PDA

View Full Version : 1st Oil Change

cybervex
04-24-2007, 07:33 AM
I have about 2 hours on my new LTR450 and planning on doing my first oil change. So a bit soon but a friend wait the full 10 hours and said there was a lot of crap in the oil and wished he would have changed after 2 or 3 hours.

So I have decided to change now. I have some questions.

1) Should I switch to synthetic now or wait a little longer?

2) Which brand of synthetic is best?

3) Which brand of NON synthetic is best?

4) Which oil filter is best?

Many thanx in advance

asjr39
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I would really wait on the synthetic until you get around 10-12 hours on the bike. I was told once you use synthetic you will always have too use synthetic oil. I buy the standard oil filter for around $5.00. In dusty races I will usually change it before my next race depending how dusty it was. i use ams-oil full synthetic

danLTR450
04-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I've gone from stock oil to full synt. and then back to reg. oil. You can switch back anytime you'd like. I've run everything from full to non in all my bikes and NEVER had a problem.

I've been runnin non synt. for prob 50hours after I stopped using full and haven't had a single problem. I change my oil every 5-6 hours so I felt full synt. wasn't needed.

After 5-6 hours of dunes and trails the oil is just as clean as it went in. I'm thinking of goin up to 8hr in between now.

I'd wait a little longer before changin it to full synt. though. But thats just me.

Rekd
04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree. Change it now but don't go synth yet.