PDA

View Full Version : shift fork

enantrx
04-23-2007, 06:28 PM
hey guys..i def. need some help w/the shift forks/drum. I split my bottom end this winter to replace some gears. I finally got my cases together but for some reason it will not shift correctly. I 'thought" it shifted fine before i bolted everything together..but i was obviously wrong. Just wondering if there is a certain way/position to mesh the forks into the drum and also if theres a certain way to install the "center" piece along w/the drum stopper. I need to get this together before i start racing in a few weeks. Also want to know any other tips or tricks you guys use to get your bottom end together...thanks a lot

junglerunna
04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I just put my bottom end together this weekend due to poor workmanship by who ever was in the engine last.

The answer to your question is yes, everything will pretty go together one way for it to be correct.

Are your cases still split and your trying to check for smooth operation of the bottom end?

enantrx
04-23-2007, 09:08 PM
my whole bottom end is completely assembled and what a mistake that was. Another thing....i rotated the "center" piece then put the drum stopper back on..and it seemed as tho my shifting was reversed....shifting up seemed to go into a lower gear. I am 95 percent positive i put the whole bottom end together correctly becuz everything messed together properly...i just dont know if i was suppose to install the drum rotated at a certain position or what. Im completely stumped

chawness
04-24-2007, 07:18 AM
If you don't already have one, go by a shop manual for the 250R. There are detailed illustrations of the transmission and assembly. I have rebuilt two different 250R bottom ends using the manual without a problem. Also, if assembled correctly you should be able to shift through all six gears before bolting the case half's together...