PDA

View Full Version : 3RD gears bad what do I do know?

Sick0
10-12-2002, 11:26 AM
3RD GEARS WENT BAD. Whats do I have to buy to fix the problem and where do I get them. Also has anybody has had this problem? I have had the problem since I've own the quad back 16 months ago.

Sick0
10-12-2002, 12:33 PM
bump

tants
10-12-2002, 12:37 PM
whats the problem, it doesnt shift into 3rd? i say bring it back to your honda dealer, you under warrenty?

Sick0
10-12-2002, 12:54 PM
No it goes into 3rd but it grinds. It move in third but kinda of slips and makes a grinding sound. Its only happens in third and it bare was notice able when I bought it brand new. At first it I only had troble getting it into 3rd, then it started to slip more and more until it barely moves in third. Its not the clutch and it don't slip like a clutch would slip. Its only happes in thrid.

The warrenty has ran a long time ago. I just don't know where to get the parts to fix the problem or whats part I should replace to fix it.

I'm kinda happen I found out I why I keep missing 3rd when in races I thought it was me. This problem has been giving me problems all season at all most every race I been to. I would have move in class if I didn't have this problem. So I can't wait to get this solved.

Sick0
10-12-2002, 01:47 PM
bump any body. I need help .

NTPRacing#19
10-12-2002, 02:04 PM
yo sick your gonna have to pull the transmission out and check all the gears! the junk from 3rd gear may have chewed up the rest of your tranny. you might have to order new gears from service honda or your nearest dealer.

Sick0
10-13-2002, 08:06 AM
bump

^_250EXers_^
10-13-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Nasty250r
whats the problem, it doesnt shift into 3rd? i say bring it back to your honda dealer, you under warrenty?

i'd say just bring it back to your local honda dealer, pay for the parts, and for the maintenance fee. it's betta than not ridin a half decent working bike for a while!

Sick0
10-13-2002, 08:18 AM
Its past its warrenty by like 9 months, even though it started when it was in warrenty. I have no way to prove it was going bad and the place I bought the bike suck.

Sick0
10-13-2002, 10:20 AM
Where can I get inform on the net about rebuilt kits for the tranny.

mxracer111
10-13-2002, 12:21 PM
ive seen this problem a lot....usually thrid gear pops out when under a load into a false neutral. it puts extra pressure on the shift forks and they usually get messed up too. im my trans. 3rd just went and i am replacing all gears, washers, spacers, shafts, everything in there.....its real expensive, about 1200 for just bottom end parts. i am also getting all of the parts cryotherm coated to harden them. Talk to Dean a Fastway about this process, he is helping me out with mine to make the strongest gearbox i can.

methyman
10-13-2002, 12:27 PM
I was lucky cause I ride my bike everyday, if I didn't the transmision would have blown up alot later when it was out of warranty. The transmission blew up so bad that the engine cases needed to be replaced and all gears also. Good luck with your transmission problem and I hope everything isn't blown up like mine was.

10-13-2002, 12:29 PM
if you brought it to the dealer you will get rapped by them. they'll charge your @$$ outta anything they think doesn't look right to them. DO NOT ride it anymore
look at hte gear and if u can order a new one

Wheelie
10-13-2002, 01:34 PM
I lost thirt gear back in August.......symptoms are the same as what you're describing.

Later this year I'm removing/tearing down the motor to inspect and fix the problem. I'm also toying with the idea of building a stroker since the case will already be split.

Good luck w/ your machine.

Sick0
10-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Yeah I'm going to completely built the motor. New cam, piston, port and polishing and every things.
I don't think I'm going to replace every gear. but I'm going to have to tear it down to find What I have to.

Are you buyimg all stocks gears or after market gears.

EX 80
10-13-2002, 05:30 PM
I think they buy all stock gears, i have never heard of after market gears.

Wheelie
10-13-2002, 08:42 PM
SickO--

I parked my quad shortly after I lost 3rd and haven't rode it since to hopefully prevent further damage. If everything else looks good in the tranny, only the parts necessary to repair 3rd will be replaced with Honda OEM parts.

Crowdog
10-14-2002, 12:02 AM
I've been popping out of third under heavy load too. Wondering what was going on. I was hoping it was just the clutch.

Most of the time it seems to pop into neutral or maybe as someone else decribed, false neutral.

Can someone describe what is actually broken?

I have a 416. Only 9 months old.

Thanks,

Jon

Guy400
10-14-2002, 04:14 AM
Well, you guys are lucky that I owned a 2001 Raptor;) I know about tranny issues all too well. What all of you are describing is exactly the problem the '01 Raptors had with 2nd gear. The grinding going into gear and then popping out when under a load is most likely caused by the dogs on the side of the gear being stripped. You could quite possibly have a bent shift fork as well. When the dogs start to get rounded off they don't engage the gear next to it very well and that's the grinding you're hearing. Under a load the gear's popping out because the rounded dogs don't have the same holding power as the good, slightly undercut dogs. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do but split the cases and start a visual inspection of your tranny. And like someone already mentioned, if you find a dog completely broken off than there's a good chance it got shipped off into another part of the motor causing damage someplace else (like the plastic pump gear on the Raptor's :rolleyes: ).

*Stepping up onto soapbox* I know some guys swear by this practice and I'm certainly not blaming you guys of this but, ALWAYS use your clutch when shifting!! I don't about you guys but I don't have any sponsors that pay me to win races so it's just not worth risking my transmission just to be a 1/4 of a second faster per shift. Be diligent with the clutch cable adjustment and use the clutch when shifting. For those of you just beginning to experience this problem, more times than not it is not operator error. Keep the clutch cable adjusted to within spec and if it's grinding between shifts or popping out of gear just stop riding it and split the cases.

Sick0
10-14-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I know in my case its wasn't from not using the clutch. My problem happen before I even ran the quad hard and I always used the clutch. This the problem I had with my 400ex that wasn't from adbuse.

I'm going to start tearing it down today.

Wheelie
10-15-2002, 09:25 AM
I use the clutch less than half of the time.........:huh

1FAST400
10-15-2002, 08:59 PM
I HAVE A COMPLETE SET OF TRANNY GEARS FOR SALE WITH EXCEPTION OF A THIRD GEAR. THEY ALL ARE BRAND NEW IN THE PLASTIC. IF YOU ARE INTERESED, I'LL TAKE 250.00 SHIPPED TO YOU. THESE PARTS WOULD COST YOU OVER $800.00 AT THE DEALERSHIP.
THANKS,
Mark

mxracer111
10-16-2002, 08:04 PM
mark, i am interested in buying these gears from you. can you email me a list of the part #'s that you are selling. i just want to double check to make sure it is what i need. thanks a lot. mxracer111@aol.com

Sick0
10-16-2002, 08:31 PM
I'm not trying to be smart but 3rd is the gear that I need. Thats the whole reason I'm rebuilting my motor and making this post.

Chef
10-16-2002, 08:45 PM
I don't ever use the clutch during a race....mine seems to be alright, and its had 3 years of hard abuse...lol

Sick0
10-16-2002, 08:53 PM
I'm was just wondering if anybody thats had a problem with third also had a problem with shifter. Mine was kinda sloppy. I finally fix the problem and then 3rd gear goes.

Crowdog
10-16-2002, 08:58 PM
My shifter seems fine. Just pops out of 3rd under heavy load.

Jon

Wheelie
10-17-2002, 09:33 AM
Shifter feel and slop was normal up to and after 3rd gear failed. Although going from 2nd to 4th was a PITA.