PDA

View Full Version : just got a 88 Honda fourtrax TRX300, have few questions

rebelbuggy
04-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I just picked up this 4 wheeler yesterday, got it off a local website for the state I live in anyways. It looks great for its age and runs good, just a few questions.

First: what is the new ones considered, I was looking up parts and it asked if it was a recon or this or whatever, what would it be equal to with the newer models?

second: I am haveing probs with the throttle cable. sometimes if you turn left the cable gets pulled on and it makes it give it more thorttle, I turn the adjustment at the throttle but its acting funky.

Do they make a twist thorttle for this bike??

Thrid: it has 5 gears and but when you give it gas it moves, how does it work, I mean is it just a cenferiacal cluth in it?

Will it hurt it if you leave it in 3rd gear or 2nd and start off? or is this okay, or should you always start in 2nd and shift up? This is going to be used to pull stuff around the yard and I cant see ever needing to get faster then 3rd gear.

Like I said just got it yesterday so been playing with it, It has the kick starter and but I tried to kick it a minute ago and it acted like it sliped and didnt catch , is this postible? or maybe I just didnt have it all the way in Nutral?

I am having to get used to not having a clutch as I own a 300EX.

that little plug on the side of the handle bars, I looked up online says it is a 12Volt power soruce. is it supposed to have a cover over it to protect the conectors?

Sorry for so many questions. I havent posted in forever my 300ex is runing great and I hardly ride anymore.

what is that round black thing on the side of the carb? is it a choke or something? it has choke up on the handle bar but not sure it works.

Thanks

rebelbuggy
04-22-2007, 06:47 PM
where is all the honda folks? out riding?

Okay What could spin inside the engine and not make the kick starter work? I was just trying to crank my four wheeler and it was really easy to kick and I could hear something spinning inside of the engine.

its the same noise I hear when I cut it off sometimes i hear something inside there spinning what is it?

or maybe thats just what a clutchless does? I never been around many of them.

but like I said the kick starter wasnt catching it was easy to do. i finally got it to work but it took a few trys

could they be someting in there messed up :eek: <---thats me if so.
I just got this thing, I know its used and its almost 20 yrs old but it LOOKS great .

maybe this isnt a big deal, please someone answer me.

thanks

dustin_j
04-23-2007, 06:50 PM
One thing you could try when kick starting it is to lift the little lever on the right side toward the front of the engine. You can see it in the picture you took if you look closely. This is a compression release to help it kick easier. I didn't really understand the problem you were having, so I hope this helps. As far as the machine, I would start in first gear every time. Second is ok, but if you are pulling anything around you'll probably tear the clutch apart starting in any gear but first. I say this just to be on the safe side. Good luck with your new machine!

rebelbuggy
04-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
One thing you could try when kick starting it is to lift the little lever on the right side toward the front of the engine. You can see it in the picture you took if you look closely. This is a compression release to help it kick easier. I didn't really understand the problem you were having, so I hope this helps. As far as the machine, I would start in first gear every time. Second is ok, but if you are pulling anything around you'll probably tear the clutch apart starting in any gear but first. I say this just to be on the safe side. Good luck with your new machine!

thanks. I didnt know, I guess its kinda like a car, you can start some im 2nd or something if 1st is really low, just as long as you have no load.