PDA

View Full Version : pulled up old linoleum

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
well i plan on retileing my floor and i pulled up the old linoleum its the kind that is one big sheet and was just wonderng how to get hte left over glue and im guessing paper stuff haha no clue (its grey) off the floor? its ona ply would floor

JOEX
04-22-2007, 08:58 PM
You can scrape it up which isn't much fun or do what i've done and get out the circular saw cut out the underlayment and put down some new. I've heard some of the older Linolium type stuff may have asbesteos in it so you may want to look into that.

Are you putting in vinyl or ceramic type tile?

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 09:03 PM
well i was hoping it didnt have asbestos in it but the flooring is is verrryy great shap to replace ive tried using a flat headed shovel and no go haha gonnna be hear all year redoing the kitchen floor which isnt big at all vinyle tiles 2 cheap for ceramic

JOEX
04-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
well i was hoping it didnt have asbestos in it but the flooring is is verrryy great shap to replace ive tried using a flat headed shovel and no go haha gonnna be hear all year redoing the kitchen floor which isnt big at all vinyle tiles 2 cheap for ceramic
Well, the flooring isn't that great if you have a bunch of adhesive stuck to it lol:p unless it's hardwood or something else attractive but if you're going to cover it with tile it doesn't matter.

If the base cabinets are still inplace then cutting out the floor may be a bit more challenging but still doable.

Wood is fairly cheap right now, at least out this way...

tat
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
The floor you just removed prob had asbestos in it, but this type is non-friable: meaning that the particles of asbestos dont float around in the air when damaged. Best way to get the remains off the floor is with a 6in razor scraper or a floor tile bar with the replacable blades on it. i work with asbestos everyday and have done a lot of floors. So far thats the easiest and cheapest way we have found to do it.

ZeroLogic
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
My dad and I recently replaced our bathrooms and kitchen floors which had the same crap as you did. The wood underneth was warped to hell so we just tore it all up down to the ply wood. We then installed this floor board that looked like cement with plastic wire to hold it together. Then we just installed the tile ontop of that. But like JOEX said take a circular saw and make the depth to 1/2 inch I believe it was. Just make cuts right down it to tear it up. It was a b!tch to do though.

Hope this helps...

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
that dont sound like fun at all :-/

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
i could stick hard wood over that crappy stuff cant i?

ZeroLogic
04-22-2007, 09:27 PM

Not comming from a professional but if its the boards under the linoleum is warped or have bumps you can't I believe.

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 09:28 PM
ya thats crap just wish i woulda left the ugly stuff n their

ZeroLogic
04-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Its worth the work after. Trust me.:o

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
ya i know it just sucks cus imma be busy all week so i can go to birch
but yall know the stuff im talkin about its grey i think its the old adhesive with parts he the old linoleum bottom on it?

JOEX
04-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Its worth the work after. Trust me.:o
I agree...... Cut the floor and replace it if you don't have the time to chip away the old stuff.

This depends on how your flooring and framing is. I'm no expert either though:p

Usually there's the framing, the sub floor, the underlayment, then the finished flooring unless it's hardwood.

If you want to put hardwood over the current floor then most likely it wont be level with the surrounding floors.

JOEX
04-22-2007, 09:59 PM
After removing the first layer...

JOEX
04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Removed the underlayment...

JOEX
04-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Installed OSB board and inexpensive laminate floor...

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 10:04 PM
nicee ithink i may go get the fake hard wood stuff liek that its what the hole house is in expect the living room and dinning is reall hard wood

awsomeaussies
04-22-2007, 10:07 PM
You can rent a scraper or another idea is a belt sander;)

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 10:07 PM
it seems to hold up better then the real stuff our floor is scratched pretty bad in some spots and i like the laminate stuff cus its really hard to scratch haha i was ridin my bike on it the other day power slidin lol

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 10:08 PM
ya a belt sander came in mind when we started to remove that junk

JOEX
04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
If you have real hardwood in adjoining areas i'd discourage you from installing the 'fake' stuff. There is no comparison and the difference is very noticable, at least in the lesser expensive stuff.

I prefer sheet vinyl over vinyl tiles too.

JJs450r
04-22-2007, 10:14 PM
i mean we already have the fake laminate in all the room expect the living room and dining room so i dont think it would be 2 bad to put the laminate down in the kitch we dont have a very big kitchen and we have 3 dogs and id rather put that down the n real so it dont get scratched to mess but ya i know what u mean but nothing joins the hard would is seperated by stops or what ever you wanna call them

JOEX
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
i mean we already have the fake laminate in all the room expect the living room and dining room so i dont think it would be 2 bad to put the laminate down in the kitch we dont have a very big kitchen and we have 3 dogs and id rather put that down the n real so it dont get scratched to mess but ya i know what u mean but nothing joins the hard would is seperated by stops or what ever you wanna call them
From a functional point of view, which is what I base alot of my decisions on, laminate flooring is a good option. But since flooring is somewhat permanent the visual side comes into play, especially if the floors merge into each other.

If a person is able to see both floors at the same time the difference will stand out like a sore thumb and appear to be a patch work so IMO it's better to make one area a different style than the other.

JOEX
04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Laminate to tile...

armoks
04-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Installed OSB board and inexpensive laminate floor...

AGGG there's an ORB there must be haunted!!! LMAO Just had to mess with ya:devil:

Looks good man!!!

250rAL
04-23-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm going to be in that boat shortly. I've heard that the pros put new linoleum right over the old but I don't like that idea. I've thought of renting a floor sander. That would make short work of the linoleum and leave a smooth surface for the new stuff. Pulling up the old underlayment wouldn't be much fun. They used a LOT of long staples to hold it down.

clutt225
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I have been in this bizz all my life and own my own company doing insurance restoration.
Follow Joex he has done a very nice job and has done it right.
Any other way is cobling. tear up the old uderlay and replace.
the staples for the new underlay should be 2" on centre around the out side and 4" centres on the inside of the sheet.
laminate is O.K. in a kitchen as long as it dose not get wet.
linoleom is the best if you don't want to pay for ceramic.

just my pro 2cents

harescrambles
04-23-2007, 07:52 PM
If you have underpayment down pull it up and replace it. or you will have to scrape up the old vinyl/linoleum and paper and then patch the bad places that the scraping caused. then put down the vinyl squares, That would be the cheapest way. if it were me i would go over what is down now with Luan, it's a 1/4 inch sub-floor and has a good guarantee. then go with a good vinyl sheet good. Ceramic , porcelain, etc tiles are a great product and can last forever but grout will stain and wood will swell when it gets wet.

side note,,,if it is gray like said then it is not asbestos. there are places that will test it for you though if your not 100% sure, just need to take them a small piece to test.

JJs450r
04-24-2007, 06:05 AM
ya its the grey stuff thanks for all the input and help i think im just gonna go with the laminate floor seeing how i have 3 dogs and i aint got much of a kitchen to cover so im only lookin at about 80 to 100 for the floor