PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman blowin' out the headlights !!!

Meat
04-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey guys, i have a buddy who's riding a 500 sportsman and he's having trouble with his headlight bulbs blowing out after only a few hours.

He tells me the first thing he did was buy a new voltage regulator, but with the new regulator installed it blew out another set of bulbs this past weekend. Aproxx 2 hours of run time on this last set of bulbs.

He tells me he's gettin about 14 volts on his multimeter.

any ideas ???

thanks

-denny

tim colston
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
check the relay under the hood.

Meat
04-25-2007, 02:52 PM
thanks for the reply tim. We're gonna work on it tomorrow, we'll find that relay. His sportsman is a '99 model. Your sayin this relay is "under the hood" somewhere. Could you give me a lil more detail on the location of the relay and what it looks like. Any and all help is appreciated.

-denny:)

tim colston
04-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Go to bikebandit . com and look at the schematics. The relay will be gold and square in shape. that website should help you. Check for an exposed wire or dead short.

Mav_KFX400
06-08-2007, 08:55 PM
i don't really have any advice but i do have a good story on polaris head lights.
it was about a year ago and i hadn't gotten my KFX yet so i was still riding my 02 sportsman 700. my friend had just bought a Z400 so i was trying to keep up with him and he hit his jump in the front yard and i went off it right after him at about 45 mph (way to fast) when the quad landed it bounced up so hard that the tires left the ground again. We took a break right after that and i left my 4wheeler running with the high beams on and after like a min i asked my friend "do u smell something burning?" he said "yea".
I then glanced over at the 700 and there was smoke roleing off the head light so i ran over and turned it off. It turned out that that jump had knocked the head light out of the houseing so it was just hanging down onto the plastic and after a lil bit it started to burn. we disconected it the next day.