PDA

View Full Version : Start up after sitting for a year

TBrunk
04-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a 400ex that I will be starting up soon. I have not started the quad in over a year. I was just wondering if there was anything special I should do or be concerned with before starting it up?

I plan on taking the tank off and draining the gas out of it, and then replacing it. Also, planned on changing the oil (know it has nothing to do with it sitting, but I needed to do it anyways). I also have to get a new battery. Let me know if there should be any other stuff?

Thanks

400exracer511
04-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I would probably take the carb off and clean out the bowl and jets, fuel can caramelize in there and cause problems.

JW450R1
04-24-2007, 05:02 AM
you may be able to slow charge that battery.It might hold the charge.I would take off the carb and clean the bowl,jets,and the tank too.

2002Honda400ex
04-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Just spray carb cleaner in every hole on the carb and let dry. It does magic:D

BossmanEX
04-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Just me but I while I had my tank and carb off, I pulled one of the valve adjustment caps and poured a little oil in from the top to get things lubed before starting it.

TBrunk
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
alrighty guys I appreciate the help, I think i will go ahead and hook up the battery to a charger and let it get going, if it ends up being bad, then i wil just have to get another one.... Thanks

bsent
04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
i also just recently started my quad after letting it sit for a year. i cleaned the carb and jets and all that stuff. but i seem to be having problems with the valve on the gas tank. it won't run on the gas on postion only on the reserve position. i think the valve might be a little gummed up or something.