PDA

View Full Version : Valve "ticking" and a possible cure for tic removal....

HMF/MOTOZ
04-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey 4 hund owners:

I just installed a big bore kit and hotcams stage 3 cam.
I also used: new cam tensioner, CRF450 timing chain, Kibblewhite valves, springs, new keepers, rockers, shafts, guides and seals.

Upon start up it "ticked" like a slant 6 Dodge 3 quarts low on oil.
I went through the required break in RPM and time like hotcams required...biting my lip and holding my ears the whole time.
Yes, I had top end oiling.

After reading many posts on here about the "tick" I just could not believe it should tick THAT loud.

I am versed on valve lash adjustment and engine building since 1974 so I think I have a handle on these things.
I used a Motion Pro angled valve lash gauge and set to hotcams specs.

Here is what I later found.
I removed the valve cover to check out things and everything seemed perfect plenty of oil, no shavings no wear marks.

Initially, I assembled the engine and installed the top motor/valve cover mount bolt, now my frame is slightly tweaked and this top bolt did not allign well with the frame holes then I did the valve lash.

THIS TIME I assembled the valve cover WITHOUT the top motor mount and set the valve lash EXACTLY the same as before.

I started it up and it purr'd like a kitten............NO TICK !!!

I then installed the top motor mount bolt/spacers.

POSSIBLY the top motor mount bolt was putting a lateral stress on the valve cover because of the tweaked frame and did not allow for the valves to be adjusted properly.

All I know is my 4 hund purrs like a well oiled machine now.........that "tic" from before was wrong and I was embarrased to even start it up.

Hope this helps

John@hmfengineering.com

underpowered
04-24-2007, 09:30 AM
thats great. i may have to give that a shot, because my 426 ticks like no other and i cannot track ti down. new valves, cam and rockers in good condition, new CRF chain and tensioner. i will try takin out the motor mount and adjsut the valves again.

JOEX
04-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Interesting.....

Hoping to hear from those who try this:)

sc400ex_rider
04-26-2007, 05:18 PM
sticky this

prnstr4life
04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I need to try this!!!! my hotcam is so loud u can hear over hmf!

Hondahoo2
04-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I didn't hear much of a tick on mine, but I decided to check them since I bought this machine used a couple months ago.
I was kind a surprised My Intakes were loose, about .006"-.007", and my exhaust were a little loose .006" (its stock, I think:rolleyes: )

joonjoon
04-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Just tore my top end off because my valves were pretty perfect. turns out my piston has sideways play. So do i wanna rip out the lower engine to fix this or just swap the motor with a 440? I have heard stories about the 440 blowing gaskets and what not.

sc400ex_rider
04-27-2007, 05:10 AM
i put a washer on the lose spacer and ground down the tight spacer but the bolt was still a b to get through. my hotcam tics at there specs so i went to the honda spec. i have yet to try this thou