View Full Version : How to Block the Hotstart on a 450r carb

wrobben
04-23-2007, 09:43 AM
this is how i blocked the hotstart on my 450r carb

materials,
1- metric size 12 bolt with 1.25 pitch
a hacksaw
some teflon thread tape

ok all u need to do is put the bolt in a vise, cut it shorter with the hacksaw so it will fit good in the hot start hole.

then grab the tape, and go around the bolt 3-4 times

then simply put the bolt in the hotstart, u dont have to tighten it down that tight it wont go anywhere and will not leak.

well there u go a good way to block off a hotstart, this way is much better then using silicon.

Also make sure u are using a 1.25 pitch bolt its a fine thread the other size pitch bolts will not work.

sc400ex_rider
03-22-2009, 06:58 AM
what i did was to tap the little hole on the engine side of the carb behind the throttle plate and inserted and loctighted a little allen wrench set screw to block off the port so absolutely no air could pass through it. this is very delicate work but most effective as i didnt have the hot start plunger. i then put a 1/4" or 3/8" vacuum line cap in the plunger hole to keep the dirt out. some people would just fill it with silicon but if any air bleeds past it will cause hi idle even with the idle screw backed all the way out.

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I used the RTV method, I first filled the little hole on the top side of the intake port, Then I filled inside the hot start thuroughly, even getting in the other tiny hole inside the hotstart area, then I filled it till it overflowed a little bit, wiped it clean let it dry and never had a single issue with it...

Most everyone I run into argues with me saying you need all the hotstart assembly or it will leak and have jetting issues.... they just do not get the concept of what you are doing when blocking off the hot start....they feel as if its some magical piece that without it youll never run right.... but if they really looked into it they would realize that no matter how you decide to do it.... all your doing is blocking it off...I like how these guys above this post did theirs very creative and skilled...

If you can, save the money, dont go out of your way to buy the hotstart it can be from 15 to 30 bucks.... I used 1/8th, of a $3 dollar tube of RTV installed and was riding out the next day...

There are three, different holes to fill for the hotstart...