PDA

View Full Version : Scoops pattern

lilhouskey
04-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Hey its my first post but i read a lot of the threads for info, anyway i saw this pattern for scoops and drew it up on autoCAD the pdf is actual size so it can be used as a pattern and decided to post it so maybe it will help someone. if someone can confirm the fitment of these that would be great cuz i dont have my quad accessable to measure. thanks

link-----> http://rapidshare.com/files/27616064/scoops2fix-Model.pdf

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/lilhouskey/scoop.jpg

oldschool73
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
anyone know if this works?

Carter
04-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Will try as soon as I find a suitable material to cut out of.

ninja
04-26-2007, 08:51 PM
What way does each bend go, angle? This is cool if you have access to brake and sheer!!

oldschool73
04-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm not very computer literate , I'm trying to figure out how to print it on my printer by splitting the image up unto 4 seperate pages. Any ideas?

Carter
04-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Use Acrobat, and turn off the image scaling, then set your pages how you need them, and turn on the cut lines.

lilhouskey
04-27-2007, 05:01 PM
this is the original plans that i found on here, they show all the bends and stuff
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/lilhouskey/400exscoopdrawing.jpg

Old Head
04-28-2007, 03:23 AM
with that hole being there it looks like a tinner scoop but if you need a cheap material to make trial runs use aluminum flashing, you can buy it at home depot

blasterandy
04-28-2007, 06:40 AM
y not just use card board...(for a test run of it)I would make it from daimond plating.

oldschool73
04-28-2007, 10:05 AM
No this pattern doesn't work! The bottom of the shroud , the measurements are all screwed up. Try again lilhouskey
I think somewhere around the 5-1/2 in mark on the bottom of the original diagram is where the problem is . when a pattern is made there is no where to mount the bottm of shroud something is messed up in that area.

lilhouskey
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
ok well im at home with my quad now so i will work out all the bugs

oldschool73
05-03-2007, 07:52 PM
I got it to work with a little modifications, I'll try to explain (bear with me)
On the bottom of the pattern where the small hole is . I assumed this would mount to the a-arm bolt. there needs to be a bend to turn it down to mount it here, at least that is what I did. also I added about an 1-1/2 to this length on my initial cut of the pattern allowing me to trim it later to desired length. on the top (the narrow skinny bent part I mounted this to the frame , there is already a hole up there so I drilled a hole in the scoop and mounted it there. I also added 1-1/4 to the length of this to make the mounting area more beefy)
By adding to these lengths it allows you to trim it later to make that custom fit.
Also the larger hole I would drill last . It allows you to kind of line up where it goes . I had to move it towards the top of the scoop by about 1/2" but this depends on how you mount it on the quad.
All in all lilhouskey you did a great job it definately got me going in the right direction.
Sorry if my last post sounded a little pissy thats just how talk.
Kudos to you and with this pattern with a little modifications and some patience it will work.
I had a friend give me some aluminum diamond plate and bent these up and installed them in about an hour.
A total cost to me was $2.11 and that was what it cost to get the pdf printed out a full size at a copy center.

blasterandy
05-03-2007, 07:52 PM
cool post what you get. so i can do it :D

oldschool73
05-03-2007, 08:01 PM
If you want a cheap brake to bend your scoops in mount two bench vises to a bench or large beam then find some 2x2 angle iron and mount them to form a T shape in the two vises. put your aluminum between the two angle irons and bend away, a rubber mallets helps also.
Also wear gloves when bending, this stuff is sharp when cut.
Aluminum sheeting can be cut quite well with a circular saw as long as it has a CARBIDE TIPPED BLADE.
Be sure to cover the face plate of the saw with masking tape or it will scratch the soft aluminum surface.