PDA

View Full Version : CVT Tranny Bearing Upgrade

BradLoomis
04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't know how all of the finger pointing and he said/she said stuff gets going and gets deleted... but here is the tranny bearing that was talked about in the "fastest motor" post. I presented it to Billy about a year or so ago and to Shane a few monthes ago. I have told quite a few people on here about it... but I never fomally posted it along with my testing because I didn't want it to get into a my shop/builder can beat up you shop/builder post.

The bearing comes from Slovakia: INA NK 25/16
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/X-Stream_Composites/Loomis%20Racing/IMG_1508.jpg
I have been running them now for over a year and a half. You don't need to modify anything in the cases. You also don't have to reinforce the cases anymore.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/X-Stream_Composites/Loomis%20Racing/IMG_1507.jpg
It has a thick hardened steel outer race(leftside of picture) -vs- the stamped steel band (rightside of picture)that comes on the standard bearing,that allows the bearing race to flex inturn puts all of its' force into the casing that then cracks. This allows the output shaft to move which then cracks the teeth upon the hit of the throttle and misaligned teeth.

We first designed and built an outer sprocket holder that actually had a bearing on the very outside of the sprocket. This worked well but wasn't very user friendly. Then I tired the bushing insert out of brass and then aluminized bronze. These also worked well but robbed a little horsepower on the topend fastest speed because of hydraulicing of the gear oil between the shaft and the bushing. Use a thin oil to reduce hydraulicing and then there is no cusion between the gears. Thicker gearlube for cusioning and you get no lube or hydraulicing at high speed.
Now this is the only probelm that we are having.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/X-Stream_Composites/Loomis%20Racing/IMG_1524.jpg
I have always tried to help people the same as Billy Holt has and Shane also has. So hopefully this can help other parents fix some other problems on these bikes.
But remember... Tranny Saver, Tranny Bushing, Cryogenic Gears, INA Bearing... These motors were/are designed for mopeds. When you push things to the limits that these can be... things are going to break. That is why WRH and Wolfpack are hopefully trying to stay one step ahead of us weekend warriors and setting the standard for all of us to purchase the best products that all of the mini world has to offer. If I can help anymore don't hesitate to ask.

wvspeedfreak
04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Excellent info as always Brad.I know you have helped me a ton on here!!

WOLFPACK
04-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks Brad! You shared the info with us and we wanted to pass it onto others.

Wow! Your not just building carbon fiber tie rods, now i see your building steering stems as well? I'll need one for the Polaris!

Shane

77racerdad
04-24-2007, 10:51 AM
thank you bradloomis. now where can you get them. maybe at the local bearing shop or napa.. would you still use the outer bracket / motor mount or go with one of tranny saver out side too. iam tring help some that just got new ---- 90 mx. two riders are not aggr, riders they have lost 3 sets apic. u should see the look on their face . that not fun for them.i will let them know this might help

BradLoomis
04-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I get mine through a company called "Motion Industries" but just about any bearing company should be able to get it. As far as the Tranny Saver... I don't use it now... but I always think that anything that helps a situation should be used. But I also went back to the Polaris / DRR style gears because I can get more teeth options plus I can shim them to center with the back sprocket perfectly.

#404's Dad
09-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Which bearing are we talking about here, sorry I am kinda lost I guess.

Thanks, Corey

WOLFPACK
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
INA 25/16 is the bearing. Thats it in the picture Brad posted. It's the small green box bottom center. We have since went to a different bearing but it requires the cases to be machined. Every new Apex we sold got the 25/16 upgrade because of the weaker cases they have. It is a direct replacement for the stock bearing.

#404's Dad
09-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by WOLFPACK
INA 25/16 is the bearing. Thats it in the picture Brad posted. It's the small green box bottom center. We have since went to a different bearing but it requires the cases to be machined. Every new Apex we sold got the 25/16 upgrade because of the weaker cases they have. It is a direct replacement for the stock bearing.

Ok cool, where does the bearing go, is it the one on the shaft in the removable cover or the one the sprocket shaft goes through?

Thanks again, Corey

WOLFPACK
09-13-2008, 02:15 PM
It is the one on the inside of the case. The one the big gear inside the tranny cover rides on.

#404's Dad
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Those pics were not there before, were they? Thought it was a pic of a parts box full of bearing and gears. I may be going nuts thought too lol.

Thanks for the info and pics BradLoomis.

EDIT: I found a place that sells these for $19.22 each but how do I know the bearing I will get is the one with solid race?

WOLFPACK
09-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Call Gwen at 219-972-2020. Only talk to Gwen because she knows whats going on with this bearing. The price is much cheaper as well. Just give her the part INA NK25/16.

#404's Dad
09-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by WOLFPACK
Call Gwen at 219-972-2020. Only talk to Gwen because she knows whats going on with this bearing. The price is much cheaper as well. Just give her the part INA NK25/16.

Ok thanks man.