PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem little help plz?

wilburx3
04-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I got a 400ex that I broke the clutch cable 2 weeks ago. Before it broke I noticed that it was getting hard to pull then finally it broke. So I ordered a new one and got it put on. Got it adjusted out where it would work correctly and started riding it. Seems like it is harder to pull than usual. After riding it for a few mins the cable seems to have stretched or something isnt workin right. So I adjust it out some more and the same thing happens again. It works for a few mins then quits working again. Now I am adjusted all the way out on both ends of the cable and it done the same thing. Was looking for a little input from some of you guys who know more about this than I do. What it is that is causing my problem and what I need to do to fix it?I would appreciate any help I can get thanks.

n811
04-23-2007, 06:10 PM
You need to explain how it broke. Did if frey out at the clutch perch? Bending in some spot? Is it wrapped funny at the steering stem? These things dont just break they get broken. You need to look at what is binding it up. Even if its the clutch needing new plates and fibers it will just not work well. If its hard to pull it would have to be like a thousand pounds for it to break under tension. something must be bound up?

RiderTRX400ex
04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
odd problem, make sure your clutch cable isnt rubbing on your headers! all i can think of is worn out springs or plates? you got enough oil? take off the cover and inspect the basket and hub, look for wear on the basket

wilburx3
04-23-2007, 09:09 PM
On the cable that broke I checked it before I took it off and the bend in it that makes it turn in front of the head wasnt quite angled right but I dont think thats what caused it to break. On the new one I just installed I have unhooked the end that attaches to the clutch rod that goes into the case to see if there is any sticking. There isnt it slides back and forth without any hitches or sticking spots. So I assumed my problem was in the actual clutch. So I took it apart to see if maybe a tooth had broken off and maybe got wedged in there or something that looks broken and didnt find anything. But I havent ever had any clutch issues on anything I have ever owned so I dont know how to tell if the plates, fibers, or springs are wore out. I figure thats my problem but wanted to get a little insight from people who know more about it than me before I start just buying and changing parts out. Thinking of just buying an entire Hinson system but wanted to make sure that would fix it before I spend $1000 on it.

wilburx3
04-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Anyone got any info they could tell me what I might need to do? I would apreciate any help