PDA

View Full Version : Thumb vs. twist throttle

2old2race
04-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Coming from a dirtbike background the thumb throttle is all new to me.
I was thinking of ditching the thumb for a twist. But first, are there advantageous to the thumb throttle?

BTW, I just picked up my first quad last night. A 2002 400ex. Great condition, DG nerf bars, White Borthers pipe/muffler, jet kit, 1.5" rear spacers, MSR alum. bar w/pad, K&N filter= $2000.

A nice quad for a good price, I thought! :D

brokenmike
04-26-2007, 06:41 PM
It all depends what you perfer.I like a thumb throttle. Some like a twist and swear that thumb throttles are crap and some like a thumb throttle and swear that twist throttles are crap. My .02

byrdman37876
04-26-2007, 08:47 PM
mike said it best, what ever u like go with it. i am used to the thumb throtle but that is what i have mostly used.

my .02 cents

m.h.s.c.#527
04-28-2007, 08:46 PM
no way if u steer left the thing will go flying ino a tree

2old2race
04-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
no way if u steer left the thing will go flying ino a tree

:confused:
I'm lost by this.
I just ordered a twist throttle. I just don't like the feeling of using my thumb to control the speed of a bike.
Plus, revving the quad with my thumb just for some reason doesn't seem :macho .

:D

TXATVRIDER
05-05-2007, 01:50 AM
He's trying to say for instance if your front tires get slung to the left real fast maybe cause by a tree limb or a bump that while holding on to your twist throttle it may increase the chances of pulling the throttle more and slinging you in a direction that you weren't intended on going for example maybe in a tree.

Dirt Bikes don't have as much turning radious as a atv does. Your also closer to the handlebars on a Dirt Bike than you would on a ATV.

I've just always liked the thumb throttle though in my opinion.

TWISTED DINLI
05-05-2007, 07:42 PM
IMO thumb throttle is best.

TWILES
05-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I tried a twist on one of my atv's but I didn't like it then. I've had a bike for about 2 years and learned to use a twist on a 05 WR450 and thanks to it being so corked up at first I learned how before I opened it up. My problem with a twist throttle on a quad is that they jerk around like nothing comparable to a bike + you have to adjust your riding style a little since you can't count totally on your hands keeping you on the bike. I've always used the handle bars as a little leverage but with the twist I can't get the same throttle control since I have to twist and grip at the same time. The bikes alow you to move around it so to speak and a quad moves around whether you are ready or not. There are a few Pro's who use twist throttles and the fastest two guys I have ever seen on an MX track in my life used them on Banshee's. It really is personal and I had never even ridden a bike before I got the WR so whatever you think. I will probably put one on my next quad if I ever get another one. It does have a lot more natural of a feel than the thumb.

2old2race
05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
The more I ride, the more I can understand you guys. :o

It is a bit harder to hold onto the right grip being it rotates.

However, for me personally riding a cruiser and growing up on dirtbikes, I get so much more of a feel out of a twist than through my thumb. ;)