PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust suspension

450rRacer22
04-22-2007, 08:27 PM
hey guys i have PEP NARC shocks and i hear about people adjusting there ride height and there preload all the time. how exactly do you do this and how does it help you? i rode my buddies yfz and his elkas felt softer than my PEP's so i was just wondering if this has anything to do with it. i have them on the 5th click both front and rear. this is my first set of aftermarket shocks so im pretty new to all this. any help would be appreciated, thanks

IMSROLL450R
04-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Im pretty sure the only use of preload is basically to adjust your ride height. Obviously the tighter you have it set the higher its going to ride and the stiffer it may be. I think most people usually have their front ends set at anywhere from 6" to 8" from the frame to ground between the a arms. Dunno if that helps. Good luck.

400exrider707
04-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Im pretty sure the only use of preload is basically to adjust your ride height. Obviously the tighter you have it set the higher its going to ride and the stiffer it may be. I think most people usually have their front ends set at anywhere from 6" to 8" from the frame to ground between the a arms. Dunno if that helps. Good luck.

Kind of right...

Preload is mainly for ride height yes, your compression adjustment is for stiffness of the shock, and your rebound is how fast the shock travels back to its original position. You do not measure between the a-arms for ride height. Front end should be measured where the frame is flat, right behind the arms, before they make their rake. Your rear is measured under the footpegs. Front should sit 1/4 to 1/2 in higher than rear with rider on it. Ride height numbers will depend on the type of riding you are doing. What do you have for a rear shock?

450rRacer22
04-23-2007, 06:13 AM
i have a PEP rear shock, the rear is rebound adjustable.

450rRacer22
04-24-2007, 08:26 PM
anybody else...?