. I spliced my wires with the male/female connectors. This means I can disconnect and reconnect whenever I want. Again not a big deal at all.

orangeEX
05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
sorry coryatver i didn't do the headlight but my buddy did and he made it sound like it bolted right up. but i was wrong you do have to drill a couple of holes but its no big deal.. but like i said before the best way to figure it out is get the parts and try it..
like my air scoops ,,no one has ever done it but i bought the carbon fiber scoops and fabricated the brackets..its not hard at all to do.

coryatver
05-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the help I just wanted to get a feel for what all needed done becuase I am not sure I want to cut wires and drill holes in my frame. I don't really know how to do that and I don't really have any tools for it. I want something that is reliable becuase i race xc and it will just fall apart or break. Thanks again

http://www.FullThrottleAssault.com/album_mod/upload/s50004322.jpg