PDA

View Full Version : The strangest thing happend yesterday...

Flyin-Low
04-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Alright, here's my story.

I installed a SunLine adjustable fuel/air screw on my carb and set it to what I had it at before (1 turn out) and then rode it like all day and sometimes when I would hold it like 3/4 to WFO throttle for a long time on straight aways and stuff when I let off the gas it would just sputter and die out.

After waiting a few minutes it would fire back up again and would run mint.

Then I rode to my buddys house and was pullin' 5th gear wheelies and everything by his house and no problems. Then when I left I was cruising down the road 5th gear 'bout half throttle and it just sputtered out and died on the spot. It would NOT fire back up, and I couldn't bump start it. Pulled the spark plug out and it was very dry and a light brown color.

Then after being picked up and driven home, I set the quad in the shop and didn't touch it. I went to start it this morning and it fired RIGHT up without any persuasion. What's the big deal here? Why is my quad doing this to me?!

Any help would be appreciated.

-Martin

honda4life72
04-22-2007, 06:59 PM
have u checked to see if the screw came loose?

Flyin-Low
04-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Yes.

313racing
04-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Your best bet is to put the old one back in to see if it does it again. If it doesnt then ditch that fuel screw.

chris46250r
04-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Some of the aftermarket fuel screws have a different taper to them. One turn out on your new one is probally not the same as one turn out on your stock one.

ShiftFMX
04-22-2007, 08:23 PM
This may sound stupid, But to install a new Air Screw, All you have to do is screw the old one all the way out and screw the new one in right?? I'm sick of loosening the air boot and other clamp to turn the carb towards me

DirtDevilBT
04-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
This may sound stupid, But to install a new Air Screw, All you have to do is screw the old one all the way out and screw the new one in right?? I'm sick of loosening the air boot and other clamp to turn the carb towards me

right, but you will need to re-use the stock spring and O-ring that were on the stock screw. if the new screw it too long to make the turn into the carb, then the carb will need to be tilted

This problem doesn't sound fuel screw related. I think it's just cowincidnece (sp?,lol) The described problem sounds more like an overheating of an electrical part. Or something else. I am completely shooting in the dark here, not having the quad to test. The fuel screw is really only used at idle. I can't see any aftermarket screw (no matter how ugly it may be) cause what was described. But stick the damn stock one back in and find out.

400exrider707
04-23-2007, 05:58 AM
Mine did something similar, the CDI had bounced out of its rubber cradle from under the hood and was dangling by the cords, it wouldn't fully unplug because the way the plugs are set up, but it did unplug enough to make it spit and sputter, check to see its not hanging down.;)

Jem450ER
04-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Ya i agree with it being electrical. I installed a killswitch two weeks ago and yesterday while i was riding i noticed she'd start to bog here and there when at high speeds. Did a 180 to turn around and it just died on the spot wouldn't fire up. Then it'd half *** try to start. Started looking noticed one of my wires goin to the coil was loose. Plugged it back in and no more problems ;)